Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Daily AKL to CHC widebody flights during April

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Daily AKL to CHC widebody flights during April

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Question for hose who have flown on these flights - how full have they been? They've joined 2 x A320 services together but it doesn't mean everybody will want to fly at that time, but obviously some people will book these flights just for the novelty factor.
I have flown on both the 787 and the 777. The 787 was completely full. The 777 earlier this week was full in Y and Y+; biz was about a third full. Talking to the ground crew they said the flights have been very full since it started with no impact on the A320 flights either side of the schedule.
I get Y+ as an elite member and it is really quite pleasant - perhaps more so than biz for the short sector. Even the boarding process is fairly painless with AKL scheduling about 7 or 8 buses to meet the flight.
For Air NZ this is a great way to showcase the long haul product.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Question for hose who have flown on these flights - how full have they been? They've joined 2 x A320 services together but it doesn't mean everybody will want to fly at that time, but obviously some people will book these flights just for the novelty factor.
CHCFlyer has answered more comprehensively but, on my flight, there was only one empty seat in the smaller business cabin where I was. 9 (so 15 out of 16). I didn't wander around much, but the Y+ cabin behind and the bigger J cabin ahead both looked pretty full.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by CHCflyer

For Air NZ this is a great way to showcase the long haul product.
I don't know why they wouldn't sell the Business class cabin as "Business" though.

If Jetstar can domestically within Australia on there 787 then surely Air NZ can. A single tray meal, lounge access and priority access and they could easily sell the cabin for $400 per flight along with allowing recognition and one up upgrades. In Australia, both Virgin and Qantas are easily able to fill the business class cabins of their trunk routes so I don't see why Air NZ can't either.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by henrus
I don't know why they wouldn't sell the Business class cabin as "Business" though.

If Jetstar can domestically within Australia on there 787 then surely Air NZ can. A single tray meal, lounge access and priority access and they could easily sell the cabin for $400 per flight along with allowing recognition and one up upgrades. In Australia, both Virgin and Qantas are easily able to fill the business class cabins of their trunk routes so I don't see why Air NZ can't either.
some of the CHC-AKL fares this last few weeks have approached what I would consider business class rates - almost $500 one way AND a cookie.
So NZ clearly don’t have to offer biz class service when they are getting the rates already for a basic Y product.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by henrus

Also assuming this isn't a permanent change. Adding domestic business back for a single flight a day for a limited time, sounds like a lot of effort. Also our main trunk routes are shorter on the whole than in Aussie and QF runs five cabin crew on the 738 Vs NZ running four on the A320. (In NZ think CAA says one per 50 pax rounded up)
SYD MEL - 706 km
SYD BNE - 751 km
MEL BNE - 1379 km
AKL WLG - 480 km
AKL CHC - 745 km
WLG CHC - 304 km
Old May 3, 2018, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints
My flight this month was changed to the 777-300ER (from the 787-9) so I was going to book one of the 9 777-200 flights (24 June, 26 June, 1 July, 2 July, 3 July, 4 July, 5 July, 6 July, 10 July and 13 July) in June or July as that would've been the last of the fleet for me to fly on. Looked on Tuesday and all were $59-99 one way. Go back ready to book today and all are now $129-$216. There are also flights after 13 Jul and into August that have also gone up. I saw there were over 9 seats left on most of the flights so figured that there'd be no need to fare hold, but obviously I was disappointed.

Hopefully they might come down again
Old May 4, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by peter h
My return flight now appears to be on a 787 whereas it was originally going to be a 772 - I'm not holding my breath though!
Well, I got caught out again! Tomorrow's CHC-AKL flight does actually appear to be a 787 but, because of the change of aircraft, the seat reservation made and paid for in March disappeared into the ether with no comms from the airline. I had to call Air NZ when a random seat was assigned to me when online check in opened. This time though, the business and premium economy cabins are full, so I'm stuck in the back with only the refund of the seat booking fee to console me!
Old May 5, 2018, 4:02 am

I've had this before where there has been an aircraft swap but the flight time is the same. No notification of seat being lost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.