Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hi -Fly Downgrade (or Upgrade?)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2018, 3:39 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Just flew AKL-SYD in PE on Hi-Fly operated aircraft on NZ105 this afternoon. Honestly, I didn't think it was too bad (in PE, at least), and I quite enjoyed the novelty. My mini review:
  • Boarding was a bit painful - hustled down from lounge at 'final call' only to find boarding hadn't actually started... but not sure if this was anything to do with Hi-Fly or the aircraft
  • No predeparture beverage on the ground (which only sometimes seems to happen for PE anyway - haven't figured out when this is or isn't offered)
  • Seats are a mixed bag - fantastic legroom and recline compared to NZ PE but fairly narrow and not super comfortable. Footrest doesn't go out nearly far enough for tall people... but then again nor does PE seat's. Overall, probably a slight improvement on PE but showing age
  • IFE is pretty horrible - looped channels (ie no AVOD), only 6 or 7 options, low resolution, and they didn't announce before the movies started what was playing and on which channel
  • Drinks service = same as business class, so a nice upgrade. Billecart Salmon champagne was a happy surprise when expecting the dreaded Dulcet ^ . Plenty of refills offered proactively.
  • Food service also seemed very similar to, if not the same as business class. Offered 'Chicken, beef or salmon' with no menu or further description; went for beef and it was OK. Definitely better than economy class meal, not as good as expected for NZ biz/PE. Appetiser was a weirdly plated and basic chicken salad. Dessert of Kapiti ice cream plus a separate pre-packaged ginger slice. Also a simple cheese plate. Chocolates offered after the meal with tea/coffee. I got the feeling they were compensating in quantity for the slightly subpar quality and distinctly subpar presentation/plating.
  • Service was fine and pretty friendly, with smiles from most Hi-Fly crew.
There was a lot less finesse than the usual NZ offering, but if you don't particularly care about the IFE then no great reason to avoid Hi-Fly in PE SYD-AKL at least (and arguably reasons to seek it out if you like a drink or two inflight). In business class (and perhaps Y) the case might be less convincing but I'd argue PE is a bit of a sweet spot for this temporary product.
aircam and jdavido like this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by mad_atta
Boarding was a bit painful - hustled down from lounge at 'final call' only to find boarding hadn't actually started... but not sure if this was anything to do with Hi-Fly or the aircraft
I’ve experienced this several times on NZ operated services in last six months. On another occasion was on plane and then had 20 min wait “while fueling is completed please don’t do up your seatbelts”.

Obviously on time departure is a priority and with tight schedules they would rather have you in the gate lounge/on the plane early than have a delay because someone takes their time. It has on a couple of occasions been a bit of an unnecessary sprint though - on at least one I’m sure there was only a ‘final’ call in the lounge.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:22 pm

I don't think this is unique to HiFly operated services. I was "final called" by name before boarding had even come up on the app and with no prior boarding call at the CHC Domestic Koru lounge about a month ago. When I reached the gate I was the last to board. Very light loading on the aircraft, so that may have been a factor.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
this topic has been thrashed a bit, but here are some of my experiences on PER-AKL last night, in economy (Elite Partner)

1) Perth lounge much smaller than I expected. Waited a bit for a shower, but in the end used the disabled one. Couldn't believe the state a passenger left the other one when I walked by a bit later and what is it that people think chairs etc are made for their feet - shoes and no shoes. Wouldn't survive in my household.
2) boarding started early - plane was refuelling on loading
3) pushed off a few minutes early, landed a few minutes early
4) no acknowledgement by AirNZ that I was EP (e.g., no headphones although the flight manager was walking around with some presumably for the Elites on board - he told a non-NZ status passenger that he couldn't have them, because they don't work with the system - However my brother (Elite) flying AKL-PER reported receiving headphones)
5) the meal was OK, 2 rounds of drinks, all over within 2 hours and no other food or drinks offered
6) movies limited - but managed to find 3 the were good enough
7) HiFly staff doing the basics and not much more
8) plane interiors drab
9) toilets between business and economy sections were curtained off in both directions - made no sense to me to block off two toilets, apart from trying to give staff a space away from passengers - didn't wrk as people went through the curtain
10) AirNZ staff (3 of them I think) no where to be seen on arrival

Last edited by jeffrocowboy; Mar 5, 2018 at 3:25 pm
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:30 pm

NZD is doing its first flight today since Dec 6

https://www.flightradar24.com/ANZ6230/109f16dd

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.