Wiki Posts
Search

elite upgrades on shared flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
elite upgrades on shared flight

Just looking at some of those specials on the NZ site today. Some to SFO say it's an NZ/United flight which is much cheaper than a straight NZ flight. Does anyone know if the NZ/United flights are eligible for the Elite standby upgrades?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 5:02 pm

NZ website says that "Elite Airpoint Dollar Upgrades are only available on NZ operated and ticketed flights"

When are you planning to travel? The cheapest fares Ive seen (Y at 999/PE at 2500) have been all NZ metal....

Last edited by trooper; Nov 23, 2017 at 5:08 pm
Old Nov 23, 2017, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Planning January. The fares WLG-SFO today were $499 going over on NZ and then $663 SFO-WLG but on NZ/United. Anyway the rest of the fares were very expensive early in January, understandably. I couldn't get anything to work anyway so have left it. Just wondering if the flight centre or helloworld offerings today are on NZ metal both ways. You have to ring them up to get details though and then you get the hardsell.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Sorry got confused there, there are some cheaper return flights being advertised via the travel agents. But then when you go on the NZ site they are advertising for $499 but it's one way - always catches me out looking at those one way prices, the return flight is always double that :-(

Maybe I'll go and check out with Flight Centre what they're offering. The dates for the specials on Helloworld don't look very workable.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:46 pm

LOL...I would never expect a return trip to the US to be that cheap...absent real fat finger fare... but that 999 is almost as low as it has been in living memory....from Oz anyway!
Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
The US -> NZ flights aren't double - it's just that if you look at the availability dates in the email there is only a small overlap period where flights are cheap both ways.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:52 pm

But to answer the actual question, NZ RU/APD/OneUp upgrades are only on NZ metal.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Yes lots of ifs and buts with those current offers and very restrictive dates. Went in to flight centre and got a quote for what I really wanted to do and it came in at $2800 on NZ. So will leave that idea.

Probably left it a bit late for January. There were cheap nz-us fares for $1400 on offer earlier in the year but not ready at that time to commit.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:19 pm

You can't expect to fly in early January to the US. It's (super) peak season.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle
You can't expect to fly in early January to the US. It's (super) peak season.
Was worth a shot, stranger things have happened lately with NZ fares. I was looking more from mid January onwards actually.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:50 pm

16th Dec to 19th Jan has its own special pricing - basically the cheap fare classes don't exist and all others have an increase over the rest of the year.

I paid nearly $2600 return to fly to the US during that period coming up. Had the bonus of RU's and APD upgrades clearing when I booked which is good.

Lots​​​Lots of flights already have full premium cabins and very limited economy availability since it's the busiest time of the whole year for travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.