Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

APD *A Award Tickets --- U.S. <> Europe --- excellent availability in April

APD *A Award Tickets --- U.S. <> Europe --- excellent availability in April

Old Jan 24, 18, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite / *A Gold
APD *A Award Tickets --- U.S. <> Europe

G'day. I have never posted before, but wanted to share a really good *A award ticket experience with APD this week. I'm finding myself in need of one-ways between the U.S. and Europe (and vice versa) in March/April and thought I'd give the *A partner awards a go - despite hearing often there is little to no availability in Business/First. Checking a few days either side of my preferred travel date, there were available Economy seats on virtually every routing we tried (Lufthansa, Swiss, United), Business on several - but not all - and no First; which did not surprise me. I was hoping to score a Business award on the SG A380 5th route JFK > FRA [> SIN], but alas that did not substantiate. I decided I'll try out the new Swiss Business Class; I've heard good things about their single privacy seats behind the First cabin (the "thrones" I think they're called). Given I was able to book my preferred date/time and the actual ticket cost on that routing was ~ USD$6,000, I consider the 1,790 APD + $30.00 taxes extremely good value.

Keen to hear everyone's experience with similar bookings or attempts - did I just get lucky?

Last edited by adventure_seeker; Jan 24, 18 at 2:26 am Reason: title too long
Old Jan 24, 18, 4:39 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum, VA Gold
Cripes - when you convert USD to NZD you're getting an absolute bargain! Thanks for posting, it's always good to hear success stories given we hear so few. From what I've seen Swiss certainly look like they have a decent J product. I'm assuming one way price posted? And east coast US or west?
Old Jan 24, 18, 9:17 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: NZ*E, QF Gold, Hilton Gold
With regard to the SQ option, as far as I understand it they do not release J or F partner awards on the A380 and 77W - as such this isn’t an issue unique to NZ.

I have always found that the price of *A flights using Airpoints is good, if you can find them! Sounds like there is good availability if you’re looking on the right routes.
Old Jan 24, 18, 2:34 pm

Programs: Airpoints Elite
Very nice - excuse my ignorance but how did you book it? Never tried this before.
Old Jan 24, 18, 6:22 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by West45 View Post
Very nice - excuse my ignorance but how did you book it? Never tried this before.
Simply call NZ. Pricing and details are all on their website.
Old Jan 25, 18, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by West45 View Post
Indeed, I just rang them, gave my preferred dates and routing and they started searching for availability - in fact, the very helpful lady spent a significant amount of time finding the best option in Business, which took a good while. Apparently, once they find a seat you want, they first need to request it with the partner airline and you won't know until ~24h whether the request has gone through. My e-ticket arrived much sooner than that, first thing the next morning.
Old Jan 25, 18, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly View Post
Cripes - when you convert USD to NZD you're getting an absolute bargain! Thanks for posting, it's always good to hear success stories given we hear so few. From what I've seen Swiss certainly look like they have a decent J product. I'm assuming one way price posted? And east coast US or west?
Yes, one-way and the itinerary was JFK > DUS via ZRH.
Old Jan 25, 18, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KiwiJC View Post
With regard to the SQ option, as far as I understand it they do not release J or F partner awards on the A380 and 77W - as such this isnít an issue unique to NZ.

I have always found that the price of *A flights using Airpoints is good, if you can find them! Sounds like there is good availability if youíre looking on the right routes.
Definitely is on the East Coast > Europe routes I would say. Lots of competition within *A and from what I could gather, the best availability was with SWISS, TAP and SAS - not Lufthansa or United, which is probably not all that surprising.
Old Apr 13, 18, 9:47 pm
Used to be highman123

Originally Posted by adventure_seeker View Post
G'day. I have never posted before, but wanted to share a really good *A award ticket experience with APD this week. I'm finding myself in need of one-ways between the U.S. and Europe (and vice versa) in March/April and thought I'd give the *A partner awards a go - despite hearing often there is little to no availability in Business/First. Checking a few days either side of my preferred travel date, there were available Economy seats on virtually every routing we tried (Lufthansa, Swiss, United), Business on several - but not all - and no First; which did not surprise me. I was hoping to score a Business award on the SG A380 5th route JFK > FRA [> SIN], but alas that did not substantiate. I decided I'll try out the new Swiss Business Class; I've heard good things about their single privacy seats behind the First cabin (the "thrones" I think they're called). Given I was able to book my preferred date/time and the actual ticket cost on that routing was ~ USD$6,000, I consider the 1,790 APD + $30.00 taxes extremely good value.

Keen to hear everyone's experience with similar bookings or attempts - did I just get lucky?
That's a great deal! How come the Swiss YQ was not charged?
Old Apr 14, 18, 4:10 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum, VA Gold
Originally Posted by adventure_seeker View Post
Definitely is on the East Coast > Europe routes I would say. Lots of competition within *A and from what I could gather, the best availability was with SWISS, TAP and SAS - not Lufthansa or United, which is probably not all that surprising.
The Air NZ chart just says North America and doesn't differentiate between west and east coast US so it should be the same price in APD for an extra 5hr or so of flying. Same if originating Vancouver or Toronto. Also no distinction between Canada and the US.
Old Apr 14, 18, 5:51 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, CX Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador, 1865 Voyager, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MightyTravels View Post
That's a great deal! How come the Swiss YQ was not charged?
NZ doesn't charge YQ for bookings ex-NZ or for redemption tickets.
Old Apr 14, 18, 7:06 pm
Used to be highman123

Originally Posted by LyingFlat View Post
NZ doesn't charge YQ for bookings ex-NZ or for redemption tickets.
OP referred to JFK-ZRH-DUS which isn't ex NZ by a long shot. Plus are you sure that all carriers re exempt for ex-NZ not just Air New Zealand?

Last edited by MightyTravels; Apr 14, 18 at 7:19 pm
Old Apr 14, 18, 11:13 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, CX Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador, 1865 Voyager, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MightyTravels View Post
OP referred to JFK-ZRH-DUS which isn't ex NZ by a long shot. Plus are you sure that all carriers re exempt for ex-NZ not just Air New Zealand?
I wrote - NZ doesn't charge YQ for bookings ex-NZ OR for redemption tickets
uncleflori likes this.