Elite Xmas Gift

Old Oct 26, 17, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*S, GHA Gold
Elite Xmas Gift

From the Airpoints Update email:

In past years, we have sent gifts to our Elite members at Christmas, but because it is difficult to cater to differing tastes and preferences, each year we receive mixed feedback. One of the most common suggestions is that we use the money spent on gifts to instead support youth or charities. So, taking this feedback on board, this year we will use those funds to give even more Kiwi kids the means to realise their dreams through a greater Air New Zealand contribution to the Airpoints for Schools programme.

We are now inviting New Zealand schools to apply for the 2018 Airpoints for Schools programme, with donations opening early next year. If you know a school that you feel may benefit from this extraordinary opportunity, please encourage them to apply before 3 November.
More info at - https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/airpoints-for-schools
Old Oct 26, 17, 1:37 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
This is the most lame excuse for not giving Elite gifts this year I can think of and they used it.
Old Oct 26, 17, 1:38 am

Programs: NZ: ELT; CX: *G
We need to find the people providing the mixed feedback and get them to recant. I for one would like both the gift, and for Air NZ to demonstrate more CSR.

In any case, NZ is an OECD country, and enjoys one of the best educational systems in the world (*the* best if you ask the Economist Intelligence Unit).

So if this does indeed mean no Christmas gift, I'm calling bol*ocks on this and see this as yet another dilution of the loyalty programme. Although it's good to see Wellington parking returning shortly.
Old Oct 26, 17, 2:00 am

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Maybe we could all start up a school? 🙂
Old Oct 26, 17, 2:15 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
What the actual f*?

So the response for receiving feedback (positive and negative) meant that they did away without it?

Imagine if they took the same approach if they actioned most discussion items in this forum. I am livid on the fact there is no option to even decide how the disbursements are made.

And Mark Street didn't even have the heart to sign off on this topic instead opting for a generic Airpoints update rather than an Elite mailer

Last edited by dadig; Oct 26, 17 at 2:56 am
Old Oct 26, 17, 2:21 am

Programs: NZ*E, EK Blue, QF Gold
Nooooooo.

I'm into my final banked year of Elite and am unlikely to ever reach that level again due to a change of career that involves much less travel.

I attained Elite the year after they stopped offering the Bose noise-cancelling headphones. Been hoping that one day they would make a return. Now that hope has been truly smothered.
Old Oct 26, 17, 2:48 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
So the erosion of elite benefits continues
Old Oct 26, 17, 3:29 am

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
I'm lost for words.

Offering a gift isn't about offering the most expensive or the flashest. IMHO it's simply about receiving something to thank me for the $20k or so that they have got from me this year.

Not getting a $30 bottle of wine may be considered a 1st world problem by many but it just reinforces their attitude towards their customers.
Old Oct 26, 17, 3:48 am

Programs: NZ *G
What a crock. This is just another way of NZ saving money by devaluing Elite benefits. The gift may be naff some years, but I am always grateful for it and, like sbiddle, see it as a tangible thank you for the five figure spend I make with NZ. Sigh....
Old Oct 26, 17, 4:12 am

Programs: NZ *E
Thumbs down Bad move!

Why can we not have a choice like in previous years?
I was happy with my shorthaul recognition upgrade, they could still offer those??
Really this is pretty bad!
Come on Air NZ :

I would like to know more about their feedback!

I would like a Xmas thank you gift
Old Oct 26, 17, 4:29 am

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, CX Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador, 1865 Voyager, HHonors Gold
What a load of s**t.

I get the whole "Xmas gift is not a published benefit" thing but this is beyond a joke. The whole point of the Xmas gift is to show a little appreciation for your most valuable customers at a special time of year.
Old Oct 26, 17, 1:03 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), KLM FB S, QF S, Avancia Gold
that's the excuse that I get from one of our major suppliers.
Old Oct 26, 17, 1:34 pm

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite
This airline is becoming a joke.

The only thing keeping me on it is Elite Upgrades.

When that goes, I go.
Old Oct 26, 17, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*S, GHA Gold
Originally Posted by Xiaotung View Post
This is the most lame excuse for not giving Elite gifts this year I can think of and they used it.
By the same logic, fare increases will be met by "mixed feedback" but they don't cancel them.

For a lot of people who qualify for Elite status via flying they have a choice in which airline(s) they use. This could potentially cost Air NZ more than they have saved through this choice.
Old Oct 26, 17, 2:15 pm

Programs: Airpoints Elite
Originally Posted by ruff00 View Post

The only thing keeping me on it is Elite Upgrades.

When that goes, I go.
+1 on that, it's the sole thing that keeps me flying with them. Losing Elite / or a reduction in upgrade availability will send me packing!

And yes I don't buy the charity thing, sounds like a cost cutting measure. They're not substitutes, if you want to up your charitable work then do that, but not at the expense of your most loyal customers, especially during a time of very high profits.

Search this Thread