Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trial wifi still active?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2018, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Should mention prices went up mid week. It's now back to $40 longhaul, $30 short haul or $9 per hour. The 10 mins free has been removed (wonder how many people abused this to get free WiFi for longer than @0 mins?).
​​​​​​
For the quality of the product the price is fair. No it's not cheap, but Air NZ aren't big on losing money like some other airlines may be.

The whole in-flight WiFi space is undergoing some big changes at present as providers, installers and airlines try and work out how to stop losing money!
They may be losing a bit at the cheaper price but to be honest it is probably not good business to worry about $10 or $20 when there are so many annoyances and frustrations for customers with schedule changes, aircraft changes, flight cancellations, changing levels of service all reducing loyalty to NZ at present. They have just I believe reported a significant profit and in such circumstances they would in my opinion be best looking at creating and maintaining longstanding loyalty as they may struggle to regain some customers who decide that price and service are far more important than status which has variable diminishing value. Things like the WiFi price increases, removal of elite gift etc etc give a message which when looking at the bigger picture would seem to be ill advised.

If they are not able to legally obtain significant financial compensation for the Trent issues from RR and/or Boeing I would take significant convincing to believe that those involved in the purchase and acquisition of those aircraft and engines should still have employment and/or that the NZ legal team is competent. The fact that they have issues should be handled aggressively commercially and legally and should not translate into making customers unhappy and losing loyalty as this would show incompetence at a governance and management level. A bigger picture view would give customers some extra rewards in times of inconsistent and frustrating service - free WiFi. Better elite gifts etc would make sense.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I personally think the $40 price point is too high for mass uptake - that's why I describe it as a fair price and not a good price.

I agree with all of your comments, but along with the large profit you do have to factor in that the coming year is going to be an incredibly tough one for NZ.

As for a better Elite gift - just a gift would be nice.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
Flew Air NZ from LAX to LHR (my first flight with them outside of domestic travel within New Zealand) and the plane had wifi. For the first hour, I was able to use it for free and it was fairly quick. After the first hour, the paywall started working and I couldn't continue using it without payment. Honestly, NZD $40 is too high ($26 USD at current rates), given that I can usually get wifi for less than $20 on American's TATL or TPAC flights. But if you (or your company) are paying $7k for a ticket in J and you have work to do, $26 isn't a deal-breaker.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:50 pm

It's interesting you got your first hour for free.

Air NZ did have a 10 min free period but have ditched that as well - I do wonder how many people they had randomising their MAC addresses to exploit this. The answer is probably not many - but it's people who would have the knowledge and skill to do this that are the sort of people who want to use the internet and could probably afford to pay for it, but just like the challenge of getting something for free.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
It's interesting you got your first hour for free.

Air NZ did have a 10 min free period but have ditched that as well - I do wonder how many people they had randomising their MAC addresses to exploit this. The answer is probably not many - but it's people who would have the knowledge and skill to do this that are the sort of people who want to use the internet and could probably afford to pay for it, but just like the challenge of getting something for free.
think with windows 10 & most phones if you forget network, it will connect with a new MAC address.

I should really test it at some point rather than just reading the privacy features they are introducing
Old Oct 12, 2019, 11:37 pm

Do any of the 789's have wifi
Old Oct 12, 2019, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by brend
Yes NZF has Wi-Fi

https://traveltalk.nz/news-opinion/h...inflight-wifi/
sbiddle likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Originally Posted by brend
yes, we had wifi on NZ284 (787-9) AKL to SIN last month.

Last edited by ottiehund; Oct 13, 2019 at 5:02 pm
Old Oct 13, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I was told by Air NZ on my flight today that WiFi has been down on all planes for the past 2 weeks. Unsure how accurate that was but we didn't have WiFi on our trans tasman flight.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Wifi active on NZ28 13/10/2019. Not on app for booking as per usual but was working 👍
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: NZ *G
No wifi yesterday on NZ1.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by sopwith7
No wifi yesterday on NZ1.
OKR doesn't have Wi-Fi
Old Oct 14, 2019, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
I was told by Air NZ on my flight today that WiFi has been down on all planes for the past 2 weeks. Unsure how accurate that was but we didn't have WiFi on our trans tasman flight.
That is simply fake news.

There were issues last week for around 36 hours due to a failed Inmarsat software update that caused a huge outage across GX fitted aircraft (not just NZ) This required a roll back and meant some aircraft had no Wi-Fi during this period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.