Wiki Posts
Search

US Visa rules

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite, Qantas Platinum
US Visa rules

Going to Mexico over Christmas/New Years and for various complicated reasons relating to trying to use upgrades etc, the best thing to do is to book Auckland - LAX (or SFO) on Air NZ, enter the US and then fly on a separate ticket to Mexico, returning by entering the US and flying out on the return part of the Air NZ ticket.

All seems kosher, although I note this on the Air NZ website re the Visa Waiver programme:
"You cannot study or work on the Visa Waiver Program, nor extend your stay beyond 90 days. A return or onward ticket must be held, although the final destination may not be Canada, Mexico or in the Caribbean (unless you are a resident of that country or island)."

Anyone done like what we're thinking about doing? Possible?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Originally Posted by newtestleper
Going to Mexico over Christmas/New Years and for various complicated reasons relating to trying to use upgrades etc, the best thing to do is to book Auckland - LAX (or SFO) on Air NZ, enter the US and then fly on a separate ticket to Mexico, returning by entering the US and flying out on the return part of the Air NZ ticket.

All seems kosher, although I note this on the Air NZ website re the Visa Waiver programme:
"You cannot study or work on the Visa Waiver Program, nor extend your stay beyond 90 days. A return or onward ticket must be held, although the final destination may not be Canada, Mexico or in the Caribbean (unless you are a resident of that country or island)."

Anyone done like what we're thinking about doing? Possible?
I have this year flown in to Houston, out of LAX on Air NZ and tripped extensively between the arrival and departure dates on other tickets. Just need an arrival and departure from the USA in 90 days . . .
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
You have a return ticket to New Zealand on NZ, this is a non issue.

Travel to Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean doesn't reset the VWP 90 day clock, hence that wording.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 11:56 pm

As above...you can fly wherever you like to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean (well..,maybe not Cuba?!!!), but it does NOT reset the 90 day clock.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
The wording is confusing, but the point of it is the (foolish) US rule that remaining within the WHTI zone (US, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean) counts against your 90 day US time and doesn't count for your having a ticket to leave the US within the limited period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.