Is it the end of the FQTV/FQTS entry fields?

Old Nov 20, 17, 2:46 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 354
Originally Posted by johnnyfive View Post
The ease of having all my info plus app updates is why I use my NZ number as well when booking a paid ticket.

Did they offer to change your FF number all together for benefits and earn? Or did they say this was not possible either?

When flying with US airlines I have used one FF number for lounge access and then changed it to another at the gate for earn. Not something I'm recommending, but if NZ are trying to prevent this sort of thing then I would be very cautious of making any bookings with my Airpoints login all together.
They got somewhat awkward about changing to a non AirNZ number given the flight was booked as a Flexitime flyer, and I didn't push it as it was only a short domestic hop and I didn't really need any *G perks. I'm pretty sure they would normally be able to change - but the key thing was only having one FF number against the booking.
ukflyer1 is offline  
Old Nov 20, 17, 2:48 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: AKL
Programs: NZ Elite, QF Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Posts: 1,516
Like others I've never had issues using the Premium team or lounge agents to sort out FQTS/FQTV when I wanted to accrue APD/SP but use TK*G for status. The only time I ran into problems were:

1. When I'd purchased a flight using APD
2. When trying to have this done by the third party call centre agents in the standard call centre who would either refuse to do it citing T&C's of only accruing to 1 program (as they didn't truly understand) or saying they'd done it but really doing nothing.

NZ shouldn't really have a problem with it, as if you are using another Star Gold status for lounge access then they can bill that airline. Be interesting to see what happens and what other reports people have trying to use it. If the agent tries to do it in NZ's newer system it's much more difficult then using typed commands in the Carina system.
NZ_Flyer is offline  
Old Nov 20, 17, 12:21 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: BNE
Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Posts: 533
Originally Posted by ukflyer1 View Post
Sounds good.
Is there a way to get the extra baggage and priority seating without having the *G number associated with the booking?
Negative.
kyanar is offline  
Old Nov 21, 17, 7:53 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: PPQ/WLG/BKK
Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Posts: 7,216
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer View Post
Like others I've never had issues using the Premium team or lounge agents to sort out FQTS/FQTV when I wanted to accrue APD/SP but use TK*G for status. The only time I ran into problems were:

1. When I'd purchased a flight using APD
2. When trying to have this done by the third party call centre agents in the standard call centre who would either refuse to do it citing T&C's of only accruing to 1 program (as they didn't truly understand) or saying they'd done it but really doing nothing.

NZ shouldn't really have a problem with it, as if you are using another Star Gold status for lounge access then they can bill that airline. Be interesting to see what happens and what other reports people have trying to use it. If the agent tries to do it in NZ's newer system it's much more difficult then using typed commands in the Carina system.
Data point. I called NZ recently and asked for my TG*G to be entered into FQTS and to ensure my AP# was in FQTV. First agent (non-premium) said it could not be done and that he had never heard of this.

I provided succint instructions and asked him to relay these to a supervisor. He came back after a while saying "you learn something everyday" andnthat itnhad been done. I didn't offer my opinion that it seemed more to be inadequate training.
Thai-Kiwi is offline  
Old Nov 25, 17, 4:00 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SYD
Programs: OZ*G, VA gold, NZ*G, QF bronze, Former 'bottom-feeder' AC*G
Posts: 5,011
In my experience it's always been a crapshoot when asking to use FQTS/FQTV, as you frequently find agents who don't understand the fields or what you're asking, or who are convinced you are trying to double dip by earning on two different FFPs simultaneously. Based on Thai-Kiwi's comment above it sounds like it is still possible to use these fields, provided the ticket wasn't bought using AirPoints - can anyone else confirm that?

I'm more concerned about the lounge access issue - is it no longer possible to get in by showing a physical card in your name, even though it's not entered into the booking? If so that's a significant step backwards. Makes you wonder whether its more about trying to automate everything and remove ability for individual staff members to have any discretion rather than being a conscious policy change to tighten up on specific passenger behaviour.
mad_atta is offline  
Old Nov 26, 17, 3:03 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 354
Bit of an update based on recent domestic travel.
Airport based staff members can still use the FQTS/FQTV fields - and add a *G number for status whilst leaving AirNZ number for accrual. The understanding of how to do this is still low. However, a supervisor mentioned that "is this what we have been asked to stop doing" whilst showing a junior member the typed codes to enter. So, system still allows it, but it may be that it is not meant to be done.
Yes it was possible to enter the lounge by showing a physical card with name on, not linked to booking.
ukflyer1 is offline  
Old Nov 27, 17, 2:47 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 49
Is the recent introduction of the ability to change FFP programmes & numbers through the online booking management tool a viable workaround to this?

