Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Earning Airpoints on Aerolinas Argentineas Codeshare operated by NZ

Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *A

I'm new to Airpoints having been a UA flyer for years where I have earned lifetime gold. And I am not familiar with the intracacies of codeshares.

I'll be flying in business class on an Aerolineas Argentinas flight number operated by Air New Zealand. Am I able to earn Airpoints on this flight? Or should I keep with UA earning?

Thanks for your input
Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:48 pm

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/co-o...neasargentinas
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A
Thanks nzkarit. Unless I misread it, I see this link provides information about earning Airpoints while onboard AR metal with a NZ flight number. I am asking about earning Airpoints on board NZ metal with an AR flight number. I'm guessing it is yes since flying NZ metal and to earn NZ Airpoints but I'd like to make sure.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
You will not earn Airpoints flying on an AR flight number on NZ metal. The link mentions this.

This is no different to a number of the NZ non *A alliances / codeshare agreements.

​​​​​​
Old Feb 27, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by sbiddle
You will not earn Airpoints flying on an AR flight number on NZ metal. The link mentions this.

This is no different to a number of the NZ non *A alliances / codeshare agreements.

​​​​​​
I suspect your advice is incorrect. There is no other non *A agreement that doesn't offer Airpoints on a codeshare service. In the case of VA and CX codeshare flights on NZ metal, you don't get Status Points but you do get Airpoints. I suspect with AR, you will get both. AR/NZ partnership is not revenue sharing unlike with VA and CX.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 5:20 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Unless AR is a partner of UA then no UA earning.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
I suspect your advice is incorrect. There is no other non *A agreement that doesn't offer Airpoints on a codeshare service. In the case of VA and CX codeshare flights on NZ metal, you don't get Status Points but you do get Airpoints. I suspect with AR, you will get both. AR/NZ partnership is not revenue sharing unlike with VA and CX.
I based that off the following text on the Air NZ page above. When I initially skimmed through it on my phone I interpreted it as Aerolineas Argentinas operated flight or flight numbers starting with AR.

"Note: Airpoints Dollars cannot be earned on Aerolineas Argentinas operated flights, with flight numbers starting with 'AR'"
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Unless AR is a partner of UA then no UA earning.
But isn't Star Alliance earning based on operating carrier?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:41 pm

Flew AR (ticketed) on NZ metal few months ago.
Earned airpoints but no status points.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by buttercawan
Flew AR (ticketed) on NZ metal few months ago.
Earned airpoints but no status points.
Was it based on NZ or partner rate?

I suspect if you contact NZ they would correct it and add your Status Points. There is no clear indication why you wouldn't earn Status Points on AR ticketed booking. This is not a cabin neutral alliance like CX and VA.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:19 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
But isn't Star Alliance earning based on operating carrier?
Yes but only if the marketing airline is a partner.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.