UA Polaris was a big mistake

Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by samuelmehr
I'd take NZ PE over it any day. Maybe even Y if there's an open seat next to me. (I can rarely justify actually paying for J, which is another reason I'm so annoyed about this!)
I assume you mean after factoring in the relative price of the products? I would take a decent lie-flat seat over a recliner (at the same price) even if I had to carry on all my own food and serve myself.

I agree that you're looking in the wrong place flying any US carrier for their service, but I find Polaris quite nice for sleeping with the big comfy duvet and the seat is nice. But then as a window person I have something against herringbone designs..
Bub001 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by jswong
For the last decade I have been a UA 1K flyer. I would say that 98% of my flights were on Y fares but 98% of the time I flew in J
This explains why J class on US carriers has been substandard for so long. Low premium yields results in low revenues to lift J standards (and reflects reliance on US corporate contracts for international J business). Having said that, the big 3 US carriers have significantly improved their J class hard product on some aircraft, but NZ J still remains better than UA.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I was expecting the Polaris product on their new 787 from SYD-LAX. It was a very standard affair. No seat privacy (especially as I had an irritating seat neighbour). Angled seating meant I was generally peering at other peoples screens. Middle aisle front row has no overhead locker as there is a crew rest compartment above.
Food was simple - steak. Crew served food and drinks; thats it.
i hate the fact that an 11.00 departure late morning and the crew dimmed the windows for the entire flight encouraging people to sleep and presumably reduce the passenger interface.
will avoid in future but see why they charged several $000s less than more direct options from AKL.
The early morning arrival time into LAX makes for a tough day, too. Give me a midnight departure from AKL any time.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
i hate the fact that an 11.00 departure late morning and the crew dimmed the windows for the entire flight encouraging people to sleep and presumably reduce the passenger interface.
I've seen quite a few comments from people over the years about various airlines doing this as standard on day flights on the Dreamliner.

​​​​I've experienced this a few times on Air NZ as they do this as standard on day flights to Japan. Due to the fact these still let a lot of light through it's kinda strange for a while until you get used to the light. The new Dreamliners from early 2017 onwards have the new windows that tint a lot darker.

Last edited by sbiddle; Mar 3, 2018 at 2:00 pm
Old Mar 3, 2018, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
I agree, the departure times are terrible, which makes it all the more important that the flight be well-run so that one can actually sleep if one wants to!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.