APD to GBP conversion rate

Old Jan 9, 18, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, NZ, VS, HH, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
APD to GBP conversion rate

Does anyone know how Air NZ chooses a conversion rate for APD to GBP. Is the conversion fixed when they look to see if you've got enough points to pay for the bid? I'd like to make a One Up bid with my APD. Since our booking was made in the UK, the one-up bids are in sterling. I know if I bid more than I've got, it will just be rejected. .

Last edited by AndrewAndDebbie; Jan 9, 18 at 10:16 am Reason: fix typo
Old Jan 9, 18, 3:40 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
I can't find a concrete answer to your question, but this FAQ on their website related to Pacific Islands/China customers implies that any currency conversion required to use APD occurs at the time of the offer, not at the time of acceptance. Meaning you'd need enough APD in your account at the time of your offer or the system will autoreject it.

This is one of those times where it's nice being in the only other country which has a pegged APD (in Australia, we use AUAPD not NZAPD like the rest of the world. No, I don't know why).
Old Jan 10, 18, 5:58 am
Original Poster

I'll try asking @airnzUK on twitter. I will post back here if I get an answer.
Old Jan 12, 18, 12:17 am
Original Poster

@airnzuk asked me to send them a DM with my Airpoints number. I did that and this was their reply:

Hi Andrew, if you are paying with Airpoints Dollars, your offer will be made in your local currency and then be converted to New Zealand Airpoints Dollars at the relevant daily exchange rate for New Zealand Dollars. ^LM

Not exactly helpful. I asked them for a link to the daily exchange rate they use.
Old Jan 12, 18, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Twitter support not helpful:

Hi Andrew, we're not too sure on that sorry. You can certainly discuss this with our contact centre team. They're available 24/7 and can be reached by calling 0800 ....

I may wait until the 787 issue is over.
Old Jan 12, 18, 7:53 am

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AP Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by AndrewAndDebbie View Post
Does anyone know how Air NZ chooses a conversion rate for APD to GBP. Is the conversion fixed when they look to see if you've got enough points to pay for the bid? I'd like to make a One Up bid with my APD. Since our booking was made in the UK, the one-up bids are in sterling. I know if I bid more than I've got, it will just be rejected. .
I have the same issue but CAD$. If my APD balance is close to what I need, I call in and ask. The conversion rate changes as currency fluctuates. The call centre staff have always been very helpful with this.
Old Jan 13, 18, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Sterling reached a post-brexit high on Friday. I should have done this earlier. Oh well.
Old Jan 22, 18, 6:37 am
Original Poster

The call centre was able to quote me a conversion. From that I was able to make a bid.. Now we wait. At the moment BP isn't even half full, so there is a chance.

I was originally connected to the domestic NZ call centre even though I'm in the UK. They had to forward me to an international agent.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: