Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

flexitime vis flexiplus on domestic routes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum

Quick question for the NZ regulars:

Does he flexiplus fare include all the benefits of the flexitime fare, i.e. most importantly to change to any earlier or later flight without paying a change fee or fare difference?

I've booke d a flexiplus fare on a morning flight that I most definitely will not be able to take, but my thinking is that:

1) I can go online at midnight and change to any of the later flights without paying a fee or
2) change to a flight the following day if absolutely necessary (and presumably also do the free same-day change?) or
3) cancel the ticket for a full refund if absolutely necessary

Are these assumptions correct?

If so, does a same-day change require positive space or it is sufficient if NZ is willing to sell two seats on the desired flight?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
You can change any time after midnight to any flight with free seats. You cannot wait-list or standby on a flexi fare for a full flight unless you're at the airport to do this.

If you change a Flexiplus to a later day (which obviously does incur paying the fare difference if there are no flights with a fare the same or cheaper price than the one you paid) it is still flexi so you can then do a same day change for free any time after midnight on that new date. The trick to avoid paying the fare difference is to pick a fare that is the same price and then change it same day to the flight you want - obviously all subject to the usual blah blah about doing this and being aware of the risks of trying to game the system.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
I'd book the FlexiPlus. For the extra $20 per sector it's worth it. FlexiTime still doesn't let you change the date of travel on the day of departure. I booked a FlexiTime for work today thinking I'd be fine - first time I'd not booked a FlexiPlus in many months (was about $350 one way) and work went to custard so have to overnight instead of fly out tonight so that $350 goes down the train and have to book another flight for another $350. An extra $20 would have saved a lot.

Although sbiddle - I always call Air NZ and they are more than happy to waitlist you if on a FlexiTime/Plus fare if the flight you want to change to on the day is full (did it today) - but at the airport they always say it's not possible.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
I'd book the FlexiPlus. For the extra $20 per sector it's worth it. FlexiTime still doesn't let you change the date of travel on the day of departure. I booked a FlexiTime for work today thinking I'd be fine - first time I'd not booked a FlexiPlus in many months (was about $350 one way) and work went to custard so have to overnight instead of fly out tonight so that $350 goes down the train and have to book another flight for another $350. An extra $20 would have saved a lot.
Why would you just not change the booking? For a fare that expensive you'd just about only end up paying the $50 change fee for the next day as fares would be pretty similar which is a lot cheaper than a new $350 airfare.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Why would you just not change the booking? For a fare that expensive you'd just about only end up paying the $50 change fee for the next day as fares would be pretty similar which is a lot cheaper than a new $350 airfare.
Can't date change a FlexiTime on the day of departure
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Can you change it to a later date in making the change to a FlexiPlus and then change it back to today once it is a FlexiPlus?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:41 am

Ahh there was a bug allowing this to happen at one point. I guess it's been fixed.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Trumpkin
Can you change it to a later date in making the change to a FlexiPlus and then change it back to today once it is a FlexiPlus?
The only change you can make online is to product types is to change the fare basis (ie convert a seat to a seat+bag). You can't change between product types.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Ahh there was a bug allowing this to happen at one point. I guess it's been fixed.
Yeah I'm kicking myself as it's about the only time in a year I haven't booked a FlexiPlus and murphy's law of course the one time I actually need to use it I've been a cheapskate and booked a FlexiTime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.