Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air New Zealand B787-9N Avoid Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:58 am
Original Poster

The business class seats are individual seats angled across the the plane for seats A J & K. Seats J & K are angled towards each other. Seats A face the back of the J seats. Sounds good doesn't it? Well it is terrible! the first 3 rows in the middle do not have overhead storage for carry on luggage. The bins opposite are half filled with the bedding for the 6 seats. The seat backs fold forward to form the flat sleeping surface and require a mattress for comfort.
The tray tables pop up near the foot rest with the entertainment system folding out to be positioned directly in front of the tray. If you want to watch a movie during dinner you must position the tray and TV prior to food delivery. Otherwise, the food must be picked up whilst moving the tray towards you.
However, since the food is absolutely terrible, you may not be eating anyway!
My seat was broken - had been for the last 2 flights - so a crank was needed to manually adjust the seat. Air New Zealand has not responded to my requests for an adjustment to my ticket purchase. They need 15 days to read their email!!!!
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Not really a trip report. What would you advice if you have to fly Air New Zealand? Flying Economy?
ChiefNWA likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Oh the horror.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: NZ *E
I feel on the food it's more of a taste preference between US and New Zealand cuisine. I find that on US carriers the food is usually way too spicy and saucy (and feels quite heavy) but friends from the US visiting New Zealand mention that it's too bland when eating out.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I've never once heard or seen anybody complain about not being able to set up their screen during meal service. Nor have I ever seen this mentioned in the hundreds of trip reviews I've read. Surely you don't just decide half way through the service that you want to watch something?

As for no overhead bins at the front in the middle this is no different to any of the 787s or 777s of any airline as it's the emergency exit for the pilot rest area. You can also thank the NZ CAA rather than Air NZ for bedding having to be now be stored in the overhead bins rather than blocking the ventilation as it has done for the prior 13 years.

Despite the aging seat designs and multiple other issues I could mention I think the combination of the folding seat and memory foam mattress deliver one of the best sleep experiences on any business seat on any airline, something that most people I know all agree with. This is the prime reason Air NZ have not changed the seat design as customer feedback also paints this same picture. You would certainly be in a minority to not enjoy the sleep experience.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: Air NZ*GE
I shall cancel my confirmed RUs immediately.

Foods always been excellent in J on Air NZ but admittedly never flown J on a US carrier. Have heard the angled issue before though but usually try get the back ones tucked away.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
[Moderator edit -- see below.] The herringbone seating has been around for years as is the 789 layout, the only relative new experience is no bedding allowed behind window seats

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 10, 2018 at 8:53 am Reason: Per FT Rule 12: to discuss the topic not members in a personalized way.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:57 pm

Most business class seats "require" a mattress for (sleeping) comfort. NZ is one of the few airlines that actually provide one! And its not some thin pretend thing either....
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by trooper
Most business class seats "require" a mattress for (sleeping) comfort. NZ is one of the few airlines that actually provide one! And its not some thin pretend thing either....
Air NZ Business is one of the best for sleeping I find as a result, also two large pillows - Emirates is terrible for pillows.
trooper and Flyerholic like this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Rebound
Air NZ Business is one of the best for sleeping I find as a result, also two large pillows - Emirates is terrible for pillows.
Ha! Yes the pillows are scrawny on some other carriers or have more of a cushion type quality than actual pillow.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E
Originally Posted by jls1890
The business class seats are individual seats angled across the the plane for seats A J & K. Seats J & K are angled towards each other. Seats A face the back of the J seats. Sounds good doesn't it? Well it is terrible! the first 3 rows in the middle do not have overhead storage for carry on luggage. The bins opposite are half filled with the bedding for the 6 seats. The seat backs fold forward to form the flat sleeping surface and require a mattress for comfort.
The tray tables pop up near the foot rest with the entertainment system folding out to be positioned directly in front of the tray. If you want to watch a movie during dinner you must position the tray and TV prior to food delivery. Otherwise, the food must be picked up whilst moving the tray towards you.
However, since the food is absolutely terrible, you may not be eating anyway!
My seat was broken - had been for the last 2 flights - so a crank was needed to manually adjust the seat. Air New Zealand has not responded to my requests for an adjustment to my ticket purchase. They need 15 days to read their email!!!!
I'm not sure what your main complaint is. They're the standard business premier seat in Air NZ. Yes it's a pain sometimes swinging the screen around when you're watching a movie and the steward is trying to serve a meal. I have got them to move bedding that was stored in the bin over my seat once. I'm not sure what flight you were on to complain about food, though as a whole it's not that bad.

A broken seat is a pain in the but. I was offered a $50 (voucher) by air new Zealand once on a trans-Tazman flight (not in J), though didn't end up using it. ($50 would have been about 0.125% of what I /my work spend on flights that year for me so it was a bit of a joke.). I don't know if there is a NZ code on this or if it's covered under consumer guaranties somewhere.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
I think Air NZ made a mistake installing the 787 business class seat and should have taken the opportunity for a new product. The main mistake was making it narrower than the 777. Having said that I am very happy sitting in it because it is comfortable, and it is very comfortable for sleeping. I tend to watch movies on my own tablet but if I want to watch the IFE I make sure I'm set up before the meal. I also enjoy the food. The lack of overhead locker space is now an issue, but that's not Air NZs fault. An FSM told me a few days ago they were working on a solution.
Caractacus likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by edmm
I think Air NZ made a mistake installing the 787 business class seat and should have taken the opportunity for a new product. The main mistake was making it narrower than the 777.
You have to remember the 787 was delayed by years.. And NZ had already committed to the Virgin seat for the 77W and 77E refit and weren't then going to change it resulting in a different premium cabin when they were finally going to achieve their goal of standardisation across the whole longhaul fleet.

The new seat will appear on the A350 when it enters service around 2022. And no, as much as I would love NZ to stay Boeing, I can't see the 777X happening particularly as the 900ULR has so much appeal for NZ.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
If the seat was really that bad it would have been gone along time ago, the design has been around with NZ since about 2004.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by samjnz
I feel on the food it's more of a taste preference between US and New Zealand cuisine. I find that on US carriers the food is usually way too spicy and saucy (and feels quite heavy) but friends from the US visiting New Zealand mention that it's too bland when eating out.
Really? I agree that much food in the US is drowned in sauces and salt, and comes from low quality ingredients, but the food in NZ is usually amazing for freshness, quality, and the sheer range of inventiveness.
Ellice and TKG like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.