Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

SQ kills WLG-CBR, replaces it with WLG-MEL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ kills WLG-CBR, replaces it with WLG-MEL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2018, 12:05 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by HaaZe
Well at that price point, I certainly jumped on it. And have joked with my friends that WLG people will be in constant "orbit" over the Tasman if the prices remain at that level (which, sadly, won't happen). I think there may be a fair bit of regional interest in WLG as a departure point, beyond its normal catchment area. I can never see Air NZ interlining and "feeding" this service though, without some sour grapes.
Why would Air NZ interline for a product that has no market? If you live outside the Wellington catchment area then the MEL (and the current CBR) service is not going to be of any interest. It makes no sense to use the service to get to SIN if you're going to have to catch a flight to get to WLG in the first place - you would just fly to SIN via CHC or AKL non stop.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:52 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
I would only ever consider this a feasible route if the departure and/or arrival times for the purpose of the trip have to be aligned
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by dadig
I would only ever consider this a feasible route if the departure and/or arrival times for the purpose of the trip have to be aligned
A 7am departure from MEL to WLG won't suit lots of people just interested in that sector.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:04 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
This is never going to last
Old Jan 26, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
I hadn't realized that TT pricing had dropped to that level. In 2006-2007, when I was commuting WLG-MEL or AKL-MEL weekly, I used to pay ~$800 r/t. NZ encouraged me to fly QF in those days, with their non-status-earning Smart Saver fares (QF being the same price, and earning SC/points). There used to be a group of people that I saw every week on those same flights.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by ajnz
I hadn't realized that TT pricing had dropped to that level. In 2006-2007, when I was commuting WLG-MEL or AKL-MEL weekly, I used to pay ~$800 r/t. NZ encouraged me to fly QF in those days, with their non-status-earning Smart Saver fares (QF being the same price, and earning SC/points). There used to be a group of people that I saw every week on those same flights.
AKL-MEL,SYD,BNE are often (By often at-least once an week sale) on sale with NZ for between $129-159 oneway, although the rest of the country doesn't seem to be that lucky.

$800-900return you can get an J return special on the Tasman ex-AKL, although with EK exiting the Tasman from AKL those days are probably gone.

Still remember the the best Tasman fare I brought was AKL-MEL for $69 on NZ (Seat Only) It was the day that JQ launched AKL-MEL, NZ undercut the JQ launch fare.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
AKL-MEL,SYD,BNE are often (By often at-least once an week sale) on sale with NZ for between $129-159 oneway, although the rest of the country doesn't seem to be that lucky.

$800-900return you can get an J return special on the Tasman ex-AKL, although with EK exiting the Tasman from AKL those days are probably gone.

Still remember the the best Tasman fare I brought was AKL-MEL for $69 on NZ (Seat Only) It was the day that JQ launched AKL-MEL, NZ undercut the JQ launch fare.
$179ish fares are pretty common ex WLG as well. It's still pretty rare to get under $230ish on the return sector though due to the much higher tax departing Australia.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 3:56 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
The new schedule is much more convenient for travel between WLG and Europe, with short connections in SIN in both directions.

The schedule is also better for connecting NZ domestic flights in both directions (e.g. BHE, NSN).

I notice the Canberra is moving from 4 a week to daily flights, albeit as a triangle SIN-SYD-CBR-SIN. Reinforces my impression (from about a dozen or so trips) that flights between SIN and CBR were full.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QFWP, IHG Plat, *wood Gold
If SQ brought the A359 to WLG, then i would be particularly interested in this flight. I tried out their A359 on a shortish trip to India and really like the J class offering. Not sure about sleeping though. when I did take the WLG-CBR-SIN the last leg was never long enough to get anything more than a dose. May be due to the angle seats in J, but mostly due to the reduced time CBR-SIN instead of say AKL-SIN which is a longer sector and more conducive to some shut eye.
Could potentially forego all of that for the A359, really like it as an aircraft....
Old Jan 28, 2018, 12:22 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by djsteve
If SQ brought the A359 to WLG, then i would be particularly interested in this flight. I tried out their A359 on a shortish trip to India and really like the J class offering. Not sure about sleeping though. when I did take the WLG-CBR-SIN the last leg was never long enough to get anything more than a dose. May be due to the angle seats in J, but mostly due to the reduced time CBR-SIN instead of say AKL-SIN which is a longer sector and more conducive to some shut eye.
Could potentially forego all of that for the A359, really like it as an aircraft....
I found the trick was to get a nap WLG-CBR and skip the meals CBR-SIN (at least breakfast if not supper also).
ottiehund likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 11:44 am

Swaping aircraft on the WLG route introduces a few additional complexities that all need to be met, one of which being engineering requirements. It's not just a matter of deciding one day to change planes.

NZ would need to train up a WLG based engineer on the A350 or fly in one of their A350 trained engineers from AKL as cover while the plane is on the ground.They have 777 trained engineers at WLG now both for SQ, and so the airport can be used for a divert if needed.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Just got an email from SQ plugging Melbourne as a destination.
A good plug would be if SQ offered to status match their KF for NZ's AP.

Might even do NZ a favour to thin out their unwanted excess NZ*E.
Ellice likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by poopbunny
A good plug would be if SQ offered to status match their KF for NZ's AP.

Might even do NZ a favour to thin out their unwanted excess NZ*E.
This isn't allowed under *A rules
Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by sbiddle
This isn't allowed under *A rules
No such rules although it may be frown upon. TK, O6 happily status matched other *A programmes a few years ago.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
No such rules although it may be frown upon. TK, O6 happily status matched other *A programmes a few years ago.
UA will also do status matches (as part of their corporate program) from other Star programs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.