Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AIRPOINTS Credit Card (Westpac)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
It's unlimited entry card though?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:23 am

"P" is their logo.

Yes, it is unlimited entry.

It doesn't say anywhere on the card whether it is Standard, Standard Plus or Prestige. I clarified before joining but hope there is no mistake! It's definitely not Standard as I haven't had to pay for any visits. If I get asked to pay after my 10th visit, then I'll know it is Standard Plus. Hopefully all the information I was given is correct and it is Prestige!
jeffrocowboy likes this.

Last edited by tuxedo66; Mar 15, 2019 at 3:26 am Reason: for completeness.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by tuxedo66
"P" is their logo.

Yes, it is unlimited entry.

It doesn't say anywhere on the card whether it is Standard, Standard Plus or Prestige. I clarified before joining but hope there is no mistake! It's definitely not Standard as I haven't had to pay for any visits. If I get asked to pay after my 10th visit, then I'll know it is Standard Plus. Hopefully all the information I was given is correct and it is Prestige!
let us know what happens on visit 11 :-)
tuxedo66 likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 5:26 pm

Unlimited entries

Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
let us know what happens on visit 11 :-)
I'm on my 11th visit to the lounge and I'm in. So I guess this confirms the Westpac World Mastercard does give the full, unlimited Prestige membership.
jeffrocowboy likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:58 am

The recent AusBT article about Amex withdrawing support for the PriorityPass AU$36 meal credit in lieu of a lounge in Sydney leads me to increase my suspicion that we just have a Standard PriorityPass, but Westpac foot the bill for us each time we use it...
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:44 am

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum
Have just upgraded to the Westpac World card from the Platinum for two reasons
The 120 day travel insurance (the 35 day coverage with the platiuum required a $500 topup for an extra 15 days of coverage)
2 x AIRNZ parking vouchers
either one or the other pays for the difference especially in the length of travel insurance coverage
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Westpac World card

Originally Posted by ClanJ
Have just upgraded to the Westpac World card from the Platinum for two reasons
The 120 day travel insurance (the 35 day coverage with the platiuum required a $500 topup for an extra 15 days of coverage)
2 x AIRNZ parking vouchers
either one or the other pays for the difference especially in the length of travel insurance coverage
1: the free priority pass unlimited use lounge cards that come with the card are fantastic too
you can use them for arrivals too
2: the free fees saves you $390 per annum *with min spends
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Semi OT. I have been leery of solely relying on CCrd travel insurance policies, and usually have purchased separate polices. When I had AMEX Plat Edge card, the travel insurance policy wording seemed not as comprehensive.

Has anybody any experience of claiming against a CCrd policy ?
Old Jul 6, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
My two experiences of claims/queries with credit card insurance through AIG (same policy Westpac use now that ANZ used previously), and prior to that from memory an Allianz policy were both enough to convince me I'd never want to rely on credit card cover.

A lost property claim dragged on for so long (from memory about 3 months and they were still processing a claim) I actually just gave up and pulled the claim as I needed to replace the lost item.

The 2nd instance was ringing AIG using the ANZ policy about a medical issue. The long winded process of having to validate my eligibility for cover and having to tell them the exact date I'd paid for my flights on my credit card came as a shock to me. Apparently this is the norm for most credit card policies.

As I visit the US so often the thought of being injured in hospital and not being able to be treated because I'm unable to provide the insurance company with the date I purchased my flight to verify I'm covered was enough to convince me that it was a risk I wasn't willing to take.

I'm happy to pay for an annual worldwide policy knowing that with the details I have in my wallet that even if I was unfortunate enough to end up incapacitated that I'm going to be able to be treated.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 6:51 pm

The CC insurance is simple. It is advisable to go to https://www.travelactivate.co.nz/ prior to travel complete the online form to assess eligibility. If okay then a policy number is produced for the trip. I now do this for each trip as only takes a couple of minutes know I have coverage and have a policy number to quote if needed.
Ellice likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by ClanJ
The CC insurance is simple. It is advisable to go to https://www.travelactivate.co.nz/ prior to travel complete the online form to assess eligibility. If okay then a policy number is produced for the trip. I now do this for each trip as only takes a couple of minutes know I have coverage and have a policy number to quote if needed.
Things may have changed but my experience with ANZ was with AIG who also used the travelactivate site. I too thought that completing the form gave a policy number that could be used for claims, but found this wasn't how it actually worked and still needed to provide proof of eligibility by providing the date I had purchased my tickets on my credit card statement while on the phone to their assistance line.

