Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Compensation for downgrade after birdstrike?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation for downgrade after birdstrike?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
I look forward to the answer to the OP's challenge.
Have nearly exactly the same issue right now with a work Colleague who missed his SFO - AKL flight due to engine issues on the United connecting flight into SFO. He flew the next day in economy due to all premium seats being sold out.
All ticketed on NZ stock.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air New Zealand Gold
Hi all

Thanks for all the advice and thoughts.

Just to clarify, she was never offered a PE seat on another itinerary. Air NZ told her that PE was full on her new flight but they had a business seat held for her and they just needed United to approve it. Which they wouldn't do.

As someone indicated might happen above, the final insult was for Air NZ to apportion Airpoints and SCs at the economy rate.

So we do want to make a complaint with the ultimate goal being two outcomes really.

1. Confirmation of whether they they will refund the fare difference or whether we will need to pursue with travel insurance
2. An amendment to her Airpoints and SC balance to so they reflect the fare she booked and paid for rather than where she was forced to sit.

So I was just wanting to know the best way to get a response on this from the airline. She's quite frankly sick of speaking to them on the phone but could call again. Or is there a complaints email that people here have has success with?

Last edited by kiwisflying; Oct 29, 2017 at 5:14 pm Reason: Typo
Old Oct 29, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Either United or Air NZ is required to refund her. As she was ticketed by Air NZ, I'm guessing that it's on them. They accepted her money for PE, then did not provide it to her.

The contract for carriage for both carriers says that's a pro-rated refund, and even if they didn't the Fair Trading Act would have something to say about that and I would recommend pursuing a refund through the Disputes Tribunal and/or filing a USDOT complaint as the flight originated in the United States.

If you want to complain at AirNZ without actually speaking to a human on the phone, you can use this article to find the link to the complaints form (the link looks like it might be personalised).

Also, go over their heads. This site helpfully provides executive emails for people who have direct responsibility for customer service outcomes.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air New Zealand Gold
Right, so an update with the response from Air NZ.

Kudos to them, while they weren't at all helpful during the disruption they have come to the party afterwards. They've agreed to refund the difference in fares and to adjust her Airpoints and SC balances to reflect a PE fare.

So, notwithstanding that it would have been better to get it right the first time, it's a good result in the end.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I am wondering if part of the problem on the part of UA is that UA does not have the concept of Premium Economy - they have E and E+ (which is no where near NZ PE). So this is why UA did not approve J because they said E = E=/E-

Although I am confused if there was a J seat available someone was not UG so that the PE opened up?

Very glad to read that NZ did the right thing in the end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.