Chicago Launched

Old Mar 27, 18, 8:25 pm

Don't forget you have to change terminals in ORD as the only facility capable of accepting international arrivals is T5, and UA connections will depart from B/C in T1. USCBP at T5 can also be pretty bad. I think I would still favour IAH as an easier transfer point.
Old Mar 27, 18, 8:27 pm

I imagine this working well for OD traffic, less so for the connections described. People in NZ might want to escape their winter for the Chicago summer, and vice versa. But I doubt people from the northeast US wanting to see the NZ summer would prefer to connect in snowy Chicago over sunny Houston or LA.
Old Mar 27, 18, 8:41 pm

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
With all my back and forth between the states and NZ I've found that the longer the long haul, the more pleasant the trip, as I can actually get a full night's sleep with the 14-15 hours to IAH relative to LAX/SFO. So I'll enjoy the longer 15-16 to ORD.

With so many more connections to my usual cities of BOS, YUL, YOW from ORD relative to IAH, it'll also make for way more convenient connections, especially when delays come up. One time we got stuck in LAX for 15 hours and had to tack on an extra red-eye to YOW because we missed the only LAX-YOW connection after an NZ delay. From ORD on UA there are 3 daily nonstop to YOW, 5 to YUL, and upwards of 8-10 to BOS. I think this'll be great!

And re CBP ... Global Entry makes that pretty much irrelevant.

So I say "yippee" to this new service!
Old Mar 27, 18, 9:41 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E
I'm happy a bout the route as I go there at least once a year, 5 times a week would be a bit better though a good start I guess.
Old Mar 27, 18, 10:38 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
I still think IAH will be better, but I think Air NZ can sustain both IAH and ORD successfully. Would hate to be in economy on that ULH flight though...
Old Mar 28, 18, 4:46 am

Programs: UA 1K; VA Gold; QF Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; National ExecElite
Living in SYD with employer’s global HQ in Chicago, this will be great. I’d rather fly SYD-AKL-ORD than SYD-wherever-ORD.
Old Mar 28, 18, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Top of climb View Post
Don't forget you have to change terminals in ORD as the only facility capable of accepting international arrivals is T5, and UA connections will depart from B/C in T1. USCBP at T5 can also be pretty bad.
The good news is, that suboptimal situation is temporary. ORD is about to start a massive renovation / upgrade that will concentrate *A in T1, OW in T3, miscellaneous other international airlines in a new T2, and T5 will become the leftovers terminal for domestic carriers with less ORD presence. If NZ makes this route work and everyone has patience, transfers will become a lot easier in a few years.
Old Mar 28, 18, 7:26 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
The good news is, that suboptimal situation is temporary. ORD is about to start a massive renovation / upgrade that will concentrate *A in T1, OW in T3, miscellaneous other international airlines in a new T2, and T5 will become the leftovers terminal for domestic carriers with less ORD presence. If NZ makes this route work and everyone has patience, transfers will become a lot easier in a few years.
Although this isn't going to be (fully) complete til 2025, correct? Until then, anyone who thinks LAX is a bad international-domestic transit is going to be in for a shock at ORD. Domestic to International is going to be annoying as well if they depart out of T5.
Old Mar 28, 18, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by ajnz View Post
Although this isn't going to be (fully) complete til 2025, correct? Until then, anyone who thinks LAX is a bad international-domestic transit is going to be in for a shock at ORD. Domestic to International is going to be annoying as well if they depart out of T5.
Work is starting shortly -- the city just OK'd a $4 billion bond float to make the project go -- and it will open in stages between 2020 and 2025. One main motive, if it's any solace, is to address the poor international transfer situation. On a per capita basis, Chicago has much less nonstop international service compared to NY or LA. It is hoped that the new deal will redress that, in part by enabling easy same-terminal alliance-based transfers (AA --> BA, NZ --> UA, etc.)

https://www.airportrevenuenews.com/o...lans-revealed/
Old Mar 28, 18, 11:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Originally Posted by ajnz View Post
Domestic to International is going to be annoying as well if they depart out of T5.
Why? Just walk from the UA gate to T3 and take the airside bus to T5. The walk from T1 to T3 would be about the same as walking from the UA gates to the international gates at SFO or IAH (and shorter if the UA flight arrives at T2), and much shorter than at LAX.

Last edited by DoTheBartMan; Mar 28, 18 at 11:54 am
Old Mar 28, 18, 11:56 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Twice a year minimum for me to Chicago . . so its a yes from me. The only but . . . I travel April and October so outside the November - March running of this service.
Old Mar 29, 18, 12:10 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by kiwicyclo View Post
Twice a year minimum for me to Chicago . . so its a yes from me. The only but . . . I travel April and October so outside the November - March running of this service.
Huh? It's not a seasonal route.
Old Mar 29, 18, 6:34 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by DoTheBartMan View Post
Why? Just walk from the UA gate to T3 and take the airside bus to T5. The walk from T1 to T3 would be about the same as walking from the UA gates to the international gates at SFO or IAH (and shorter if the UA flight arrives at T2), and much shorter than at LAX.
Ah. This is new to me - when I last had to do a connection like this at ORD, the connection bus was only available for AA/BA passengers as they were running the service. I see now that ORD is offering it for all airlines, since mid-2017. You are right that this makes it less bad, but still requires a bus ride (and lengthy walk) leaving tight connections at risk.
Old Mar 29, 18, 1:37 pm

Location: MSP, WLG, or the forward most A seat in Y I can get
Programs: UA Gold (and all the derivatives on cars and hotels that implies)
The announcement of the schedule has timings through the end of the Northern Winter season, and then no details on how the service will operate from April to October when the US is 17 hours behind. I think we can infer, however, that NZ will aim to keep a schedule that allows for connections across to Australia on arrival. This implies actually a pretty quick turnaround time given the length of the flight and the time difference. It might be that April - October the flight arrives into Auckland slightly later, or has to leave slightly earlier to allow sufficient ground time in CHicago to turn the plane.

The relatively tight turns implied by the schedule are different than the California or even Houston service, and this will be an interesting new challenge for NZ's operations to North America.
Old Mar 29, 18, 5:15 pm
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by evanroberts View Post
The relatively tight turns implied by the schedule are different than the California or even Houston service, and this will be an interesting new challenge for NZ's operations to North America.
Not to mention different weather issues at ORD. I never connect there without a long transit and/or multiple options to deal with weather disruptions.

Search this Thread