Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air New Zealand B787-9N Avoid Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air New Zealand B787-9N Avoid Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
I understand seats can have quirks and stuff breaks on occasion. And yes, overhead bin space is reduced due to storing bedding but business has fewer people so less bags to store. However, I wouldn't recommend people avoid Air New Zealand business just because of those issues, which aren't unique to Air NZ. If jls1890 insists on avoiding business, I'm sure someone in economy would be willing to trade
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by wackyflyer
I don't know if there is a NZ code on this or if it's covered under consumer guaranties somewhere.
The NZ Consumer Guarantees Act requires that goods must be substantially as described and advertised. If they are not then the airline has the right to make the problem right, which in the case of a flight & seat would mean moving OP to a working seat.

The layout of table and IFE are not covered as that's simply the way they are; they're sold that way. The food is also not covered unless you argue it was not fit for human consumption - simply not liking it isn't good enough. If NZ can't or won't fix the problem at the time - and given the nature of the problem the OP needs to have complained to the FSD at the time. If OP did bring it to their attention and they couldn't, wouldn't, or simply didn't resolve the issue then OP is entitled under NZ law to ask for a refund and can follow it up at law via the Disputes Tribunal (Small Claims court). If OP didn't bring it to NZ's attention at the time then OP may be out of luck as they would be deemed to have accepted the goods/service as provided.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:05 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
The NZ Consumer Guarantees Act requires that goods must be substantially as described and advertised. If they are not then the airline has the right to make the problem right, which in the case of a flight & seat would mean moving OP to a working seat.
The NZ Consumer Guarantees Act will only apply if the ticket was purchased directly in New Zealand.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Not really a trip report. What would you advice if you have to fly Air New Zealand? Flying Economy?
Given my experience I would recommend another airline! Even if you purchase a business class seat, Air NZ apparently does not feel obligated to provide a working one. The cabin crew knew the seat wasn't functional and hadn't been for at least the last 2 flights! They were able to get the seat into the flat position for sleeping. Unfortunately the foot portion of the seat fell off leaving an awkward feeling. It also didn't help that the pilot encountered turbulence for literally the majority of the flight. We all felt like we were back on the cruise ship crossing the Tasman Sea in bad weather!

Originally Posted by dadig
[Conforming moderator edit to original quote.] The herringbone seating has been around for years as is the 789 layout, the only relative new experience is no bedding allowed behind window seats
[Moderator edit.] Air NZ has so far refused to either talk or correspond with me to resolve the issue. I have called their US customer service number, been on hold for over 45 minutes to be told that they do not deal with completed flight problems. I have sent and email and received an automated response thanking me for my 'correspondence' but they are 'quite busy' and will attempt to respond in next 15 days. Their suggestion to private message them through their Facebook or Twitter accounts for more prompt attention resulted in the same advice of how terribly busy they are!
As a trip report, my suggestion is to avoid the Air NZ as they seem uninterested in providing their customers any a quality experience. They knew the seat was broken - even had a crank on hand to get it to fold flat. Problems happen and can be forgiven if promptly addressed and corrected in an equitable manner. [Moderator edit per FT Rule 12 to discuss the topic, not members in a personalized way.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 10, 2018 at 8:55 am Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member; edited second post per FT Rule 12.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: NZ *E
Really? I agree that much food in the US is drowned in sauces and salt, and comes from low quality ingredients, but the food in NZ is usually amazing for freshness, quality, and the sheer range of inventiveness.
Oh I agree -- I love New Zealand food but it doesn't seem to resonate with my American friends.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by samjnz
Oh I agree -- I love New Zealand food but it doesn't seem to resonate with my American friends.
I have no problem with the taste of it (I just wish they would have more tomato-free options due to my allergy!). In fact, Air NZ goes "out of their way" to have a typical American breakfast for those in Business and Premium Economy.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:29 pm

Funny, how many here think the NZ J food is good, yet plate the very same J meal like Y (a la "Hi Fly")
Hi -Fly Downgrade (or Upgrade?)
and many trashes it.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by jls1890
Given my experience I would recommend another airline! Even if you purchase a business class seat, Air NZ apparently does not feel obligated to provide a working one. The cabin crew knew the seat wasn't functional and hadn't been for at least the last 2 flights!
Major seat repairs can involve removing the seat and either swapping it out or pulling it apart completely to repair it, a task that can't necessarily be done between flights, and with the current 789 issues and high aircraft utilisation potentially poses issues doing this if it's what is required.

I'm assuming you would have been far happier if they'd blocked out that seat meaning you would have had an operational downgrade because no seat was available? Didn't think so..
Old Mar 10, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
American food, deep fried, doughy, drowned in dressings, everything tastes sweet, sugar added to everything . . . . . . . USA > NZ bound flight fare is very different than NZ > USA bound flights . . . . . . . .

Love the Air NZ Business Class Seats . . . have spent many a happy hours sleeping very comfortably in them. 128,026 km this year alone. :-P
Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
The NZ Consumer Guarantees Act will only apply if the ticket was purchased directly in New Zealand.
True, but I was under the impression that all Air NZ transactions did, in fact, occur in NZ. I've only done a few direct with NZ, but the credit card bills clearly indicated a New Zealand transaction event. If the ticket was bought through a third party OTA then the OP is probably SOL on the CGA front.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:58 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum One, United 1K 2MM
Being Melbourne based and having Air NZ as my #1 choice for business flying between NZ and US the only thing I can concur with is the Bedding situation that fills up the overhead bins and causes problems during boarding especially with the first couple of rows in Business Premier. Personally I love the seat, bedding and the 2 full size pillows that both Qantas and Virgin Australia don't seem to want to provide. The food is great, entertainment better than most. I hope Air NZ can sort something out with the bedding storage issues.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
The bedding problem has only existed since last year when the CAA in NZ made them remove the bedding from blocking the vents in A/K.

I'm not sure there is actually much that can be done as the bedding won't be able to ever go back behind the seat in these rows if it is going to block the vents. At least there are no storage issues with the B/J seats on the 777, or J on the 789.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by sbiddle
The bedding problem has only existed since last year when the CAA in NZ made them remove the bedding from blocking the vents in A/K.

I'm not sure there is actually much that can be done as the bedding won't be able to ever go back behind the seat in these rows if it is going to block the vents. At least there are no storage issues with the B/J seats on the 777, or J on the 789.
When I was removing the bedding from my seat after use on a recent flight, the flight attendant had me attach it to the back of the seat with the seat belt. When I said I thought we couldn't put it behind the seat anymore, he said it was ok if it was belted to the back as this didn't block the vents because it was elevated a bit. Don't know if this is true or not but I thought it was interesting.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
True, but I was under the impression that all Air NZ transactions did, in fact, occur in NZ. I've only done a few direct with NZ, but the credit card bills clearly indicated a New Zealand transaction event. If the ticket was bought through a third party OTA then the OP is probably SOL on the CGA front.
I don't believe so. A recent transaction from airnz.com:
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
I don't disagree with OP on avoiding the AirNZ B789.
Except the only reason I avoid this plane is the narrow narrow seat width. With is substandard. No other reason.
B77W are fine. AirNZ made a conscious decision to make the B789 business product a poor cousin.
In context I am 135,000km for 2018 on a bundle of different airlines business products.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.