Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this a valid use of FlexiTime ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2018, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Is this a valid use of FlexiTime ?

I have a ticket for nonstop SFO-AKL arriving in AKL at 5:35am. I want to continue on AKL-WLG right away, and the departures are basically hourly -- 7am, 8am, 9am, 10am. For safe margin I'm looking at the 9am AKL-WLG departure; it's also the cheapest.

I am thinking of buying AKL-WLG as FlexiTime fare to handle two scenarios:
1) SFO-AKL is delayed and I would miss my scheduled 9am AKL-WLG flight. With a lower fare class it seems I'd be out-of-luck.
2) SFO-AKL is on-time or early and I want to use FlexiTime to change to an earlier flight to minimize layover in AKL

Is this a valid way of using FlexiTime, or am I missing something?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
Perfectly valid.

I usually buy a cheaper Flexitime ticket to change to a preferred time on the day. But this can be risky during busy/holiday periods as flights can be full.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:15 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Why not just buy everything on a single ticket? Is that more expensive?

On a single ticket you'll be put on the 0700 to WLG for a 0530 arrival which can be a rush at times but perfectly doable which is why NZ sell it as the main option.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:09 am

Sounds like the OP already booked SFO -AKL. Are you able to add a domestic leg to a current booking?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Why not just buy everything on a single ticket? Is that more expensive?

On a single ticket you'll be put on the 0700 to WLG for a 0530 arrival which can be a rush at times but perfectly doable which is why NZ sell it as the main option.
I bought SFO-AKL months ago, before I had started planning the trip. It was a special fare deal, so I grabbed it. I don't think they will make changes. I bought the ticket from United, which is probably one of a few reasons.

I think whether or not it is sensible for me to buy a FlexiTime ticket for my AKL-WLG boils down to two questions:
1) Can you change your flight/departure time after check-in? (Presumably I would have checked into the 9am AKL-WLG before I left SFO)
2) Can you change to a later flight after you missed your scheduled departure? (This is in case I miss AKL-WLG because SFO-AKL is running late; unless there is strong wifi in-air on the SFO-AKL flight, I won't be able to change AKL-WLG until I reach AKL, which might be too late).
Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
No need to check in to your AKL-WLG flight until landing at AKL, so it is at that point you can adjust the flight earlier or later. Only issue might be if your arrival into AKL was significantly delayed and you arrived after the domestic departure.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:24 pm

Just for clarification here you can't change a Flexitime fare after the scheduled departure time. You can only change it beforehand.

Depending on when you're flying you may or may not have WiFi. It's currently only on 3 of the 7 77W aircraft in the fleet (both 77E and 77W fly the SFO route) and is currently only in a trial phase for invited customers. The trial is also temporarily suspended at present due to issues.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:51 pm

Actually you can change the flight after scheduled departure. I have done this after arriving on a long-haul.

From: https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/dome...ons-flexi-time

No shows

Permitted for changes on the day of travel, however unused tickets will remain non-refundable
49er likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johnnyfive
Actually you can change the flight after scheduled departure. I have done this after arriving on a long-haul.

From: https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/dome...ons-flexi-time

No shows

Permitted for changes on the day of travel, however unused tickets will remain non-refundable

Thanks, and good to know you've done this.

Did you have to make the change online or were you able to do it at an Air NZ counter at the airport?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:17 pm

I've done both.
49er likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:29 pm

Sorry I meant to say it can't be changed from the app or online after the scheduled flight. It can then only be changed at the airport if you're a no show.
49er likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm going to go forward with the AKL-WLG booking as FlexiTime.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Originally Posted by 49er
Thanks, and good to know you've done this.
Did you have to make the change online or were you able to do it at an Air NZ counter at the airport?
Change it online. Lines in the morning at domestic desks can be very long with people doing just as you have mentioned. There is only effectively two manned desks at domestic as Air NZ uses machines for the full check in process.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WLGNZ
Change it online. Lines in the morning at domestic desks can be very long with people doing just as you have mentioned. There is only effectively two manned desks at domestic as Air NZ uses machines for the full check in process.
Ok.

One item I'm not clear on -- To change the flight time, is it required that I NOT be checked in to my originally scheduled flight?

The events would go like this:

1) Check-in for AKL-WLG opens but I don't check in yet
2) I board SFO-AKL
3) I arrive in AKL from SFO
4a) If I arrive too late to make my scheduled AKL-WLG, I'm considered a 'no show' for my booked flight, but I change to a later flight on the same day using Air NZ's website.
4b) If I arrive on-time/early to my scheduled AKL-WLG, I'm allowed to make changes to an earlier flight if it's available.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 2:23 am

I believe you are able to change your flight once checked in, at least I have heard as much from this forum. How you do this may differ and you may be unable to do it online. I am sure the checkin staff will be able to assist in any case once at the airport in AKL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.