Original Poster

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
Long International-to-Domestic Connection in AKL

Thank you very much in advance!

I will have a long connection in Auckland:

- Arriving on NZ international flight in early AM
- Then 10+ hour layover
- Finally departing to Christchurch on NZ mainline in early evening

1. Assuming my bags will be checked through, after clearing customs, can I drop my bags in International Terminal, despite my domestic connection is 10+ hours later?

2. Can I access NZ Domestic Lounge in the morning with a boarding pass for a flight in the afternoon? (I understand there's a 4-hour rule, but wonder if it's enforced, esp. for connecting passengers - would like to take a shower but there's no arrival lounge in International Terminal.)

3. If I yes to lounge access in the morning, after shower, can I leave Domestic Terminal to tour Auckland, then come back again in the evening?

* Understand there's a prior discussion on lounge access during long Intl-to-Intl layover but think Intl-to-Domestic is quite different.

Thanks!

Last edited by bdw1120; Nov 13, 17 at 5:04 pm
Old Nov 13, 17, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by bdw1120 View Post
2. Can I access NZ Domestic Lounge in the morning with a boarding pass for a flight in the afternoon? (I understand there's a 4-hour rule, but wonder if it's enforced, esp. for connecting passengers - would like to take a shower but there's no arrival lounge in International Terminal.)
Yes. Just scan your domestic boarding pass to enter.

3. If I yes to lounge access in the morning, after shower, can I leave Domestic Terminal to tour Auckland, then come back again in the evening?
Yes. Departing and arriving pax mingle airside at domestic. Just follow the path back out landside after you shower.

No doubt someone will be along to answer question 1 shortly...
Old Nov 13, 17, 11:36 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Diamond
Two points. domestic can check bags in any time pre departure that day. I often leave bags at airport at ZQN at 7am for a 2pm flight whilst I go to work. Saves schlepping it round.

Whenever I transfer INTL to DOM I carry/wheel bags to DOM. Maybe you can check them back in at INTL but I am so eager to stretch my legs I just walk the green line

I've always managed to change the Domestic flight earlier or later by asking either at the lounge or the help desk at domestic. If the two flights are on the same ticket I'd do that (another reason to physically take bags to domestic). Odd they've scheduled them far apart.

H
Old Nov 14, 17, 12:40 am

Programs: Air NZ*GE
Just to corroborate H, Ive always been accommodated on an earlier flight when arriving from overseas and connecting through to Welly, eve if half and hour. I gun it straight to domestic and ask them at the desk then bag drop with the new deets.

Not it sure you can drop at international for a domestic but I wouldnt want to risk an extra step for them to get lost myself!
Old Nov 14, 17, 12:59 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Firstly a few things here -

Bag drop has always existed at the international terminal for domestic connections. You have to drop bags at least 60 mins before the flight. This used to be a dedicated domestic transfer counter that could do changes but now it's just the normal bag drop area. Having said that I always push my bags to domestic because it's a lot easier to drop them there.

A domestic add-on on the same PNR (it must be the correct domestic add-on fare using the correct fare basis and V,H or Y booking class) is a flexi ticket and can be changed on the day. I routinely do this. If it is a domestic ticket that's not booked as an add-on they probably won't change it for you.

There are some really strange connection times happening since Air NZ moved to married fares, my flight back from LAX in Jan has something like 4 1/2 hours before my flight to WLG.
Old Nov 14, 17, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
Thank you very much for the useful information!

I actually booked the long connection on purpose hoping to spend the day in Auckland before continuing to Christchurch.

I just found there's a shower facility at International Terminal (how convenient! ^) - I guess I'll just drop my bags at International Terminal (if I can) and take a shower there then.

Thanks again!
Old Nov 14, 17, 3:03 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Sorry that is probably something you can't do, as there is no international lounge access in Auckland for arriving passengers. You will have to stick to your original plan and shower at the domestic lounge.

However seeing that you no longer need to stay in Auckland for the day, you could see if you can leave for ChCh earlier. AirNZ have flights between AKL and CHC at least hourly during the day.
Old Nov 14, 17, 3:48 pm

Programs: NZ Koru, Silver
Originally Posted by zoovet View Post
Sorry that is probably something you can't do, as there is no international lounge access in Auckland for arriving passengers. You will have to stick to your original plan and shower at the domestic lounge.
There are showers available for arriving international passengers once they are landside. From Auckland International Airport website (link cited above):

Showers facilities are available for passengers free of charge just outside the international arrivals gate. Towels and bathroom essentials are available to buy from Relay and iSite Tourism Information Centre. Both sites are situated on the ground floor arrivals in the international terminal.
Old Nov 16, 17, 11:59 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E
Originally Posted by SilverTP View Post
There are showers available for arriving international passengers once they are landside. From Auckland International Airport website (link cited above):
I think by no showers on arrival they were referring to a Air NZ lounge.

of course the OP could go to domestic, through security to the Dom lounge, have a shower and then exit the lounge via the 'regional flights' exit and head in to town, if they were desperate for a shower in the Air NZ lounge.
Old Dec 30, 17, 11:48 pm

Programs: M&M SEN
Hi everyone !

I will visit NZ next april and I will arrive on a Thai Airways flight to AKL. I will travel the same day on a separate ticket on ANZ to ZQN. I would like to know which lounge can I go in AKL. I will fly in Y on the domestic sector but I'm a *A Gold (Miles & More) and am I allowed to bring a guest with me inside the lounge ?

Thanks for your replies
Old Dec 31, 17, 12:56 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Hi everyone !

I will visit NZ next april and I will arrive on a Thai Airways flight to AKL. I will travel the same day on a separate ticket on ANZ to ZQN. I would like to know which lounge can I go in AKL. I will fly in Y on the domestic sector but I'm a *A Gold (Miles & More) and am I allowed to bring a guest with me inside the lounge ?

Thanks for your replies
You will have access to the main Domesitc Lounge, located next to the domestic jet gates. Guest access is as per standard *G policies so yes.
Old Dec 31, 17, 1:21 am

Programs: M&M SEN
Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post

You will have access to the main Domesitc Lounge, located next to the domestic jet gates. Guest access is as per standard *G policies so yes.
Thank you for your quick answer !
Old Jan 7, 19, 9:23 am

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
I will be coming in on UA arriving around 9a, has a ANZ domestic connecting at 1105a. Is it cutting too close?
Old Jan 7, 19, 11:01 am

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by DFWFairy View Post
I will be coming in on UA arriving around 9a, has a ANZ domestic connecting at 1105a. Is it cutting too close?
If all on one ticket, itll be ok since if you are held up dduring immigration or customs, then Air NZ will put you on a later flight.

However, if the domestic sector is on a separate ticket, I usually give myself minimum 3 hours and/or buy a fare that allows same days changes for free - FlexiDate and FlexiTime. These fares are available on the local airnewzealand.co.nz website
Old Jan 13, 19, 11:54 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
If all on one ticket, it’ll be ok since if you are held up dduring immigration or customs, then Air NZ will put you on a later flight.

However, if the domestic sector is on a separate ticket, I usually give myself minimum 3 hours and/or buy a fare that allows same days changes for free - FlexiDate and FlexiTime. These fares are available on the local airnewzealand.co.nz website
I'll be connecting international-domestic (SYD-AKL,AKL-WLG) on a separate ticket. Assuming I have 3 hours, if I show up early enough would they put you on the flight an hour earlier? I assume "Seat" only fare would not give you such privilege even with *A Gold.

Lastly, does "Seat" only fare provide 1 free checked bag with *A Gold?

Search this Thread