Wiki Posts
Search

status point rollover detail

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
status point rollover detail

Hi, I'm 1 status point away from renewing NZ*E status (sigh) and wanted to confirm a detail about the status point rollover. In past years when I wasn't *E I remember earning some N points greater than the threshold for renewal, but because they were all awarded on the same day, my "status point counter" reset to 0 and I didn't get the remaining N points at all. I remember calling the center to inquire and they said that points earned on the same day as a renewal didn't count for anything.

I just want to confirm that this is not the case given the Elite rollover: I should earn 200 points or so on a long haul next week and just want to be sure that 199 of them will get counted (besides the 1 that renews my status). Has anyone done this recently and can confirm? If it's not the case, and the 199 points will disappear (with additional status points for flights in the next few months going into the rollover), then I can change my account to UA and earn there instead, just so that I don't waste the points.

thanks
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: Air NZ*GE
I had the same moving up the first time, lost all of the points beyond the few I needed. (awful, disrespectful policy in my opinion).

If you are 1 off retaining GE you will see 1549 showing with 851 to bank a year on your calculator, by your renewal date after which you roll over any less that 2400 or lose any over 2400. I think!
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
Gotcha. So right now it shows 1349, and you're saying that when I earn the 200 next week I'll retain Elite and have a further 199 toward the max of 2400 to roll over? I wonder if it's worth my confirming this with the call centre because it would be a real waste for those 199 to just disappear.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:51 pm

I'm 95% sure thats the case, mainly because Im fairly sure I would still be fuming if any roll overs were lost. I can distinctly remember when I banked a year and the progress bar just changed to 2400 with the totals remaining, but I would call if I were you. Let me know though!
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Your points in excess of 1350 simply become rollover points - your balance keeps going up but the rollover balance also starts accruing.

When you hit the required points for Gold or Silver all points over that are in effect wasted if you don't meet the next threshold since they don't have rollover points.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:33 am

Programs: Nz*G
Hi all

just regarding the rollover points, I will retain elite on my outbound trip to sfo next month, the return sp from Iah what happens to them? My renewal date is May 20.

thanks
Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:46 am

They'll be added to the continuing total. If you make 2400 before may 20th you'll bank a year, if not I think you'll start the next cycle of Elite with the balance over 1350.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:49 am

Oh really that’s bloody great news, I was worried the 150 odd for trip home would be lost!
Excellent thabks
Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by hodi
They'll be added to the continuing total. If you make 2400 before may 20th you'll bank a year, if not I think you'll start the next cycle of Elite with the balance over 1350.
Unfortunately rollover points don't count towards a banked year the following year:
"Status Points that are rolled over from the preceding membership year cannot be used for the purpose of qualifying for a banked year. "
That is from the Air NZ website: https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/elite-benefits
Old Mar 26, 2018, 1:06 am

Just good for retaining elite again yeah?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 1:18 am

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by Lpmnz
Just good for retaining elite again yeah?
Yes, rollover points are only good for maintaining Elite. It doesn't worry me because I get a banked year every year, and any points over 2400 are "wasted". But it is relevant as my wife just retains Elite each year and her rollover points can be very relevant. That gives the kids two Elite Partner statuses to argue over (whose turn it is) rather than just mine! Thus for the sake of familial harmony it is very important to understand the system.

Last edited by edmm; Mar 26, 2018 at 1:24 am Reason: Clarification.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by edmm
Unfortunately rollover points don't count towards a banked year the following year:
"Status Points that are rolled over from the preceding membership year cannot be used for the purpose of qualifying for a banked year. "
That is from the Air NZ website: https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/elite-benefits
Yup, anyone know if it auto adjusts, as in if you retain Elite with say 500 SP roll over, it'll then say 1550 til banked year?

Couldn't give my partner card away this year, everyone at work was either gold or not travelling!
Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Hi. Slightly different tack, just an enquiry into whether points earned by flying AirNZ are rolled over towards the 810 required for AirNZ Status points, or whether they are totalled towards the 1350 required overall. In other words if I have 60 status points rolled over from AirNZ travel, do I need to earn just 750 in the following year from AirNZ travel, or do those 60 status points just contribute towards the 1350 required overall. The wording of the rollover regulations is a little unclear on this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Rollover points are split between NZ metal earn and *A / credit card earn.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zoovet
Hi. Slightly different tack, just an enquiry into whether points earned by flying AirNZ are rolled over towards the 810 required for AirNZ Status points, or whether they are totalled towards the 1350 required overall. In other words if I have 60 status points rolled over from AirNZ travel, do I need to earn just 750 in the following year from AirNZ travel, or do those 60 status points just contribute towards the 1350 required overall. The wording of the rollover regulations is a little unclear on this.
But the airnz app is very clear in showing the split
CLICK on the carried forward points (just above the banked years) ...it brings up another box
This box breaks down Airnz flights from the others SP
The main bar automatically shows only the airnz shortfall when you have reached the "other's SP requirement )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.