Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Carryon luggage--still rigorously enforced?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

It has been two years since traveling on NZ. The last time we departed LAX they were very, very rigorous in their requirements for overhead luggage. Our travel cases measure the 47 linear inches so they did finally let us on, but it was a struggle. I am wondering if we need to purchase new luggage in order to ease the conflict, or like other carriers, they have relaxed just a little bit on the wheels issue. We both come in under weight limit and just really hate to part with our Travel Pro luggage. Currently looking at the Travel Pro Platinum Magna 2 Pro series and trying to decide if we should go with the "International carry on", or go all the way down to the "business roll aboard tote" which is about 4 inches shorter. Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

A
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:11 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
There isn't really a simple answer for that.

If you're going to break NZ carry-on rules on any service you need to be aware of the consequences and to deal with those if caught. You may or may not get caught.

NZ (and take the rest of the aviation world) is not the US.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: NZ *E
You could just check a bag?
davidrnz likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Sorry--about your assumption that all Americans are jerks--in this case you are quite wrong! What we are trying to do is to understand exactly what is acceptable. Have seen many cases on NZ and they all seem to be "close" to the same size as ours- 47 linear inches. Some seem to go through without a problem and others do not. If you shop for new luggage you will find that there is not not one being manufactured that fits exactly, unless it is substantially smaller (usually around 4 inches shorter in length).
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by alpenrose
Sorry--about your assumption that all Americans are jerks--in this case you are quite wrong! What we are trying to do is to understand exactly what is acceptable. Have seen many cases on NZ and they all seem to be "close" to the same size as ours- 47 linear inches. Some seem to go through without a problem and others do not. If you shop for new luggage you will find that there is not not one being manufactured that fits exactly, unless it is substantially smaller (usually around 4 inches shorter in length).
Also AirNZ (and most of the rest of the world) defines things in cm not inches. And looking at AirNZ's page on it is 118cm which is approximately 46.4567 inches. So if the bag was 47 inches it is too big. And their diagram shows including the wheels in the measurements. As if you don't include the wheels you may struggle to fit the bag in wheels first handle out. If your bag has to go in sideways you are taking up more than you fair share.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Thank you nzkarit:

So you think that the 1/2 inch will make a difference?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 3:26 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Thank you nzkarit:

So you think that the 1/2 inch will make a difference?
It might. 47 inches is 119.4cm, which is more than 118cm.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
I've had totally variable experiences with NZ checking the weight of my carryon bag. Coming from the US it's never been an issue (and I've been a good 5-6 kg over in weight limit). Coming from NZ, sometimes they notice, sometimes they don't. Never, however, have I been required to check my bag and never have I had to pay a fee. It seems to depend entirely on who's working the counter for check-in, whether or not you give them some indication that you are unsure of your bag size, and whether it's a full moon.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 5:00 pm

The flights where it might be nicer for them to pay attention on size is the Q300 and ATR72 flights seeing the overhead bins are smaller. Bags that fit wheels in on an A320 most likely have to be put in sideways on the Q300 or ATR72 which takes up more than the pax fair share of room over head. The Q300 and ATR72 are where I have seen the cabin crew doing the most work rearranging the bins and finding empty spots for people and the chain is often started by a bag having to go in sideways.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 5:03 pm

I haven't been on those smaller planes within NZ but industry-wide airlines seem to be much more careful about overhead baggage on those planes. The only time I've ever had a bag weighed within Canada or the US is on very short hop flights with prop planes.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:21 am

Programs: Air NZ
I bought luggage that meets AirNZ measurements, but is a little bigger than some other airlines measurements.
It would be great to see them all have the same measurement somehow. There can't be that many commercial aircraft manufacturers.

I wonder if AirNZ could check bag sizing at the gate. There always seems to be a lot of time spent hanging around waiting for the gate to actually open....
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jimi_Snuka
There can't be that many commercial aircraft manufacturers.
Its not the aircraft manufacturers but the interior manufactures. The aircraft manufactures do offer their vision cabin but that is a vision.

Well you it gets tricky to pick a size a bag that fits wheels in on a A320 can only fit in sideways on a Q300. Then from the narrows to the wides you offen change from the flip up doors to the bins that hang down. As the the roof is higher and have more crown space to do this.

Then in recent years Boeing has tweak the insulation etc on the 737 and can now fit a bin that lets cabin bags fit sitting on their side rather than sitting on their back which means more bags will fit.

So if you were only to have one measurement would need to pick a number that fits on a Turbo prop. And you don't want that really. AirNZ does specify a smaller cabin bag size for the Truboprops compared with the turbofans.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
I'm pretty sure his assumption is that the way carryons are handled in the US is wildly inconsistent and leads to a crappy customer experience. People being allowed to board with 2 carryon-sized bags plus a personal item in economy. People with bags that are obviously too big to fit above portrait style.

Don't be so sensitive...you received a legitimate response to your question.

Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by jawnbc
I'm pretty sure his assumption is that the way carryons are handled in the US is wildly inconsistent and leads to a crappy customer experience. People being allowed to board with 2 carryon-sized bags plus a personal item in economy. People with bags that are obviously too big to fit above portrait style.
I've found carry-ons to be quite consistently enforced on mainline routes in the US, at least on UA. But maybe that's just me.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
I've never had my carry-on weighed or checked at the gate when flying NZ. Before I had any NZ status and before kiosk check-in, the check-on agents at the counter would ask to weigh carry-on every now and then. I'll be honest and I never actually measure my suitcases either, if the suitcase marketing says it is within carry-on dimensions I just take the risk. Sorry probably not much help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.