Wiki Posts
Search

Missed connection LAX

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2018, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Missed connection LAX

Any advice appreciated!

Relative is flying today MEX - LAX (AS) then LAX - AKL (NZ) both on separate tickets (dodgy, I know). Connection time was originally 5 hours. AS flight canceled after several delays. Passenger rebooked to AA flight now with 1 hour 40 layover in LAX to clear customs change terminals and re-check in (no chance!).

Fully understand that neither airline are responsible for the missed connection, however NZ5 will depart slightly later than NZ1 and may be a possibility. NZ call centre not being very compassionate to change without fee (no surprises) even though passenger is Elite and there is plenty of room left on NZ5. Fare difference, change fees etc not looking so appealing and travel insurance only kicks in once the delay is over 12 hours.

What is the likelihood of making the connection to later flight in 2 hours 20 and ground staff at LAX changing the passenger to the later flight if they make it in time for NZ5 but miss original NZ1? Furthermore if both flights are missed will NZ still change the ticket to next day (with or without fee) or is it completely forfeited?

Cheers!
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
All you can do is ask nicely as they are certainly under no obligation to do this. I've heard of them both allowing and disallowing this in the past.

I'm paranoid about missed international connections now and will never book same day unless it's on the same ticket. I did make an exception to my rule a few weeks ago, simply because it was impossible to get a single ticket from LAS after CES.
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by WellingtonFlyer
Any advice appreciated!

Relative is flying today MEX - LAX (AS) then LAX - AKL (NZ) both on separate tickets (dodgy, I know). Connection time was originally 5 hours. AS flight canceled after several delays. Passenger rebooked to AA flight now with 1 hour 40 layover in LAX to clear customs change terminals and re-check in (no chance!).

Fully understand that neither airline are responsible for the missed connection, however NZ5 will depart slightly later than NZ1 and may be a possibility. NZ call centre not being very compassionate to change without fee (no surprises) even though passenger is Elite and there is plenty of room left on NZ5. Fare difference, change fees etc not looking so appealing and travel insurance only kicks in once the delay is over 12 hours.

What is the likelihood of making the connection to later flight in 2 hours 20 and ground staff at LAX changing the passenger to the later flight if they make it in time for NZ5 but miss original NZ1? Furthermore if both flights are missed will NZ still change the ticket to next day (with or without fee) or is it completely forfeited?

Cheers!
Lots of variables at play but I've gone from plane to curbside through LAX in 15 minutes. Don't wait for the bus to go to the other terminal - walk, American is terminal 4, right next door to Bradley International.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: ANZ GE; Emirates
For what it's worth my past two trips through LAX I've made it gate to gate in under an hour (Air NZ and United) and so 1hr 40 is stressful, but could still happen esp if pax is GE and able to use the priority queues. All the best!
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Also if you have online checked in via the NZ APP it will greatly reduce the time require to drop bags at the NZ counter (could spare 30minutes).
Bub001 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:45 pm

From Air NZ terms:

If you don't show up in time for your flight, with a Global Saver fare the one-way fare will be cancelled with no refund. With a Global Flexi fare however, you can change the booking following a no show, subject to a NZD $300 change fee.
Knowing Air NZ previously, I would imagine that they are fairly strict on this. Not sure if being Elite changes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Certainly it would appear they are under no obligation to, check the travel insurance policies of it helps.

LAX is a horrible experience to transit I wouldn’t advise unless you travel J to begin with.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM-2MM,VAus VIP,, MR/Bonvoy LT Platinum, AA Ex Plat,LH FT, HH,hyatt, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by WellingtonFlyer
Any advice appreciated!

Cheers!

for an Elite they certainly should make an effort.
best of luck.

i have taken that risk several times for my family and mother in law; with Delta Detroit to LAX and VA to Sydney on separate tickets. 2 years ago we did miss the connection and VA had rebooked all 4 of us on their last flight; honoring Delta award tickets in business. Impressive but a risk.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP
No further comments on NZ's policy here, but that connection should be a breeze, as AA customs rarely takes me more than 10-15 minutes without Global Entry - just as a normie. You don't mention anything about luggage, though, which would definitely make this a sweaty situation. Carry-on only and I'd feel like your chances are better than 90% barring some catastrophic AA shenanigans.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:49 am

I agree...they’d have to be unlucky not to make the connection. They will probably feel more under pressure than they will be. LAX is not an awful experience under normal circumstances...it’s just a popular sport to beat up on it. Tuesday evening I was curbside to lounge in under 20 minutes (J class, to be fair)
Old Jan 27, 2018, 8:41 am

interesting. Things to keep in mind for the next time i fly.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First, do not use the word "connection." The friend is on separate tickets and so not connecting. Use the term and it shuts down the average agent.

Second, the current departure is still doable, especially if no luggage to check.

Third, if too late for the current ticket, ask in person. Keep the request simple and short and be polite.

Finally, very unlikely that travel insurance would cover a no show on separate tickets. But, there are policies which do, so worth checking if it comes to that.

For future, if you really do insist on booking separate tickets, do hedge the risk with an insurance policy which does cover transfers in addition to connections.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Security at the Tom Bradley International Terminal can be busy, there is a separate security area on the ground flood meant for passengers transiting that are arriving from the TBIT. This security screening area is much less crowded and is open to anybody. Hopefully this can help shave of some time.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by whimike
Security at the Tom Bradley International Terminal can be busy, there is a separate security area on the ground flood meant for passengers transiting that are arriving from the TBIT. This security screening area is much less crowded and is open to anybody. Hopefully this can help shave of some time.
Are you sure you're not confused with somewhere else? All transit/connecting pax (ie NZ1/NZ2) exit from CBP on the ground floor and go though the exact same TSA screening on L1 as everybody else. There are normally transit queues when busy for those who have a transit card from their airline.

When I flew through last week it's good to see new screening equipment now and they seem a lot more efficient.

If you're simply "connecting" from another flight you'll have no priority over anybody else.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Are you sure you're not confused with somewhere else? All transit/connecting pax (ie NZ1/NZ2) exit from CBP on the ground floor and go though the exact same TSA screening on L1 as everybody else. There are normally transit queues when busy for those who have a transit card from their airline.

When I flew through last week it's good to see new screening equipment now and they seem a lot more efficient.

If you're simply "connecting" from another flight you'll have no priority over anybody else.
After the connecting bag drop. turn right and there is a screening area on the same level, right there. It is often far less busy than upstairs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.