Europe connecting flights

Old Apr 2, 18, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ*GE
Europe connecting flights

First world problem alert. Im increasingly doing a few stop overs in the UK and then connecting on to various European cities and back. Seems no use for *G, even the directs Ive booked via say Lufthansa have been farmed out and lounge entry refused. Is Priority pass the best option for those airport stays? Often have to get to Heathrow 4h prior to boarding, same with Berlin last trip. Unfortunately AirNZ haven't been able to ticket through with a stop over the last two so had to get separate flights. Wondered if there were any options Im missing to use current AirNZ status.
Old Apr 3, 18, 8:48 am

Programs: NZ Elite, BA Gold, QF Gold, AF Ivory, FlyBe, ANA, IHG Platinum Elite, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by hodi View Post
First world problem alert. Im increasingly doing a few stop overs in the UK and then connecting on to various European cities and back. Seems no use for *G, even the directs Ive booked via say Lufthansa have been farmed out and lounge entry refused. Is Priority pass the best option for those airport stays? Often have to get to Heathrow 4h prior to boarding, same with Berlin last trip. Unfortunately AirNZ haven't been able to ticket through with a stop over the last two so had to get separate flights. Wondered if there were any options Im missing to use current AirNZ status.
Are you saying that you are being refused lounge entry on *A shorthaul flights in Europe (such as LH)?
Old Apr 3, 18, 8:53 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by libertyuk View Post
Are you saying that you are being refused lounge entry on *A shorthaul flights in Europe (such as LH)?
He just found himself on a Eurowings flight which is not part of Star Alliance. Fly a Star airline and you'll get lounge access like everywhere else
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 18, 9:09 am

Programs: NZ Elite, BA Gold, QF Gold, AF Ivory, FlyBe, ANA, IHG Platinum Elite, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
He just found himself on a Eurowings flight which is not part of Star Alliance. Fly a Star airline and you'll get lounge access like everywhere else
Yes indeed, always avoid Eurowings as only LH group FFs can use their status on those flights for lounge access. From LHR, LH only flies to FRA and MUC nowadays, which is a change from a few years ago. Unless you want to go indirect through FRA or MUC, it's Eurowings or you may as well fly BA direct from LHR and credit to a OW FF account. Most cheap economy fares on LH group carriers earn neither APD nor status credits on Airpoints anyway.
Old Apr 3, 18, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Exactly this. Was the first time Id had to book a separate so thought oo theres a nice Lufthansa flight through their website, booking reference etc, didn't realise how the eurowings worked.

I think its BA then and priority pass, long for indirect just for points and lounge. Was looking at KLM fly blue but I imagine BA is a wider net for the coming years.

Thanks for the input!
Old Apr 3, 18, 4:11 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
IMNO unless you've got big $$ to throw away flying the premium carriers you're better off just flying on the LCCs around Europe with carry on only and putting up up with the short term pain.
Old Apr 3, 18, 8:16 pm

Programs: NZ*G, United.
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
IMNO unless you've got big $$ to throw away flying the premium carriers you're better off just flying on the LCCs around Europe with carry on only and putting up up with the short term pain.
Agree with this the prices are much better and most of them do a good job. I do get wary about tight connection if separate tickets though.
Looking back, the year Qantas status matched me coincided with a fair bit of European travel which opened up lounges with OW partners which was nice.
Old Apr 3, 18, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Im pretty confined to LHR and get maiden with bags to bring back but I agree, the Eurowings flight was actually no better or worse than BA!

Ah maybe Ill start crediting to Qantas, once Ive retained, and try my luck with a match next year.
Old Apr 3, 18, 9:22 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
I had a couple of Ryanair flights again last year which reminded me how truly horrible the flying experience can be. I flew some other LCC's incl Tranzavia and the experience was actually pretty good.

At the end of the day however if I'm flying in Europe and can buy a LCC ticket for 1/5th to 1/10th the price of a full service carrier I'll quite happily pay the LCC price for a 1hr flight. Having said that the experience of airlines like Ryanair is why full service carriers still exist in Europe - there are people who are willing to pay a huge premium just to be treated like a human being!
Old Apr 3, 18, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Do they still have the annoying but catchy jingle as you board? Its not often enough to worry too much about flying BA and I book far enough in advance to see the 70-120 buck prices usually. But yup will go on price from LHR and get priority pass for the longer waits I think.
Old Apr 4, 18, 5:36 am

Main problem with LCCs is if you are arriving into LHR you have to get to LGW, STN or LTN to fly on most of them, which take a lot of time and a less than fabulous coach trip if you want to go direct (or train-tube-train (train/train when Crossrail opens) or tube/train depending on the airport and how long you want to take). Main problem with BA is that your earning on QFF is low, but better than nothing, but T5 is reasonably civilised (though all BA short-haul flights have Buy on Board for all food and beverages in Y now).
Old Apr 4, 18, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA Premier Platinum, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Originally Posted by libertyuk View Post
Yes indeed, always avoid Eurowings as only LH group FFs can use their status on those flights for lounge access.
This is incorrect. UA and NH *G get lounge access as well.
Old Apr 5, 18, 10:07 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by hodi View Post
I think its BA then and priority pass, long for indirect just for points and lounge. Was looking at KLM fly blue but I imagine BA is a wider net for the coming years.
You might want to consider a look at the Alaska Airlines programme and priority pass as a combo. It works surprisingly well for kiwis that do a lot of intra-EU flights and to and fro between NZ-US and NZ-EU. Added bonus: their earn/burn rates are often better on a given partner airline than the in-alliance earn/burn rates generally are.
Old Apr 7, 18, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks man I will do, may hit you up for some further info. I wonder if a sensible option for my old man who's in UK, doing to an NZ flight and loads of Bostons per year too.