Y preferred seat or PE middle seats?

Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Y preferred seat or PE middle seats?

My son and I are flying to MEL today and lodged upgrade request which came through to PE. We had originally selected preferred seats in a sky couch row but now have been allocated middle seats (E/F) in centre row in PE.

First world problem I know but are we better off?, (seat wise I mean, I appreciate the service and food/beverage will be better), having only ever sat in PE previously window side with window and aisle seats and have often looked at those in the middle seats and thought to myself “hmmm, not sure about that” (TT it may be ok, but I don’t think I would be happy there for long haul).

I asked at check in as can see blocked seats on seat map and attendant was very helpful and called to enquire for us, but was told they are ‘allocated’. Not sure as we are originating from a regional centre so will maybe check again when we hit the lounge in AKL.

Any thoughts from from flyers who have experience in these seats?

Last edited by ottiehund; Jan 24, 2018 at 12:06 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
PE all the way, even in the centre. I don't think you can downgrade so this is probably moot anyway?

Definitely check at the lounge in AKL re: seats, everything blocked for operational use should be available at T-3 IIRC.
ottiehund likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:37 pm

I've recently flown in both the Skycouch and PE (on the 777-300ER). While the PE seat definitely wasn't uncomfortable and had a considerable amount of legroom, I would say that the Skycouch is probably more preferable for sleeping and although the meals were far better in PE, the service was probably about the same between PE & Y. It's much of a muchness really and I think ultimately it will come down to your own personal preference. In future, I'd be happy to get either.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Update - due to late regional flight (engineering issues with the ATR) we missed our connection to AKL. We were automatically reboked on later flight but had to literally run to international as we landed after our scheduled boarding time, and were the last 2 passengers onto the aircraft. So, no opportunity to ask in the lounge, but the PE cabin was full so we were just pleased to have made it and took our assigned E/F middle seats which were actually not anywhere.near as bad as I feared. I would certainly sit there again if it came down to it, in preference to Y, and would certainly do so long haul although window/aisle would still be preferred.

As as an aside the crew on the regional flight and Air NZ in CHC were very helpful, staff in AKL couldn’t have been much less interested (we were told to go to the sevice desk on arrival) and just said words to the effect “don’t wait for the bus you better just start walking, no you better run”. Thankfully we had carry on and didn’t need to wait for luggage and got a quick run through security which helped..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.