Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trial wifi still active?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Right now Air NZ probably have one of the best performing WiFi products out there.
Do you know how upgradeable the stuff on the roof is? As doubt when next gen satellite system is out they won't upgrade and fall behind the airlines they do.

Upgrades are a drug. Says the person who is looking to fix some potential bottle necks (if two or more people hit the NAS at same time) in home network with 10Gbps links and ready for when 10Gbps UFB comes.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 12:05 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Do you know how upgradeable the stuff on the roof is? As doubt when next gen satellite system is out they won't upgrade and fall behind the airlines they do.

Upgrades are a drug. Says the person who is looking to fix some potential bottle necks (if two or more people hit the NAS at same time) in home network with 10Gbps links and ready for when 10Gbps UFB comes.
Upgrading antennas is pretty easy. There is however nothing to upgrade to - they're using Ka band now which will be current for a long time - Viasat aren't even launching their remaining Ka band satellites for global coverage until 2021 which is part of the reason why Qantas can't launch long-haul WiFi until 2022ish because they've already partnered with Viasat for their Ka band nbn solution for domestic and have decided to stay with Viasat rather than opting for a Inmarsat Ka band solution (like NZ) for their long haul fleet.

Any future Ka bandwidth upgrades could simply be as easy as replacing the modem.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 12:24 am

Upgrading antennas is pretty easy. There is however nothing to upgrade to - they're using Ka band now which will be current for a long time - Viasat aren't even launching their remaining Ka band satellites for global coverage until 2021 which is part of the reason why Qantas can't launch long-haul WiFi until 2022ish because they've already partnered with Viasat for their Ka band nbn solution for domestic and have decided to stay with Viasat rather than opting for a Inmarsat Ka band solution (like NZ) for their long haul fleet.

Any future Ka bandwidth upgrades could simply be as easy as replacing the modem.
Sweet that should be good for a while then.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:34 am

Programs: DL Silver, NZ, VS, HH, IHG Gold, Marriott, Hertz 5*
I paid $25NZD for WiFi on NZ 2 10 July 2018.

I had the choice of signing in with AirPoints and perhaps paying with APD. I didn't try that option.

It worked well for text and still images. Spotify was too choppy to be useable. I didn't know ahead of time there would be WiFi available so I didn't have any tools pre-loaded on my Phone or iPad.

I can see it being useful for business communication. With the improved IFE, I doubt I will pay for internet again.

777-300 ZK-OKS.

Last edited by AndrewAndDebbie; Jul 12, 2018 at 3:45 am
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:08 am

Pricing is now $25 for long haul, $15 for short haul, $9 per hour or 10 mins free per flight.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Pricing is now $25 for long haul, $15 for short haul, $9 per hour or 10 mins free per flight.
Much better pricing points, to think they tired $40.

How many 77E’s have now been fitted?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:48 am

6 777s have it fitted now. I need to follow up today and find the regos if the latest 2.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL Silver, NZ, VS, HH, IHG Gold, Marriott, Hertz 5*
6 777s have it fitted now. I need to follow up today and find the regos if the latest 2.
Did they all have the antenna bump fitted when they went in for the interior refit?

My 27 June LHR --> LAX leg didn't have WiFi but I wasn't able to see the aircraft at LHR. The gates that NZ usually use hide the plane.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by AndrewAndDebbie
Did they all have the antenna bump fitted when they went in for the interior refit?
No the 77E didn't have the bump fitted durring the cabin refit, same with the 77W which we're cabin refitted more recently. Also the 789s are being delivered without the bump (although there isn't any word when the 789s have been confirmed to get wifi).

It will be interesting to see if the A321NEO getting delivered in a few months time come with factory fitted WIFI.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Also the 789s are being delivered without the bump (although there isn't any word when the 789s have been confirmed to get wifi).
The 789's start getting fitted in October.

It will be interesting to see if the A321NEO getting delivered in a few months time come with factory fitted WIFI.
Yes, NEO's will come pre-installed.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:36 pm

Current regos fitted are OKO, OKP, OKQ, OKS, OKB and OKC
AndrewAndDebbie likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:39 pm

I believe GX may be a factory fit option now at Everett (2x 789's due this year are both Everett rather than South Carolina) so it'll be interesting to see if NZN and NZO come factory fitted.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:40 pm

The A321neo was supposed to be the initial test frame when it was originally due in July 2017. 77W ended up being the test aircraft once this was delayed.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:55 am

Has anyone been able to workout what country the wifi has been tunnelled via? e.g. is its external connection New Zealand based? so New Zealand GEO Retristicted content is watchable?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 2:15 am

Has anyone been able to workout what country the wifi has been tunnelled via? e.g. is its external connection New Zealand based? so New Zealand GEO Retristicted content is watchable?
At present traffic on F3 (Asia Pacific Satellite) is downlinked via Australia with a local IP there. I'm not sure where traffic downlinked via F1 and F2 and F4 (covering North America and Europe) are downlinked to and what public IP they show. In the early testing all traffic was egressing via Europe which meant terrible latency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.