Have you tried claiming or calling this to confirm the policy number is now sufficient?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:01 am

Programs: AirNZ Airpoints Elite
I would would have thought that using the search on your Westpac App would have delivered that info within about 2 minutes? It’s how I search transactions, then again my main bank is Westpac (card issuer)
Generally I buy tickets using Amex - the travel insurance is better (I think) then it is a matter of a quick scroll through some PDF statements.
Happily however I haven’t had to make a claim for many years (sudden death in the family while I was on holiday overseas) so don’t know how easy it is in practise. I just assume it would be relatively straightforward

Originally Posted by sbiddle
My two experiences of claims/queries with credit card insurance through AIG (same policy Westpac use now that ANZ used previously), and prior to that from memory an Allianz policy were both enough to convince me I'd never want to rely on credit card cover.

A lost property claim dragged on for so long (from memory about 3 months and they were still processing a claim) I actually just gave up and pulled the claim as I needed to replace the lost item.

The 2nd instance was ringing AIG using the ANZ policy about a medical issue. The long winded process of having to validate my eligibility for cover and having to tell them the exact date I'd paid for my flights on my credit card came as a shock to me. Apparently this is the norm for most credit card policies.

As I visit the US so often the thought of being injured in hospital and not being able to be treated because I'm unable to provide the insurance company with the date I purchased my flight to verify I'm covered was enough to convince me that it was a risk I wasn't willing to take.

I'm happy to pay for an annual worldwide policy knowing that with the details I have in my wallet that even if I was unfortunate enough to end up incapacitated that I'm going to be able to be treated.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
JANZflyer

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Semi OT. I have been leery of solely relying on CCrd travel insurance policies, and usually have purchased separate polices. When I had AMEX Plat Edge card, the travel insurance policy wording seemed not as comprehensive.

Has anybody any experience of claiming against a CCrd policy ?
Claimed evacuation insurance from a Lukla in Nepal from a CC policy a few years ago, US$5000 each x 2. Paid without issue.
Also claimed for lost items on holiday (bose headphones etc.) paid without issue.

Never had any trouble claiming and to be honest the policies are near identical to ones you buy (In my experience). I now claim through a work policy which is free (didn't realize this before!)
Old Jul 14, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
This may have been covered before but also note that on the Airpoints World card there is no requirement for a minimum spend to activate the travel insurance (for personal travel). So this means you are covered for trips regardless of whether you paid for them on the credit card or not, as long as there is one pre-paid travel cost. Very good benefit as I recently upgraded from Airpoints Plat to Airpoints World and so AIG confirmed that for trips that I purchased with the Plat card, I'd be covered by the World policy as there is no spend requirement. Also confirmed that trips booked using other airlines points (ie QF points) are covered. A very good benefit!

Last edited by NZ_Flyer; Jul 14, 2019 at 4:59 pm
Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:26 pm

I had the same converstaion with AIG for upcoming trips purchased with the Plat card and they confirmed would be covered with upgrade to the world card. Have now done so was very quiick and painless. The 2 parking vouchers logged into my airpoints account straight away. Another benefit is extendied gifting for your airpoints gifting register, handy i would suggest if you are sikver or jade.

While not the prime motivating factor the Prority Pass looks okay. The T&Cs state "To be admitted to a Priority Pass Lounge (and free of charge) you must present your Priority Pass Card and Boarding Pass. My other half also has one as a summplmentary card holder.on what appears to be the same basis as me. We can also take a guest as well which may inncur a charge at the discrection of the lounge opperator (from what I have read does not generally happen).Does not say anywhere in the T&Cs anything about limits on the numder of visits, so all in all appears to be a top end Prority Pass card.

It with all the bits and pieces associated with the card seems to be great value for money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.