One can simply:
1) make a booking with a FFP # that has status
2) enter the lounge
3) change the FFP info through the online reservation system to another programme whilst in the lounge
4) refresh the boarding pass
5) have the points/miles going to the new FFP account

Am I wrong? Any personal experiences of the above succeeding/failing?
akl_cat is offline  
Old Nov 27, 17, 3:05 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SYD
Programs: OZ*G, VA gold, NZ*G, QF bronze, Former 'bottom-feeder' AC*G
Posts: 5,011
Originally Posted by ukflyer1 View Post
Bit of an update based on recent domestic travel.
Airport based staff members can still use the FQTS/FQTV fields - and add a *G number for status whilst leaving AirNZ number for accrual. The understanding of how to do this is still low. However, a supervisor mentioned that "is this what we have been asked to stop doing" whilst showing a junior member the typed codes to enter. So, system still allows it, but it may be that it is not meant to be done.
Yes it was possible to enter the lounge by showing a physical card with name on, not linked to booking.
That's good news, at least
mad_atta is offline  
Old Nov 27, 17, 3:27 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: BNE
Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Posts: 533
Originally Posted by mad_atta View Post
I'm more concerned about the lounge access issue - is it no longer possible to get in by showing a physical card in your name, even though it's not entered into the booking? If so that's a significant step backwards. Makes you wonder whether its more about trying to automate everything and remove ability for individual staff members to have any discretion rather than being a conscious policy change to tighten up on specific passenger behaviour.
They can't stop that, it's Star Alliance policy that a physical card is an entry pass as long as you hold *G and are flying on an international itinerary leaving the same day from the same airport on a *A carrier. Note that I'm not sure that you'll get domestic lounge access this way, so brush off your Amex or PP card.
kyanar is offline  
Old Nov 27, 17, 4:20 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 354
Originally Posted by kyanar View Post
They can't stop that, it's Star Alliance policy that a physical card is an entry pass as long as you hold *G and are flying on an international itinerary leaving the same day from the same airport on a *A carrier. Note that I'm not sure that you'll get domestic lounge access this way, so brush off your Amex or PP card.
I'm not sure how AMEX or PP would help in the NZ Domestic situation?
ukflyer1 is offline  
Old Nov 27, 17, 5:01 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Posts: 3,069
Originally Posted by kyanar View Post
They can't stop that, it's Star Alliance policy that a physical card is an entry pass as long as you hold *G and are flying on an international itinerary leaving the same day from the same airport on a *A carrier. Note that I'm not sure that you'll get domestic lounge access this way, so brush off your Amex or PP card.
Lounge access only for international itinerary is a SkyTeam policy. In *A, it doesn't make a difference.
Xiaotung is offline  
Old Nov 27, 17, 10:23 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: BNE
Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Posts: 533
Originally Posted by ukflyer1 View Post
I'm not sure how AMEX or PP would help in the NZ Domestic situation?
Depends if you're flying to a regional airport. In AKL/WLG/CHC/ZQN(?) I'd expect there's a Priority Pass lounge. Occurs to me in retrospect that NZ has no Centurion Lounges ... yet.
kyanar is offline  
Old Nov 27, 17, 10:53 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 4,405
Originally Posted by kyanar View Post
Depends if you're flying to a regional airport. In AKL/WLG/CHC/ZQN(?) I'd expect there's a Priority Pass lounge. Occurs to me in retrospect that NZ has no Centurion Lounges ... yet.
PP lounges are in AKL, CHC and ZQN. All are only accessible for international flights.
sbiddle is offline  
Old Nov 28, 17, 6:22 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SYD
Programs: VA WP, NZ G, CI Em, QF G
Posts: 354
back to the OP's original post, there have also been lots of changes at the start of November related to the trans-tasman alliance between VA and NZ - and as you'd expect, there are clearly some configuration mismatches. Particularly if you booked before Nov 1. My flight last week had their system hitting me with $345 for 2 bags, despite being VA platinum, yet my booking in VA's system showed 3 bags included.

I'd also caution against using the Airpoints app for flight notices if you're not crediting the flight to airpoints - it seems very aggressive in changing the associated number from the VA number which it has at the start of the booking when I pick my seats, to the AP number when I go to check-in for the flight. Every time. I'd advise not using the app at all/deleting it if you're ever making use of FQTV/FQTS to earn into the non NZ program.
quick_dry is offline  
Old Nov 28, 17, 11:38 am
  #30  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: VA Plat, NZ Jade
Posts: 309
Originally Posted by quick_dry View Post
back to the OP's original post, there have also been lots of changes at the start of November related to the trans-tasman alliance between VA and NZ - and as you'd expect, there are clearly some configuration mismatches. Particularly if you booked before Nov 1. My flight last week had their system hitting me with $345 for 2 bags, despite being VA platinum, yet my booking in VA's system showed 3 bags included.

I'd also caution against using the Airpoints app for flight notices if you're not crediting the flight to airpoints - it seems very aggressive in changing the associated number from the VA number which it has at the start of the booking when I pick my seats, to the AP number when I go to check-in for the flight. Every time. I'd advise not using the app at all/deleting it if you're ever making use of FQTV/FQTS to earn into the non NZ program.
Thanks for the replies team!

I am aware about the alliance changes to earn and benefits on non domestic and tasman routes changed in Nov. Have any other alliance changes that would affect domestic flying been published?

What I found interesting is that the same lounge agents who have done FQTV/FQTS fields in the past were not able to at that time. That's why I wondered if something had changed in the backend of the system. Perhaps a slight change in the way it's entered that some agents haven't learned yet. I also wondered if the NZ App is an anchor to my AP. As I mentioned I entered my VA number at check-in via the App. This allowed me to select premium seats and get extra baggage. Once I got to bag drop my BP showed my AP number. This might also be due to the fact that I paid with APs. Which was confirmed later by the lounge agent as she couldn't even delete my AP number from the booking! Is there any way to get rid of revenue bookings once they're in your AP account?
johnnyfive is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread