Trent woes

Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
Originally Posted by edmm
Another cancellation, this time for SYD next week. Only took about 5 minutes to get through on tthe phone, and once again they were very helpful in rebooking me.
My main fear is the return of HiFly.

Ditto.

Ive got three Perth flights coming up and my single HiFly experience on same, makes me feel slightly sick at the prospect.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:47 pm

HiFly is apparently coming back for a month. Too bad NZ isn't willing to take a leaf out of BA's book and wet lease a few QR A320s!

Honestly though, HiFly get you where you need to go safely and in a relatively civilised manner. At least on a flight the length of AKL-SYD you wouldn't get much different on a standard legacy carrier in Europe - I think we have just been spoiled with the quality of the offering on the Tasman from both NZ and QF - though I appreciate the lack of entertainment is felt a bit more keenly on the PER run.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by bce1
Ditto.

Ive got three Perth flights coming up and my single HiFly experience on same, makes me feel slightly sick at the prospect.
Grief. I avoided hifly to Perth last time. I flew VA 737 J and yes it was a bare bones PE experience but they had good food! Also the A330 is pretty nice. There is the risk of downgrades transcon but there's a middayish flight that seems pretty reliable for staying an A330. Maybe it's early afternoon. I've never had it downgraded but I've had other downgrades with VA but lucky that was personal and flying Y. That is only from MEL. BNE if they have any on the route I think is more high risk for downgrades.

I did book NZ PE to Perth when I thought this issue should be over but obviously didn't count on a second round of issues arising.

You probably already know the QF aircraft so you definitely have options. And you can fly through MEL SYD BNE which triples your options.

Originally Posted by Top of climb
HiFly is apparently coming back for a month. Too bad NZ isn't willing to take a leaf out of BA's book and wet lease a few QR A320s!

Honestly though, HiFly get you where you need to go safely and in a relatively civilised manner. At least on a flight the length of AKL-SYD you wouldn't get much different on a standard legacy carrier in Europe - I think we have just been spoiled with the quality of the offering on the Tasman from both NZ and QF - though I appreciate the lack of entertainment is felt a bit more keenly on the PER run.
I'd go QR if it was the lie-flat A320 J. I haven't flown a lot of QR but I think the crew is pretty comparable with NZ. Both pretty nice, approachable and not robotic. If it's those QR recliner chairs then NZ can place people on VA for now.

I agree with your comments re: Tasman vs Europe quality offerings.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Being proactive is a good idea. Hopefully NZ works with it.

Would be interesting to know if they will accommodate requests for reroutes or if they think they're still getting you there within a reasonable time frame and deny a reroute.
They moved all three of us (including an infant fare) to NZ6 without any issue or fee.
NZbutterfly likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Out of curiosity does anybody know what Air NZ offer as preferred routing to PER on the cancelled days?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Out of curiosity does anybody know what Air NZ offer as preferred routing to PER on the cancelled days?
On the days NZ doesn't fly their 789 to Perth during off peak it's NZ to MEL then VA onwards so I'm guessing they'll route through MEL or SYD then onto VA. From memory the MEL VA flight timed well for NZ but I think there's been a slight adjustment to timing.
- If flying Y on VA then pay for economy X for the legroom (although I'm not sure if that's an option with an NZ ticketed trip)
- No PE available on VA 737, A330
- IF flying J aim for the A330 on VA.

QF is probably an option but I'm not sure it's their preferred option.

At least that's the way it used to be. The VA divorce might change things.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:58 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I lodged RU's for Thu for 2 people to MEL. The flight was pretty empty, I don't expect that to be the case for much longer.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle
I lodged RU's for Thu for 2 people to MEL. The flight was pretty empty, I don't expect that to be the case for much longer.
Perth, Bali & Adelaide 789 cancellations, pax will likely be rerouted through east coast Oz affecting TT upgrades. I'd expect them to clear last minute if at all and count myself lucky if it clears earlier. Bali could get rerouted via SIN as a worst case scenario if they reach capacity TT.

I'm just guessing at this from the NZ route map and what seems most logical. Similar scenarios could be applied to Asia given the SQ CX partners if needed etc. Not a lot of options for the Americas though hence retiming and the need to get the 789s onto more suitable routes while they work through issues.

Upgrade expectations will need to be managed accordingly, especially where there are aircraft swaps with less capacity.

I wonder if fares will be affected by the changes. Like AKL-MEL if the Perth pax are scheduled onto this and the plane is pretty full.

Seems like the VA partnership will get a good work out before it ends. Really hope NZ have all of this sorted by the time October rolls around. Couldn't think of worse timing for all of this to be honest.

Edit: actually it looks like they use Garuda as well to Bali via SYD and MEL

Last edited by NZbutterfly; Apr 19, 2018 at 3:34 am
Old Apr 20, 2018, 1:49 am

Programs: Nz*G
There is 4 789s parked up in hangers at AKL!

This is just unreal the costs involved.

Hoping for no disruption to my IAH - AKL in couple weeks time!
Old Apr 20, 2018, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by Lpmnz
There is 4 789s parked up in hangers at AKL!

This is just unreal the costs involved.

Hoping for no disruption to my IAH - AKL in couple weeks time!
Hopefully they're just undergoing checks? or maintenance?

Last time around the planes actually had no engines attached and had the white cover across the windows. All the windows were covered. You knew they weren't flying any time soon but then you could see the planes disappear as they got back in the air one by one. See if there's any changes in position the next time you fly out or if they're all covered up looking like they're not going anywhere.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:30 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
It's checks, and if need something needs to be done the engines will go to RR Singapore, then Air NZ starts to get into trouble.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:51 am

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/pres...e-issue-update

It says checks should be completed tonight. So updates should be out soon.

Another NZ website said 9 engines were affected. I think we have 11 789s with 2 on order according to NZs own website (as of Dec 2017?)
Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: Air NZ*GE
Just had my old gran on the phone, flight from Perth this evening cancelled, was at the bottom of the rebook list. Ended up getting her on the 8am via Brissie to WLG.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by Rebound
It's checks, and if need something needs to be done the engines will go to RR Singapore, then Air NZ starts to get into trouble.
Just posted on Stuff and Radio NZ websites, two 787s failed the inspections and have been grounded. This is very bad news for Air NZ, and of course us as passengers.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by edmm
Just posted on Stuff and Radio NZ websites, two 787s failed the inspections and have been grounded. This is very bad news for Air NZ, and of course us as passengers.
Which I guess really means 3 or four engines failed.

Stuff saying investigating wet leases and that HiFly may be back next month (10ish days time)

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/103...n-to-travelers

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.