Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trent woes

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Originally Posted by AndrewAndDebbie
Interesting. It is an FAA directive. Can NZ ignore it?
Would it impact insurance cover / cost if they ignored an FAA directive, even if they could do so legally here in NZ?
Old May 10, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
So, before everyone gets too alarmed, I think the quoted article has not expressed the situation clearly. DISCLAIMER : I am not an aviation expert, but I have actually read the AD, rather than the article about the AD.

I have checked the FAA website and the most recent AD I can find is from 26 April.

While it is a technical document and I don't profess to be an expert, it seems to me that EDTO 60 only applies if the aircraft is operating above a specific weight. Bear in mind that the AD seems to have been issued around the time NZ introduced refuelling stops on certain 787 services, my amateur opinion is that the article is referring to an existing situation rather than a new one. I can see nothing in the AD (I concede I may have missed something) which suggests EDTO 60 limits apply to affected 787 at all operating weights, only above a certain weight.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/airworthiness_directives/search/?q=787&makeModel=&type=Current&filter=&sort=docume ntNumber&direction=asc&startRow=26

Last edited by kiwiandrew; May 10, 2018 at 3:00 pm Reason: Added disclaimer
Old May 10, 2018, 3:35 pm

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/t...&utm_campaign=

with funny comment from Cymbo
Old May 10, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Hope NZ is getting priority fixes given they fly the 789s on really long routes!! And the 789 makes up just under half their long haul fleet.
Old May 11, 2018, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Hope NZ is getting priority fixes given they fly the 789s on really long routes!! And the 789 makes up just under half their long haul fleet.
Is Air NZ somehow special in this regard?
Old May 11, 2018, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by codyc1515
i guess they may have a smaller fleet and thus less flexibility so higher cost in terms of Boeing/Rolls Royce liability.

If they’re smart they may be able to use this situation to their advantage in terms of trying to guarantee revenue growth by potentially taking legal action based upon previous growth in passenger numbers/routes/occupancy etc and arguing that this situation has caused them to lose customers and bookings - there are already plenty of presumably independent accounts on this forum and likely elsewhere of people choosing not to book them due to downgrades/retiming and other uncertainties.

Carriers with more planes/flexibility may not be able to use the same arguments.
KiwiSurfer and codyc1515 like this.
Old May 11, 2018, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by codyc1515
In addition to what drajknox said Air NZ fly over a tonne of water. There aren't a lot of airports to divert to compared to say if your routes take you over land like Asia, Europe etc so some other airlines may have more options up their sleeves for rescheduling and rerouting planes.

Air NZ can place the 777s on the America routes but what about the Asian destinations? They've required fuel stops here and there, rerouting closer to airports. If they had to go down to 60mins I'm not sure that's even doable. I haven't looked but imagine wiping out all of those other routes. NZ do have JV's? with SQ and CX to Asia and can stop the seasonal flights like Bali and let other carriers take over but can you imagine the routes they wouldn't be able to fly and how that would really sting the company?

I can't say I've looked at the routes for the other companies but lets face it, NZ is really remote.
KiwiSurfer likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Looks like 9V-SVL has been registered ZK-OKI

Aircraft Hist | Civil Aviation Authority of New Zealand
Old May 15, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Looks like 9V-SVL has been registered ZK-OKI

Aircraft Hist Civil Aviation Authority of New Zealand
charming, from SQ and ex BCC... it is a great move and should have more of these, hope these are retro-fitted to NZ seats and will get a koru tail.
Yet, this aircraft is 16 years old... making this the newest addition but the oldest 772 to NZ?
Old May 15, 2018, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by mmonster
charming, from SQ and ex BCC... it is a great move and should have more of these, hope these are retro-fitted to NZ seats and will get a koru tail.
Yet, this aircraft is 16 years old... making this the newest addition but the oldest 772 to NZ?
Very much doubt it'll be re-fitted, I'd suggest it's purely been bought in to temporarily assist whilst RR engines are fixed.
Top of climb likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by mmonster
hope these are retro-fitted to NZ seats and will get a koru tail.
I don't. 3-3-3 in YCL and a straight facing 1-2-1 in JCL beats NZ's configuration any day of the week, thanks.
poopbunny likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
Isn't it one of their 2-2-2 in J ? in the almost flat recliner type?

BCE
Old May 15, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by bce1

BCE
Nope. 1-2-1 26J (2006 era) and 3-3-3 245Y
Old May 15, 2018, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by bce1

BCE
SQ have a few different versions of that aircraft. 1-2-1 would be great.
Old May 15, 2018, 6:11 pm

Seatmap of Singapore's 772: https://seatguru.com/airlines/Singap...200_ER_new.php

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.