Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

2 h lax at mid-day from TBI to terminal 6.

Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ *E

I’ve had a mid week flight booked for me to Canada via LAX in NZ2 which will arrive in LAX ~12:30pm. Only have 2 h to make connection at terminal 6. Both air NZ and Air Canada in J class. I will have

its been almost a year since I flew trough LA, and 2 hours seems very tight from my several painful experiences there historically and my last time in June last year I ended up spending the night in LA after missing a connection., (though when look on line air nz seems to sell this connection happily each day.)

i’ll be on a new passport so will get the X no doubt.

Had LA picked it’s game up recently?

One way I could reduce a few minutes is have no checked bags. Presumably Air Canada will let me have two carry on bags in business, if I’ve come off air nz that do.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: NZ *E
You'll probably be ok since you'll clear US immigration in Canada -- just take the tunnel airside to TBIT
Old Mar 30, 2018, 5:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by samjnz
You'll probably be ok since you'll clear US immigration in Canada -- just take the tunnel airside to TBIT

Arriving from New Zealand, OP will clear US customs and immigrations at LAX and then check-in and depart with AC - so he/she will have entered the U.S.; On the return from Canada, formalities would be handled on departure from Canada and that would then make for a 'domestic' arrival in the US. Coming from NZ, that's not the case. Line up for immigrations, collect your bags, go through customs, recheck - head to AC.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:51 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
You should be OK. The important thing to do is find the special transit security in TBIT. It's after you drop your bag at the baggage transfer counter(s). It'll be on your right, well before you re-enter the main area of the terminal. Much shorter queues and you can then use the underground tunnels between those terminals while within the secure area.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:21 am

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by jawnbc
You should be OK. The important thing to do is find the special transit security in TBIT. It's after you drop your bag at the baggage transfer counter(s). It'll be on your right, well before you re-enter the main area of the terminal. Much shorter queues and you can then use the underground tunnels between those terminals while within the secure area.
I wouldn't bother with transit security to T6 - much quicker to run along the curbside and clear security there than try and navigate the tunnel, especially if you've never done it before.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by samyoull
I wouldn't bother with transit security to T6 - much quicker to run along the curbside and clear security there than try and navigate the tunnel, especially if you've never done it before.
i have used the tunnels going the other direction before. I thought I would be forced though to clear customs on arrival to LAX and end up curb-side without being able to get to the tunnels.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: NZ *E
Whoops.... I totally read that journey the wrong way around.

Is it all on one ticket?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by samjnz
Whoops.... I totally read that journey the wrong way around.

Is it all on one ticket?
yep, one PNR. I know if I miss my connection, I should be put on another flight. I’m surprised the air nz go with a 2h transit for LAX, as my prior experience there is it’s next to impossible, unless LAX CBP have improved recently.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by wackyflyer

i have used the tunnels going the other direction before. I thought I would be forced though to clear customs on arrival to LAX and end up curb-side without being able to get to the tunnels.
You would clear security at TBIT and use the tunnels to get to T6. There is a special transit security point near arrivals. Walking to T6 outside curb would be a more straightforward route, but the transit security at TBIT is very quick and often has no lines at all.

You won't get an X at CBP because of a new passport. The X for first-time visitors has nothing to do with their passports, it's because CBP doesn't have their fingerprints on file.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Kumulani

You won't get an X at CBP because of a new passport. The X for first-time visitors has nothing to do with their passports, it's because CBP doesn't have their fingerprints on file.
That certainly doesn't match my experience, or that of literally everybody I know who's visited in the past few years on a new passport and ESTA. It's an automatic X even if you've entered the US before.
brucelee likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sbiddle
That certainly doesn't match my experience, or that of literally everybody I know who's visited in the past few years on a new passport and ESTA. It's an automatic X even if you've entered the US before.
And you can find people on the Travel Safety/Security forum who came on a new passport/ESTA and everything worked fine. Anecdotes about you or other people getting an X are meaningless unless you specify the referral code. There is no code for "new passport" or "new ESTA." One of the most common codes is BF (Biometric Failure). It means either your fingerprints aren't in the system (new visitor) or your fingerprints couldn't be matched to ones existing in the system (very common for returning visitors). There are many other reasons someone could get an X, including passport expiring in less than 6 months, answering yes to any customs declaration question, or being randomly selected, all which have their own referral codes.

When CBP introduced the APC kiosks, they were very specific about which ESTA travelers could use them. They said anyone who visited since 2008. 2008 being the year they started taking fingerprints. They did not say people who had visited at least once since getting their last passport or ESTA. They wanted people who did not have their fingerprints taken to just skip the kiosks because they were guaranteed an X.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I don't dispute your comments.. but when the only time I've had it fail with an X since kiosks started in 2014 out of ~15ish visits was on a new passport and ETSA, the only time my GF has had it fail was on a new passport and ESTA, and at least 3 people I know who are also frequent travelers to the US have only had a X on a new passport and ESTA, it seems a little beyond coincidence.

The CBP agent even told me traveling on a new passport and ESTA will result in an X.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kumulani
You would clear security at TBIT and use the tunnels to get to T6. There is a special transit security point near arrivals. Walking to T6 outside curb would be a more straightforward route, but the transit security at TBIT is very quick and often has no lines at all.

I haven’t noticed the transit security before at TBIT. Once you have cleared customs, from memory you take your back to the bag transfer area on the right.

where is the transit security in relation to this?

I’ve taken the tunnels in the opposite direction, but once again, from memory the T4-TBIT walkway is up above the departure area, as when I did it last I had to come down an escalator to get to the Air NZ gate I was using, so I’ll need to get up to this from transit security?
thanks.

Last edited by wackyflyer; Apr 1, 2018 at 12:16 am
Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by jawnbc
I tried using this today and either I didn't see it or, if it was the one I thought it was, they prevented me from using it because I wasn't flying American Airlines. Just to be clear, do you walk out of the baggage drop-off area and then go to the right? That's what I did today and they wouldn't let me use it. Instead, I went to Terminal 4 and used the one there (I was flying back from AKL and wanted to use the International lounge to shower before flying on UA to SEA).
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
You complete passport control, grab your checked bags and follow the transfer signage. Drop your bags on the indicated transfer baggage belt. As you go to leave that area it is on your right hand. The sign says something like "gates 40-130". If you miss the transfer security, you would continue up and into the main part of the TBIT terminal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.