Wiki Posts
Search

Trent woes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2018, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G, United.
Trent woes

Air New Zealand passengers face more disruption as Dreamliners hit by further Rolls-Royce engine problems - NZ Herald

inspection frequency from 1:2000 cycles to 1:300. Talk of ETOPS range limited to 140 minutes.
RadioNZ says affects 9 of AirNZ fleet.
"Some disruption" expected.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by macdo
Air New Zealand passengers face more disruption as Dreamliners hit by further Rolls-Royce engine problems - NZ Herald

inspection frequency from 1:2000 cycles to 1:300. Talk of ETOPS range limited to 140 minutes.
RadioNZ says affects 9 of AirNZ fleet.
"Some disruption" expected.
Will HiFly make an return?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Just had one of my flights retimed next week on a 787 to Bali and back, hopefully no cancellations.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: Airpointes
Which routes would be effected by the 140 minutes ETOPS restriction? I cannot imagine the stress there would be at RR right now!
Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:12 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by graham_d
Which routes would be effected by the 140 minutes ETOPS restriction? I cannot imagine the stress there would be at RR right now!
Probably none. I wrote about this issue this morning but now understand both new aircraft have the TEN option while the rest of the fleet now have a Package B and a TEN engine. There isn't a reason to suspend ETOPS on an aircraft fitted with 2x TEN engines.

Doesn't mean it won't happen though..if it did it would affect all flights to North and South America.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Will HiFly make an return?
Is there any other company that offers a similar service to what high fly does? But with better planes? Although if NZ has now established a relationship with hi fly that may make it easier to return.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I think the Trent issue and associated additional maintenance inspections is also affecting THAI Airways flights BKK-AKL vv. The usual 777-200ER was recently changed to 787-900 - finally bringing a flat seat J to this route. TG has only 2 789s so far.

One of the 2 aircraft (HS-TWA) has not flown since 5 April, which means AKL has seen a 789 alternating with 787-800, 777-200ER and 777-300ER types on the other days. GDS loading shows a return to daily 789 services around 22 April. At least they have a large enough fleet to better absorb the impacts.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Is there any other company that offers a similar service to what high fly does? But with better planes? Although if NZ has now established a relationship with hi fly that may make it easier to return.
There must be a couple out there, HiFly is getting 2x A380s ex SQ shortly which are currently getting soft refits but keeping SQ product.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:07 am

I can't tell by the way that the article is written but is this now two issues? i.e. more frequent inspections required and one-off turbine blade maintenance

Either way this is going to cost someone a mint!
Old Apr 16, 2018, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Probably none. I wrote about this issue this morning but now understand both new aircraft have the TEN option while the rest of the fleet now have a Package B and a TEN engine. There isn't a reason to suspend ETOPS on an aircraft fitted with 2x TEN engines.

Doesn't mean it won't happen though..if it did it would affect all flights to North and South America.
Dont think ANZ has any Package B engines, 787-9 can only be powered by Cs or TENs.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
There must be a couple out there, HiFly is getting 2x A380s ex SQ shortly which are currently getting soft refits but keeping SQ product.
Combine the 2 AKL-LAX flights to hifly A380 SQ hard product just kidding...
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by rontse

Dont think ANZ has any Package B engines, 787-9 can only be powered by Cs or TENs.
Typo I didn't spot. I meant C.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: Air NZ*GE
Hmm my flight on NZ28 in early June is still listed as such and seats still allocated but when I go in to seat select saying not operated by Air Nz. One next week is fine still though although is now telling me I have no checked bags!
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by hodi
Hmm my flight on NZ28 in early June is still listed as such and seats still allocated but when I go in to seat select saying not operated by Air Nz. One next week is fine still though although is now telling me I have no checked bags!
My understanding is IAH is about to be moved back to a 777 to free up the TEN powered 789 from that route.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: Air NZ*GE
Originally Posted by sbiddle
My understanding is IAH is about to be moved back to a 777 to free up the TEN powered 789 from that route.
Ah great thanks. Think it will blow any pending APD chance from PE?

So is this a permanent maintenance requirement or is there a fix that will allow these craft to get back to prior schedules? I get lost in the technical deets!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.