Wiki Posts
Search

DOT 399.87 relating to return tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Unhappy DOT 399.87 relating to return tickets

Hi there!

First time poster, I've scoured the forums and there is a lot of really great information out there, I'm just still a little confused with this one aspect of Law 399.87

My issue is regarding the use of the word 'itinerary' in the law as it is stated below:
For passengers whose ultimate ticketed origin or destination is a U.S. point, U.S. and foreign carriers must apply the baggage allowances and fees that apply at the beginning of a passenger’s itinerary throughout his or her entire itinerary. In the case of codeshare flights that form part of an itinerary whose ultimate ticketed origin or destination is a U.S. point, U.S. and foreign carriers must apply the baggage allowances and fees of the marketing carrier throughout the itinerary to the extent that they differ from those of any operating carrier.
As found on page 59 of (I can't post the url because of my young account, pm me if you need the link, otherwise googling DOT 399.87 will bring it up)

In relation to my specific situation, I am travelling from MEL to AKL to HOU, then flying EWR to LAX to AKL to MEL. I purchased this all in one transaction as a return ticket with Air New Zealand, and I have an 'itinerary' with every flight listed on it. The EWR to LAX is run as a code share with United Airlines but every other flight is an Air New Zealand flight.

I am adding an extra piece of luggage (I am only entitled to one on my Air NZ flight but I need to take 2). When I called AirNZ to arrange this, they informed me that when I was flying out of EWR I would need to pay the UA baggage fee, and then informed me the law 399.87 applies to where the luggage is checked to (i.e. the first part of journey is treated separately to the second part).

But from my understanding the law states 'itinerary' and not 'checked point.' So it seems like my baggage fees should be set by the first marketing carrier, which in this case is AirNZ for my MEL to AKL leg.

Am I missing something? Just for reference, AirNZ charge AUD$26 for an extra bag, and UA charge USD$150.

Thanks!
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:36 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, David Farrellor
I am moving your query to the very friendly Air New Zealand Forum. Please follow there. (Airline Programs>Air New Zealand)
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by David Farrell
But from my understanding the law states 'itinerary' and not 'checked point.' So it seems like my baggage fees should be set by the first marketing carrier, which in this case is AirNZ for my MEL to AKL leg.

Am I missing something? Just for reference, AirNZ charge AUD$26 for an extra bag, and UA charge USD$150.

Thanks!
NZ are 50/50 correct on this. The law refers to the ticketed allowance on the ticket. i.e. if the ticketed allowance is one piece, then the allowance for all flights is one piece.

However, pre-paid luggage is an NZ only product. Other airlines do not recognise it. Therefore, under US DOT, the standard airport excess luggage rates apply. This rate is based on the rate of the first marketing carrier on your ticket. This is where you were advised incorrectly. The excess luggage rate is not the UA rate, it is the NZ airport rate.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Would this be different if the person is *G, with their frequent flier number on the booking, so they had a two bag allowance? Would the two bags then apply to the subsequent flights?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Again, not to over complicate this, but the DOT rule applies to the basic ticket allowance. Waivers for status, credit card holders and the like are not part of the DOT rule.

The sole question here is the allowance for the first segment. That is one bag and OP will have a one bag allowance for all subsequent segments. Whether he is entitled to any further waiver (not allowance) is dependent on a segment-by-segment analysis of the operating carrier's baggage policy.

Also, note that OP says that he purchased all of this in one transaction and has an itinerary. However, that does not answer the question of whether this is a single ticket.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Often1
Also, note that OP says that he purchased all of this in one transaction and has an itinerary. However, that does not answer the question of whether this is a single ticket.
NZ's website will typically ticket you in two 'oneway bookings' for example MEL-EWR, and EWR-MEL. They will be under the same ticket number, but will technically be two trips for the way there system qoutes.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Hi there so I actually booked through flight365 and I confirmed with them today that all of my flights are actually on one ticket.

After speaking to more agents today, LyingFlat was correct, in that my ticket entitles me to one bag, and if I want to add on to that, that is a purchase that I make with the airline outside of my ticket. So I can purchase the first leg of my journey through airNZ as they operate all of the flights. However on the return journey, my first flight is with UA and I am unable to book extra luggage on that flight, so I have to pay the check-in desk price (USD$150), which is set by AirNZ as they are the marketing carrier for the first leg of my journey.

However, my second bag is actually an instrument and its total linear dimensions are 67 inches. Now I can go to the UA website and pull up my luggage allowances for my flight, and they stipulate:
In compliance with U.S. Department of Transportation regulations, checked baggage policies for your entire itinerary are determined by Air New Zealand. Visit united.com/baggage for more information.
So this should mean that my luggage would fall into the AirNZ policies regarding instruments correct?

This instrument would be no extra charge under NZ policy, but $200 extra under UA policy.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:10 pm

The Air NZ terms and conditions for Prepaid Extra Bags is crystal clear on this (it's right at the top of the terms).

Extra Bags are only available on request on Air New Zealand ticketed and operated flights and Virgin Australia trans-Tasman flights code sharing with Air New Zealand

(from https://www.airnewzealand.com/extra-...and-conditions)
Now, assuming that this would not made clear to you when purchasing the additional bags I would definitely be raising a complaint with Air NZ. Otherwise, if you are still within 24-hours you should be able to cancel the ticket and rebook elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.