787 schedule changes/cancellations

Old Dec 8, 17, 12:36 am

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Beckett66 View Post
It's affected our flight from AKL>RAR in late March. The B789 has been preemptively replaced by an A320. The 3 of us had sale PE seats. We've been offered Y Works seats on the A320 and zero compensation. I could have saved >$200 each if I'd booked Y Works during the same sale but they compare what we paid for PE with what you'd pay currently for Y, which seems ludicrous to me.
Narrow body to wide body (and vice versa) changes happen regularly on S2S routes depending on loads. It's highly unlikely to be anything to do with the current issue.
Old Dec 8, 17, 12:52 am

Programs: NZ Elite *G
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
Narrow body to wide body (and vice versa) changes happen regularly on S2S routes depending on loads. It's highly unlikely to be anything to do with the current issue.
Seemed odd to me too but I'd escalated it to the manager of the Premium Team member I'd dealt with and the manager told me it was because of this current issue.
Old Dec 8, 17, 11:04 am

Programs: NZ Koru
It's affected our flight from AKL>RAR in late March. The B789 has been preemptively replaced by an A320. The 3 of us had sale PE seats. We've been offered Y Works seats on the A320 and zero compensation. I could have saved >$200 each if I'd booked Y Works during the same sale but they compare what we paid for PE with what you'd pay currently for Y, which seems ludicrous to me.
Did they not offer you to change flight?
Old Dec 8, 17, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
Did they not offer you to change flight?
Yes, they offered PE on different days, which I'm checking about. But we'd timed it perfectly for Easter and an accommodation deal that ended exactly when we returned, so I'm not sure I can change the days.
Old Dec 8, 17, 2:46 pm

Yes, they offered PE on different days, which I'm checking about. But we'd timed it perfectly for Easter and an accommodation deal that ended exactly when we returned, so I'm not sure I can change the days.
if they do put you in Works make sure you get the works status points as you get more points generally in economy than PE. NZ know about this anomaly but will not change as apparently not enough people have complained This affects all AKL flights to/ from The Cooks, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga. PE on all these routes maxes out at 32 SP while Y can go up to 75.
​​​​​​​AKL to RAR 29 March seat only $550 38SP PE $824 29SP so if you think PE gets more status it does everywhere but PI flights.
Old Dec 9, 17, 12:35 am

Thanks. I've noticed that craziness. We managed to change our hotel and flight dates by 1 day so all is well.
Old Dec 10, 17, 3:16 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

It is a big long problem, by the looks. I wonder if RR or NZ is footing the bill? Does NZ rent or own the RR engines?

Air New Zealand leases aircraft from Hi Fly in Portugal after Dreamliner problems - NZ Herald

An A330 and A340 wet leased from Hifly. And they will be doing Perth and Sydney runs.
Old Dec 10, 17, 3:22 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Next question when did AirNZ last wet lease a Turbo Fan plane?

Last edited by nzkarit; Dec 10, 17 at 5:38 pm
Old Dec 10, 17, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit View Post
It is a big long problem, by the looks. I wonder if RR or NZ is footing the bill? Does NZ rent or own the RR engines?
I think the engine comes with the plane, so if the plane is leased the engine is leased with it.

Last edited by Top of climb; Dec 10, 17 at 4:17 pm
Old Dec 10, 17, 4:24 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by Top of climb View Post
I think the engine comes with the plane, so if the plane is leased the engine is leased with it.
Even if you own the plane you might still rent engines. As it is then up to the engine manufacturer to have spares & maintenance around the world. Pretty sure all the RR A380s are leased for example.

Now all the engine manufacturers offer engines by the hour.
Old Dec 10, 17, 6:02 pm

If my Tasman flight in PE get's changed to 340/330 - do I get upgraded to J or downgraded to Y?
Old Dec 10, 17, 6:17 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
If my Tasman flight in PE get's changed to 340/330 - do I get upgraded to J or downgraded to Y?
Looking at the pictures on the Hi Fly website I'm not sure it is an "upgrade" to J from PE .
Old Dec 10, 17, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by edmm View Post
Looking at the pictures on the Hi Fly website I'm not sure it is an "upgrade" to J from PE .
9H-FOX is the 343 that flew in today, looks like its very EK'ish - A340-300 | 9H-FOX - Fleet | Hi Fly
Old Dec 10, 17, 7:28 pm

Programs: NZ*G
9H-FOX is the 343 that flew in today, looks like its very EK'ish - A340-300 9H-FOX - Fleet Hi Fly
http://www.airfleets.net/ficheapp/plane-a340-185.htm
Old Dec 10, 17, 8:07 pm

Programs: NZ*S, GHA Gold
9H-FOX is the 343 that flew in today, looks like its very EK'ish - A340-300 9H-FOX - Fleet Hi Fly
12 First class seats - will this become the new Elite perk to get these seats? Or, more likely, I suspect that these will be prioritised for those who have non-upgraded tickets in business.

Search this Thread