Wiki Posts
Search

Wifi Roll-Out

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G
Wifi Roll-Out

"The service will be available progressively with the installation of inflight Wi-Fi on our Boeing 777-300 fleet expected to be completed by June 2018 and our Boeing 777-200 fleet rolling out from April next year."

Anyone know what kind of charges to expect?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11931139

It is still working out what it will charge for the service once it is rolled across the fleet.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
I would suspect it would not be cheaper than any other providers . . . that is just business. I pick probably close to $100NZD for a bundle AKL - LAX . . . . with intermittent connectivity :-P
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I'm really surprised they didn't get it factory fitted on NZL.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:03 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I'm really surprised they didn't get it factory fitted on NZL.
I think they could have got it on the 777-300ER's as well when they were ordered.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:16 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by WLG Base
I think they could have got it on the 777-300ER's as well when they were ordered.
Or why they didn't get it added while the 77W's we're getting the PE re-fit.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:02 am

They couldn't get it when they purchased the 77W's because they weren't committed to WiFi then.

As for doing it during the refit my understanding is some prewiring has been done with the existing refits before OKS.

People need to remember GX is a very new platform and OKS is one of only a small number of commercial aircraft in the world with an operational GX deployment. I believe SQ (launch GX airline customer) only have a handful of aircraft with it so far.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by kiwicyclo
I would suspect it would not be cheaper than any other providers . . . that is just business. I pick probably close to $100NZD for a bundle AKL - LAX . . . . with intermittent connectivity :-P
An NZ herald article I just read today says AA had wifi entire flight for $27. Presumably USD.

Previously on EY was ~$25? for 24 hr access I think meaning it would transfer to your next flight. Would be good if NZ offer something similar for Oz transiting NZ to US etc or LHR.

Seriously hoping it's nowhere near the NZD $100 mark. I don't think the uptake would be good at that price point.

The herald article on wifi said NZ were gathering feedback on pricing as well as the service. Really hope it's speedy with great coverage. I hate paying for EKs wifi and you can load like 6 pages TT. Painful! Even worse now they have changed their pricing.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:58 pm

You can't easily compare WiFi across different airlines - EK's for example is a horrible antiquated L band platform that offers incredibly slow speeds.

Air NZ's GX offers far better bandwidth per plane but that means people will use more data. More data means a higher cost for the service.

The thing that still puzzles me is Air NZ's deployment on the domestic A320 fleet. I don't understand the need for this or where the demand will come from. We're not a country that has long jet flights.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: NZ*E
This will be interesting.
I’m not a big fan on inflight WiFi because it costs extra. Although I have accepted that it’s users pay and it’s only fair for those who needs it to pay for the services, I’m of the view that it’s not necessary in most cases. Yes there would be a great thing if I have the option but I would only use it when I really have to. I actually enjoy the piece of quiet and freedom when I’m away from the social, work world.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
I'd love to have wifi on both domestic and long haul NZ flights. It's so common now in the US (and often cheap or free) that I'm now totally used to getting a full day of work in while traveling without needing to plan out tasks that don't require internet. I have to think a lot harder about what I need to get done on NZ flights and what data I need to have with me locally. I happily spend the US$25 or so that UA charges on their pacific long haul flights... glad to hear that it'll be coming to NZ soon!
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: NZ*S
If its <$5/hr for inflight wifi i can see myself occasionally using it, but $100 for AKL-LAX, nope, not going to pay that. Also depends on performance, i'm not expectiong lightning quick or media streaming, but if it is not significantly better than EKs offering its not worth the money.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
Originally Posted by SpannerSpinner
If its <$5/hr for inflight wifi i can see myself occasionally using it, but $100 for AKL-LAX, nope, not going to pay that. Also depends on performance, i'm not expectiong lightning quick or media streaming, but if it is not significantly better than EKs offering its not worth the money.
I was completely floored by the connection quality on a UA 787 on SYD-LAX a few months back. I was able to work on a VPN to Boston, upload files to graphical editors, work with collaborative docs, run API calls from the sky, even run live graphical remote desktop apps. I didn't try to do anything seriously high bandwidth, like stream video from a server physically in Boston, but for like 98% of things that sciencey types like me do, whatever technology UA uses on their 787 works great.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:36 pm

Programs: Permanent nobody on AA, UA, QF & NZ
from my own experiece both AA and UA were really reasonably priced but there was quite a big deadzone over the middle of the pacific...but hey gotta sleep sometime

I still thought it worthwhile for the sake of 25 usd or so

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
An NZ herald article I just read today says AA had wifi entire flight for $27. Presumably USD.

Previously on EY was ~$25? for 24 hr access I think meaning it would transfer to your next flight. Would be good if NZ offer something similar for Oz transiting NZ to US etc or LHR.

Seriously hoping it's nowhere near the NZD $100 mark. I don't think the uptake would be good at that price point.

The herald article on wifi said NZ were gathering feedback on pricing as well as the service. Really hope it's speedy with great coverage. I hate paying for EKs wifi and you can load like 6 pages TT. Painful! Even worse now they have changed their pricing.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:11 am

OKP leaves SIN tomorrow to head back to AKL and will be the 2nd aircraft with WiFi.

OKQ heads off soon marking the end of the Spaceseat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.