Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

New Asian route: AKL-TPE from November 2018, x5 weekly

Old Feb 21, 18, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM

Along with the stellar profit results released, Air NZ is also launching a new route from November 2018, between Auckland (AKL) and Taipei (TPE)

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/pres...-off-to-taipei
Quote:The airline will fly up to five times a week between Auckland and Taipei's Taoyuan International Airport from November, with NZ77 departing Auckland at 10:35am and arriving in Taipei at 4:50pm local time. NZ78 will depart Taipei at 6:30pm local time, arriving in Auckland at 10:20am+1.

With a flight time of just over 11 hours, the service from Auckland to the central Asian destination will be operated by Air New Zealand's Boeing 787-9
codyc1515 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 18, 2:17 pm

Programs: NZ*GE
No prices loaded yet
Wonder if there will be a tie up with EVA at some point for any onward flights?
Old Feb 21, 18, 2:32 pm

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Originally Posted by Kamadan View Post
Along with the stellar profit results released, Air NZ is also launching a new route from November 2018, between Auckland (AKL) and Taipei (TPE)

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/pres...-off-to-taipei
Quote:The airline will fly up to five times a week between Auckland and Taipei's Taoyuan International Airport from November, with NZ77 departing Auckland at 10:35am and arriving in Taipei at 4:50pm local time. NZ78 will depart Taipei at 6:30pm local time, arriving in Auckland at 10:20am+1.

With a flight time of just over 11 hours, the service from Auckland to the central Asian destination will be operated by Air New Zealand's Boeing 787-9
"Central Asian"? Has Taipei moved to Kazakhstan ?
Bub001 and stewardo like this.
Old Feb 21, 18, 2:40 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (17), EK S, NZ G, IHG Spire RA, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by kiwiandrew View Post
You wrongly capitalised the “c”.
Old Feb 21, 18, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Eltham View Post

You wrongly capitalised the “c”.
Upper or lower case, I still struggle to see Taipei as anything other than east asia/East Asia rather than central asia/Central Asia .

Regardless, it's nice to see them returning to a former destination. I hope they make it work.
Blackcloud and stewardo like this.

Last edited by kiwiandrew; Feb 21, 18 at 2:49 pm
Old Feb 21, 18, 3:11 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, AS, AC, QF
Originally Posted by kiwiandrew View Post
pédante géographique!
Old Feb 21, 18, 7:19 pm

This is fantastic news. Lots of Taiwanese people in Auckland who currently have to go Taipei via Brisbane on China Airlines, or via Hong Kong/other Chinese cities on the various Chinese Airlines that fly from Auckland. Makes good sense for Air NZ to get back into the central Asia market given all those other Chinese carriers going to China.

Air NZ will need to price these Auckland-Taipei flights competitively because going via Brisbane/Hong Kong/Shanghai/Guangzhou etc. can often be ridiculously cheap.
Old Feb 21, 18, 8:47 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by curioustill View Post
This is fantastic news. Lots of Taiwanese people in Auckland who currently have to go Taipei via Brisbane on China Airlines, or via Hong Kong/other Chinese cities on the various Chinese Airlines that fly from Auckland. Makes good sense for Air NZ to get back into the central Asia market given all those other Chinese carriers going to China.

Air NZ will need to price these Auckland-Taipei flights competitively because going via Brisbane/Hong Kong/Shanghai/Guangzhou etc. can often be ridiculously cheap.
Taiwanese must apply for a permit to enter Mainland China so I don't think many are taking advantage of the low fares from Chinese airlines. This could be a rare opportunity to capture a decent market without direct competition. NZ have now nearly recovered all the Asian destinations they had at the beginning of the century.
Old Feb 21, 18, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Xiaotung View Post
Taiwanese must apply for a permit to enter Mainland China so I don't think many are taking advantage of the low fares from Chinese airlines. This could be a rare opportunity to capture a decent market without direct competition. NZ have now nearly recovered all the Asian destinations they had at the beginning of the century.
CMIMW but my understanding is that you do not need a permit to enter China is transferring through (i.e. not leaving the airport)
Old Feb 21, 18, 9:40 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
CMIMW but my understanding is that you do not need a permit to enter China is transferring through (i.e. not leaving the airport)
There is no real airside transfer among Chinese airports with a few exceptions.

Same goes for Chinese citizens transferring in TPE.
Old Feb 21, 18, 9:42 pm

Programs: NZ*E
I am not sure there it says about 5 times weekly, I have got my summary from NZ and it says three times.. which is more reasonable, and I think that timing is not the greatest but as some suggested it maybe bridged on to EVA flights. Good that NZ is tackling TPE, should try ICN next IMHO
Old Feb 21, 18, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by mmonster View Post
I am not sure there it says about 5 times weekly, I have got my summary from NZ and it says three times.. which is more reasonable, and I think that timing is not the greatest but as some suggested it maybe bridged on to EVA flights. Good that NZ is tackling TPE, should try ICN next IMHO
According to another site ( routes online) it will operate 5 X weekly from 25 December until 23 February, there will be a brief period either side of those dates 4 X weekly, and the rest of the year it will operate 3 X weekly
Old Feb 21, 18, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Xiaotung View Post
I agree... not that many Taiwanese are flying to China to connect to AKL. This is one of those rare destination with decent level of existing 1-stop traffic where NZ can enter without any direct competition. CI doesn’t have enough A359 to start nonstop flights and BR is still waiting for its 789... NZ has a window of opportunity to establish itself as the preferred carrier on this route.

NZ is starting year round 3x weekly and seasonal 4x and 5x. Seems very reasonable. I wouldn’t rule out that BR will code share and NZ expand to 5x or 6x weekly year round after a year or two.
Old Feb 21, 18, 11:40 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Elite, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red

How price sensitive is this market? Whenever I've wanted to go to Asia, NZ has not usually had a competitive price. And a premium when its a direct flight.

I reckon there are a lot more Filipino's in Auckland - and was hoping AirNZ would deliver on this market - but too late now with PAL going direct.
Old Feb 22, 18, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
To clarify, it is "up to 5x weekly"

Why Air New Zealand is flying from Auckland to Taipei in Taiwan - NZ Herald

The airline will fly up to five times a week from November using a Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner. Direct flight time is about 11 hours and standard return economy fares on Air New Zealand's website today for that month are around $1530, although airlines will usually launch new routes with promotional deals.

Search this Thread