Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Be aware Air NZ charges for a 24 hour hold without refund

Old Nov 30, 2017, 6:45 am
Original Poster

I held a reservation for 24 hours and the fee was high at $45. I later booked the ticket the same day and assumed the $45 would be credited to my visa card. The charge did not come off and Air New Zealand said that fee was not credited to the cost of the flight if purchased. Only if you cancel all together within 24 hours would you be given credit back to your card up to 10 days later. This makes no sense at all since a flyer is actually be penalized for booking the AZ flight as opposed to canceling it all together. Disappointed.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: NZ*E
I’m guessing you didn’t read the very clear terms and conditions on fare hold as it is exceptionally clear in there that the fee is not refundable or creditable:

Please note: the Fare Hold fee is not refundable (except in the case of fares to or from the US - see clause 7 of our terms and conditions below), it is not deducted from the final cost of your ticket, nor is it refunded if you elect not to proceed with the purchase of your fares.
That can be found through the “more information” link right beneath the fare hold info: https://www.airnewzealand.com.sg/far...721.1447888359
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 5:42 pm

This is made very clear when booking that the fee is non-refundable. In any case, there is basically an unwritten rule that they will cancel bookings within 24 hours for free which I have used a number of times (saves you the fee).
Old Dec 3, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by codyc1515
This is made very clear when booking that the fee is non-refundable. In any case, there is basically an unwritten rule that they will cancel bookings within 24 hours for free which I have used a number of times (saves you the fee).
That's actually a DOT rule. Flights originating or terminating in the United States can always be cancelled within 24 hours at no charge - some carriers simply apply it even to flights where the DOT rule doesn't apply.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:39 am

Not quite.... airlines have the choice for USA origin/desto flights to offer EITHER a hold ..OR 24 hour no charge cancellation.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by trooper
Not quite.... airlines have the choice for USA origin/desto flights to offer EITHER a hold ..OR 24 hour no charge cancellation.
Indeed, this was discussd recenty on the THAI board.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Fare holds and a 24hr refund policy are two very different things for most people though.

The reason Air NZ hold because it allows people to lock in a special for an oversees trip and have a few days then confirm it.

The 24hr policy is just really handy when you simply make mistakes or need to change plans for last minute flights

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.