Search

Two quick questions re upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air New Zealand Gold
Two quick questions re upgrades

Hi all.

My father in law has generously offered to gift me an Elite Airpoints Dollar upgrade for an upcoming flight to Tokyo. I am on his gifting register but can't see where to lodge this request in his Airpoints account online. Do I need to get him to call AirNZ?

Secondly, I am travelling to LA in June. I am currently gold but should get to Elite by April. Am I better to lodge RU's now as a Gold member or should I wait until I hit Elite and then request them?

Cheers.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by kiwisflying
Secondly, I am travelling to LA in June. I am currently gold but should get to Elite by April. Am I better to lodge RU's now as a Gold member or should I wait until I hit Elite and then request them?
Do the RU now as when you turn Elite any unused/not linked to future bookings Gold RUs will be deleted.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
You lodge them online by simply clicking on the option to lodge an upgrade for a booking not listed here.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle
You lodge them online by simply clicking on the option to lodge an upgrade for a booking not listed here.
Oh cool. Sorry missed that. It says there are no upgradeable flights on that booking. Presumably because I lodged an RU at the time of booking - which won't clear because the loading is pretty high. I've played this very poorly!
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
Oh cool. Sorry missed that. It says there are no upgradeable flights on that booking. Presumably because I lodged an RU at the time of booking - which won't clear because the loading is pretty high. I've played this very poorly!
I think you can call the call centre and have the RU reversed, then lodge the Elite Airpoints upgrade.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:08 am

Why would you want to lodge an upgrade if you already have one lodged?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
I think if your father in law had two RUs you could have used both to go from economy up to business. But I don’t think it would work using one of your RUs and one of his. Don’t quote me though. Maybe the call centre can clarify if you can do this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:32 am

No you can't stack RUs from multiple Airpoints members.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Kiwisflying -maybe you can try putting in your father in laws’s RU and then asking him to apply for the stand by upgrade for you on top of that.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. It was an elite airpoints dollar upgrade he was gifting not an RU. I've withdrawn my silver upgrade and he's put in the request. Still a longshot apparently as the flight is nearly full up front.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Ellice
Kiwisflying -maybe you can try putting in your father in laws’s RU and then asking him to apply for the stand by upgrade for you on top of that.
You can't stack upgrades. If you want to go from Y to BP it needs to be 2 x RU either belonging to the customer or gifted to them.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:41 pm

Thanks all. It was an elite airpoints dollar upgrade he was gifting not an RU. I've withdrawn my silver upgrade and he's put in the request. Still a longshot apparently as the flight is nearly full up front.
While an APD upgrade takes priority so does the date it was lodged. You've probably moved yourself down the list by doing that.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle
While an APD upgrade takes priority so does the date it was lodged. You've probably moved yourself down the list by doing that.
Interesting. The Air New Zealand call centre told me that I would have a better chance with the Elite APD upgrade than my previously lodged Silver RU. I should note that my father in law is travelling with me which I think means it's considered at his status rather than my Gold.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 11:06 pm

It will only be considered in line with his status if you're on the same PNR or the individual PNRs are linked.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
My experience is that Elite APDs are prioritised ahead of Silver and Gold RUs. I’ve travelled as a Silver on a gifted Elite APD and had my upgrades consistently cleared before a colleague who was Gold using Gold RUs- all upgrades requested at the same time weeks in advance. I also was on a flight with two friends who were both Silver but 3 separate bookings. One used his Silver RU and I put in an Elite APD for the other. Requested at the same time. The Elite APD came through and the Silver didn’t.

Apparently Elite APDs are prioritised ahead of Silver and Gold RUs regardless of the status of the recipient.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.