Perth lounge opening

Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Perth lounge opening

Flew PER-AKL earlier this week and was told at check-in that "our lounge should be opening next week, but for now you have to use the Qantas one".

Anyone else pick up if the NZ PER lounge opening is imminent?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:29 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
As long as it is before March given QF are leaving the international terminal.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
As long as it is before March given QF are leaving the international terminal.
Given QF recently refreshed the international lounge, I wouldn't be surprised if it is retained to continue to service CX, MH, QR, Malindo and others that use it, even after it has moved to T4

There was a period when QF had no international flights out of PER at all and it was kept open because the only other lounges there are SQ and EK, so it is an effective contract lounge.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Can't remember where I read it but NZ say it's opening before the end of the year so I'm guessing what you've been told is correct. Just in time for peak season! Hope to try it out in Jan. Earlier in the year I saw the QF lounge had 'shrunk' to cater for the NZ lounge and it was supposed to get refurbed. Wasn't my favourite lounge but good for a shower.

IF QF left Perth international then where would the one world / other airlines go? I think there's only EK and SQ lounges. At least with NZ opening VA guests on NZ should be allowed. Was denied QF lounge access with my VA # previously.

Maybe they could turn the QF lounge into a priority pass lounge?? I live in hope!
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:40 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
OW airlines could contract with EK, SQ or NZ once QF leaves. There is no requirement that QF operate a lounge for the benefit of other OW airlines, and given they wouldn't be using the terminal themselves, why would they?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by libertyuk
Given QF recently refreshed the international lounge, I wouldn't be surprised if it is retained to continue to service CX, MH, QR, Malindo and others that use it, even after it has moved to T4

There was a period when QF had no international flights out of PER at all and it was kept open because the only other lounges there are SQ and EK, so it is an effective contract lounge.
OW airlines could contract with EK, SQ or NZ once QF leaves. There is no requirement that QF operate a lounge for the benefit of other OW airlines, and given they wouldn't be using the terminal themselves, why would they?
The space the QF lounge now occupies could be leased to any other airline or a 3rd party lounge operator. Its just about the money.
Kiwi Flyer likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:51 pm

I didn't imply it was a requirement. I'm interested to see what happens to OW. If say QR contract to the Air NZ lounge, I'm wondering if QF status would allow entry.
Given VA status didn't allow entry while flying NZ because QF was a contract lounge I don't know what to expect from a similar situation but within the OW alliance. QR offered the best sc for QFF out of Perth vs any other Aussie port last year. I am very curious to see where they land.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 12:07 pm

Looks like it's Tuesday!
https://www.ausbt.com.au/air-new-zea...s-class-lounge
Old Dec 3, 2017, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by AviationNZ
Just saw that!😃 Finally👍🏿
Says QF staying open for other OW airlines. Must be making more $ from that than I thought!

Will be able to have decent food before stepping on the flight and nodding off. Food not that great in QF lounge there so ended up eating on board which cuts into your sleep time,and then youre landing. I do like the terminal food though and great tarmac views.

So happy for NZ!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.