FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Chicago Launched (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1900974-chicago-launched.html)

Mikeynz Mar 27, 2018 2:08 pm

Chicago Launched

I see Chicago has now been launched from Nov 18 - will make for a new fun destination.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b2d001c9c5.png

hodi Mar 27, 2018 2:16 pm

Man gutted, going in August, non stop would've been sweet.

johnnyfive Mar 27, 2018 2:16 pm

Here’s the media release

libertyuk Mar 27, 2018 3:19 pm

and only ~2hrs15m from O'Hare to Newark for New York (<2hrs to DC), down from ~3.5hours from IAH. That's a big gain, avoiding a long transcontinental trip on UA, although ORD is nothing special, no US airport is.

mmonster Mar 27, 2018 5:35 pm

this is exciting! but I think they need to place more order for new planes. increasing destination is one thing, but increasing frequencies is another important thing. Weren't they supposed to do a big PR when Obama was here?

jawnbc Mar 27, 2018 5:57 pm

Woo hoo! Getting to NYC and Montréal will be so much easier!

smanch Mar 27, 2018 6:04 pm

This is great! At the moment, searches from NZ to BOS on the NZ site or on Kayak don't include AKL-ORD as an option but presumably this will change soon? There are tons of ORD-BOS flights daily

Xiaotung Mar 27, 2018 6:11 pm

Just been playing around the Airpoints calculator. Can anyone explain why you would earn less APD on AKL-ORD than AKL-LAX/SFO in Economy?

sbiddle Mar 27, 2018 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by samuelmehr (Post 29574602)
This is great! At the moment, searches from NZ to BOS on the NZ site or on Kayak don't include AKL-ORD as an option but presumably this will change soon? There are tons of ORD-BOS flights daily

These are the permitted routes on a single NZ ticket -

LAX/SFO-NZ/UA/VX/DL/AS-BOS
HOU-NZ/UA-BOS
CHI-UA-BOS
LAX/SFO-UA-DEN/CHI/HOU-UA-BOS

sbiddle Mar 27, 2018 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Xiaotung (Post 29574615)
Just been playing around the Airpoints calculator. Can anyone explain why you would earn less APD on AKL-ORD than AKL-LAX/SFO in Economy?

Are you comparing the same fare booking class and basis?

IAH is the same pricing as ORD so earn should be the same between both routes. This will differ to earn to SFO/LAX.

smanch Mar 27, 2018 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 29574683)
These are the permitted routes on a single NZ ticket -

LAX/SFO-NZ/UA/VX/DL/AS-BOS
HOU-NZ/UA-BOS
CHI-UA-BOS
LAX/SFO-UA-DEN/CHI/HOU-UA-BOS

I don't understand this syntax — does CHI-UA-BOS mean that one can fly AKL-ORD on NZ and continue ORD-BOS on UA on the same ticket?

Xiaotung Mar 27, 2018 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 29574685)
Are you comparing the same fare booking class and basis?

IAH is the same pricing as ORD so earn should be the same between both routes. This will differ to earn to SFO/LAX.

Yes, for example:

AKL-LAX P class: 13 APD/28 SP
AKL-ORD P class: 12 APD/34 SP

AKL-LAX S class: 21.60 APD/50 SP
AKL-ORD S class: 20.20 APD/50 SP

Ok, some of the FFP's are revenue based and some are distance based. What is the basis of these NZ earning rates?

TPJ Mar 27, 2018 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by samuelmehr (Post 29574688)
I don't understand this syntax — does CHI-UA-BOS mean that one can fly AKL-ORD on NZ and continue ORD-BOS on UA on the same ticket?

Yes - exactly...

smanch Mar 27, 2018 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by TPJ (Post 29574766)
Yes - exactly...

Ah ok. So I guess we can expect that the NZ site, OTAs etc should start to populate their searches with WLG-BOS flights routed through ORD at some point soon then? At the moment I couldn't get any search to yield WLG-AKL-ORD-BOS on the same ticket, but I guess it was just launched so perhaps the databases take awhile to update...

sbiddle Mar 27, 2018 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by samuelmehr (Post 29574688)

Yes. They are the possible add-on combinations for US domestic addons.