Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

How much time for AKL connection on separate NZ tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2018, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA

Hi NZ flyers, I will be arriving at 05:35AM from SFO on a Monday morning in April. I'd like to get a fairly early connecting ticket, don't plan on staying in AKL on the inbound day.

I am seeing good fares on some flights leaving at 07:30, 08:05, 08:30 and later to a few possible South Island destinations.
I will arrive on Air New Zealand (UA ticket stock but NZ metal) and would have an Air New Zealand domestic flight.
Any experiences on buying a separate, fairly cheap NZ domestic ticket connecting with a NZ international arrival?

I am curious about immigration lines, if I check a bag or not? I could also buy one of the changeable NZ fares for maybe NZ30 more.....
Oh and I have no status on Star Alliance....
Thanks for any advice/ideas.

Last edited by kyushuman; Jan 20, 2018 at 12:48 pm
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Hi NZ flyers, I will be arriving at 05:35AM from SFO on a Monday morning in April. I'd like to get a fairly early connecting ticket, don't plan on staying in AKL on the inbound day.

I am seeing good fares on some flights leaving at 07:30, 08:05, 08:30 and later to a few possible South Island destinations.
I will arrive on Air New Zealand (UA ticket stock but NZ metal) and would have an Air New Zealand domestic flight.
Any experiences on buying a separate, fairly cheap NZ domestic ticket connecting with a NZ international arrival?

I am curious about immigration lines, if I check a bag or not? I could also buy one of the changeable NZ fares for maybe NZ30 more.....
Immigration is the least of your worries. Assuming you're traveling on an eligible e-passport then it's a really bad day if it takes any longer than 2-3 mins to get through immigration. Checking a bag makes no real difference in the grand scheme of things.

Under normal circumstances 2 hours is plenty, however if you are worried then spending $30 for a flexi ticket will mean you won't have anything to worry about if there were other issues such as a delayed flight from SFO.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E
Two hours is more that adequate at Auckland airport this time of morning , presuming your traveling on a US passport with no reason to be held back. (I.e. bringing in food and not declaring it)

I think my record is about 12 minutes from exiting the plane to being curb side, averages about 35 min as long as there is no hold up with the airline unloading bags.

I fly in to Auckland from SFO or LAX and catch a domestic flight ~3x a year for the last 5 years on one of these early morning arrival flights..

There’s a flight (or two) that arrives from LA and about the same time as yours , so occasionally you can be clearing customs together and slow down slightly

it is a 10-15 minute walk between the domestic and international terminal. There’s a free shuttle if you don’t fancy stretching your legs, though tends to take longer than walking.

if you are on a seperate booking, you’ll need to recheck your bags in at the domestic terminal, . (If they were merged you could check your bags through though this will only save you a few minutes).

If you have gold status on a Star Alliance airline you could go to the domestic Air New Zealand lounge and have a quick shower.

There is very little to do the the domestic terminal so I wouldn’t stay longer than you need.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Biggest worry - would likely being an delay to get an gate on arrival (while at 0530am it should be too bad) AKL has an tendency to overbook the terminal with sometimes waits of 30minutes for an gate.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)

Oh and I have no status on Star Alliance....
What I always do is go on grabaseat.co.nz and buy a ticket that can be changed the day of travel. It's usually only US $15-20 more and will remove all stress. It's worth it, in my mind. Don't buy it from the US Air New Zealand website, you'll pay a lot more. That said, the 8.05 departure usually won't be a problem but you never know.
Ellice likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:13 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Sometimes you get a remote stand on arrival which delays things considerably.

I normally allow 3 hours but if you want the option of an earlier flight get a flexi ticket (but first check the earlier flights aren't full or very nearly full).
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:50 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
There is no guarantee a flexi ticket will be useful as I found out in my most recent such case (domestic ticket separate from international). Up until the day before there was plenty of seats available on the earlier flights. On the day however, the 4 flights before the one I'd booked were all oversold = no change of flight & long time in the lounge.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
Dont know how much youre paying for your flight but: https://grabaseat.co.nz/

For the logistics, you can walk Int to Dom in about 10-15mins or right outside the Int terminal is a free shuttle bus every few mins. Dont forget to declare any food items or dump them, NZ is very serious about bio security.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Osmo
Dont know how much youre paying for your flight but: https://grabaseat.co.nz/

It's worth noting here that with the exception of F class GAS international fares (because of the restrictions on that class) you will only see the same pricing on the GAS website as you will going straight to airnz.co.nz

All the GAS site does it do a search using the main airnz booking engine and displays a GAS logo in the corner. You will not get cheaper domestic fares looking at the GAS site than you will looking at the main airnz.co.nz site
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by wackyflyer
Two hours is more that adequate at Auckland airport this time of morning , presuming your traveling on a US passport with no reason to be held back. (I.e. bringing in food and not declaring it)

I think my record is about 12 minutes from exiting the plane to being curb side, averages about 35 min as long as there is no hold up with the airline unloading bags.

