FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Gotta go fares (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1895328-gotta-go-fares.html)

sbiddle Feb 23, 2018 3:09 am

Gotta go fares

Is anybody on here a frequent user of these? I've never had the need to use them but a colleague tried tonight and was surprised to hear Air NZ couldn't sell him one because there were only 3 seats available at T-60 mins.

Apparently if there are less than 5 seats on a flight they won't sell any Gotta Go fares.

Seems rather pointless having the concept if this is the case..

HighFlyingKiwi Feb 24, 2018 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 29449303)
Is anybody on here a frequent user of these? I've never had the need to use them but a colleague tried tonight and was surprised to hear Air NZ couldn't sell him one because there were only 3 seats available at T-60 mins.

Apparently if there are less than 5 seats on a flight they won't sell any Gotta Go fares.

Seems rather pointless having the concept if this is the case..

yes that's correct. They won't sell Gotta Go fares with less then 5 seats available. They hold 5 seats per flight for people travelling on Flexitime fares and such, so there is capacity for them.

It's definitely not a reliable system, not one to use at peak times!! Have used it several times with maybe a 75% success rate....

sbiddle Feb 24, 2018 1:07 pm

I don't understand the point of it then and more importantly don't understand why it's not in the T&C anywhere.

You should still be able to buy a seat at the airport providing one is available like standby used to be.

HighFlyingKiwi Feb 24, 2018 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 29454127)
I don't understand the point of it then and more importantly don't understand why it's not in the T&C anywhere.

You should still be able to buy a seat at the airport providing one is available like standby used to be.

I think it is due a complete rethink. I have generally only used it on two sector trips, and that again relies on both flights having more then 5 seats.

I remember booking a ZQN-WLG-TRG GG fare. All good when I rang T60 at ZQN. Although I noticed that it was a full flight on the Q from WLG-TRG when we took off. So when they confirm the flight, the seats on both flights must be confirmed.

I actually wonder how many people know, and use these fares. They are not exactly advertised very publicly.

NZbutterfly Feb 24, 2018 10:09 pm

I was told 3 seats need to be available to use. They're fine to use as long as you have options / back up plans.
The RGG team is different from the HVC team however I found the HVC team much better at answering questions about the RGG fares.
Generally lots of options across Taupo Rotorua Tauranga but have to watch the latter flights.
There isn't actually anything about the final seats required on their website.

sbiddle Feb 24, 2018 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly (Post 29455472)
I was told 3 seats need to be available to use. They're fine to use as long as you have options / back up plans.
The RGG team is different from the HVC team however I found the HVC team much better at answering questions about the RGG fares.
Generally lots of options across Taupo Rotorua Tauranga but have to watch the latter flights.
There isn't actually anything about the final seats required on their website.

It's 5 seats according to the call centre. Colleague who called on Friday was told there were 3 seats available so they couldn't sell him a Gotta Go fare only a full price one if he wanted to fly.

NZbutterfly Feb 24, 2018 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 29455496)
It's 5 seats according to the call centre. Colleague who called on Friday was told there were 3 seats available so they couldn't sell him a Gotta Go fare only a full price one if he wanted to fly.

The RGG team told me 10 initially (which I balked at) but elite team said 3. Still had to go through to the RGG team again though. I've only come across the restriction once. Was still allowed to book after the number was clarified. I don't actually remember how many seats were left on that flight. Haven't had the need to use again since then but I have used several times prior without issues. Maybe it's HUACA. It's difficult given there's nothing in writing but I wouldn't hesitate to use again in future. Generally if I've got time for the back up plan or prices have ballooned.

ukflyer1 Mar 1, 2018 2:42 am

Originally Posted by HighFlyingKiwi (Post 29454086)
They hold 5 seats per flight for people travelling on Flexitime fares and such, so there is capacity for them.

How does this work - travel on flexitime plenty and often no option to change to the flight I want. Means they have (cash) sold all the seats, or more than 5 flexitime have already moved to that flight, or something a lot more complex we don't really know?

HighFlyingKiwi Mar 1, 2018 2:05 pm

Flexitime fares and Gotta Go fares are completely different. If you have a flexitime fare and there is a seat available, you can change. With a gotta go fare they will not sell you a seat if there is 5 or less seats available on the flight.

ukflyer1 Mar 5, 2018 4:31 am

Ahh yes, ok understood thanks.