I fly in to Auckland from SFO or LAX and catch a domestic flight ~3x a year for the last 5 years on one of these early morning arrival flights..

There’s a flight (or two) that arrives from LA and about the same time as yours , so occasionally you can be clearing customs together and slow down slightly

it is a 10-15 minute walk between the domestic and international terminal. There’s a free shuttle if you don’t fancy stretching your legs, though tends to take longer than walking.

if you are on a seperate booking, you’ll need to recheck your bags in at the domestic terminal, . (If they were merged you could check your bags through though this will only save you a few minutes).

If you have gold status on a Star Alliance airline you could go to the domestic Air New Zealand lounge and have a quick shower.

There is very little to do the the domestic terminal so I wouldn’t stay longer than you need.
Pretty sure I used to arrive on EK then check-in for NZ and drop bags at NZ transfer within international terminal if >60min prior to departure. Haven't done that for a while though.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Pretty sure I used to arrive on EK then check-in for NZ and drop bags at NZ transfer within international terminal if >60min prior to departure. Haven't done that for a while though.
You may be right about being able to check in at the international terminal on arrival at Akuckland, then walking across to domestic. Although I connect to domestic from a USA arriving Air NZ flight often, my flights are (almost) always on the same booking prn so am ready checked trough.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by wackyflyer
You may be right about being able to check in at the international terminal on arrival at Akuckland, then walking across to domestic. Although I connect to domestic from a USA arriving Air NZ flight often, my flights are (almost) always on the same booking prn so am ready checked trough.
I'm not aware of any ability to check in at the international terminal. Everything is kiosks (which I've been told will only allow checking in for international flights) so you'd need to probably use something like the Premium area if you're eligible.

Even then the bag drop is such a hassle there now that there is quote honestly no point any longer, it's far easier to just walk the 8-9 mins to the domestic with bags and drop them there. In the old days with a dedicated domestic xfer desk things were a lot simpler.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
A couple questions--
1) What are my chances of, at check in at SFO for the SFO-AKL leg, I can show my AKL-ZQN confirmation and get a bag checked through (I guess I have to retrieve it anyway at AKL, right?) So maybe that wouldn't matter....
I did end up booking the 08:05, which gives me 2:30 connecting time.
2) Wonder what happens if the NZ international flight is late? I would imagine it costing me, though often with US airlines they put me on their next available flight since it's the same airline and they were late.
Any experiences with either 1 or 2 above?
Thanks
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
A couple questions--
1) What are my chances of, at check in at SFO for the SFO-AKL leg, I can show my AKL-ZQN confirmation and get a bag checked through (I guess I have to retrieve it anyway at AKL, right?) So maybe that wouldn't matter....
I did end up booking the 08:05, which gives me 2:30 connecting time.
2) Wonder what happens if the NZ international flight is late? I would imagine it costing me, though often with US airlines they put me on their next available flight since it's the same airline and they were late.
Any experiences with either 1 or 2 above?
Thanks
1. NZ has strict no through check policy for seperate tickets (They will bend it for there own Gold/Elite at times), you need to collect your bags in AKL anyway as its your first point of call in New Zealand.

2. NZ isn't like US airlines - they will make you purchase an new ticket full stop.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:22 pm

The Air New Zealand Explorer Pass may be what you're looking for:

https://www.airnewzealand.com/explorer-pass

I've personally used the pass for booking flights between AKL and ZQN and found the process to be fairly seamless. I suspect you are eligible for this as you're flying on NZ metal (should call the number listed on the site to confirm as I was flying on NZ metal and cardstock). This pass gives you the flexibility you the flexibility to book your NZ/AU travel as needed while offering you a competitive rate on the flights.

On side note, here are my experience flying to AKL (from YVR) last year on NZ:
  1. Aircraft arrived an hour late due to plane's wheels getting stuck to snow in YVR (don't suspect that will be a problem in SFO).
  2. Deplaned via stairs and took bus to terminal
  3. At immigration there was a sign for Anglosphere passport holders - Canada, USA, Australia, UK and New Zealand who could use self-serve kiosk - literally took a minute to get slip of paper that would open gate to let me into country
  4. Carry ons went through x-ray for agriculture inspection (took 5 mins)
  5. Exit Baggage Area (took 3 mins)
In total from deplaning to being in the arrivals lounge I'd say I spent maybe 15 minutes if that. I would strongly recommend against checking in any bags since that can significantly add time.

International to domestic is a 15 minute walk, likely similar bus ride (allowing you some time to orient yourself to your surroundings).

Security in New Zealand is like TSA pre-check (i.e. no long queues and security agents won't ask for silly dances).

Therefore, from my experience I would think that you should give yourself an hour to make the connection (assuming no IRROPS which you can't really prepare too much for).

Hope that helps.

Safe Travels,

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.