Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite Xmas Gift

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by JayKiwi
Couldn't say it any better than these quotes. Everyone's upset here has zero to do with charitable conscience - charitable giving is one of the most personal decisions someone can make. It is actually more offensive to make a giving decision on behalf of everyone, than to make a call on some wine or a food hamper, which might not be to everyone's preference.
Exactly, and by all means provide a charity option as a gift, but this whole things reeks.

I requalified this year for GE within about 5 weeks and will have my banked year in a few weeks time.

Aside from domestics flights, i will now focus on OneWorld and when Star Alliance look to qualify for PPS Club with SQ.

I have also just booked my next flights to China on China Southern, about 60% of the business class price of Air NZ, one stop from Christchurch to my destination and better timings. Figure I might as well get top status on Skyteam.

This kind of insulting attitude to their best customers, added to horribly crowded lounges, cramped seats on 787, nickel and diming on making every phone call a negotiation on whether a fee should be charged, terrible earning rates, poor flight options out of Christchurch, mean I cant see why i should aim to go a AP$ above banked year.

So while not quite "see ya" this will cost Air NZ at least from me possibly 50K revenue this year

As a case in point, I have a 5 hour layover in Sydney end of this week connecting from a Malaysian Airlines flight and chose QF, at least i get to spend it in the First Class lounge.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Aside from domestics flights, i will now focus on OneWorld and when Star Alliance look to qualify for PPS Club with SQ.

I have also just booked my next flights to China on China Southern, about 60% of the business class price of Air NZ, one stop from Christchurch to my destination and better timings. Figure I might as well get top status on Skyteam
I don’t know whether the status match in the link below is still valid but it might be useful
https://www.ausbt.com.au/how-to-get-...s-status-match
Old Oct 29, 2017, 1:42 am

Programs: NZ*G
I cant say Im surprised by this move. It is consistent with what I have been saying about Air New Zealand's continual dilution of loyalty recognition and some aspects of their product.

Because loyalty runs both ways, Ive followed through on what I committed to doing late last year and I rewarded Air NZ for their lack of interest in me by taking three of my four trips to Europe this year on China Southern. They have provided a perfectly comfortable and professional service.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the Air NZ experience overall, but I decided maintaining Elite status just no longer provides a feeling of my loyalty being important to them. I'll use Air NZ when it suits me and chase better value fares when it doesn't, since there is little other advantage. I'll drop to and maintain gold next year - Im deeming this strategy as "just loyal enough" to get enough benefit for myself.

I also think its interesting to note that they don't appear to track travel patterns of of their HVCs and when there are noticeable drop offs of utilisation, contact them to hear their views. Most other service oriented businesses would do this.

In any case, I doubt Mr Street will listen to concerns directly. If you all really want to get Air NZ Management's attention - spread your business. Let them see HVCs are unhappy through their balance sheet.

Last edited by RSkipage; Oct 29, 2017 at 1:57 am Reason: spelling
Old Oct 29, 2017, 2:39 am

Programs: NZ *G
I think that point about not tracking HVCs in any detail is right. I'm far from a HVC but have still managed to do enough flying for Elite status in 7 of the last 8 years. The one year I didn't requalify I couldn't fly for four months. That should have been obvious from my flight history. I got a call from the Premium team a couple of weeks before my requalification year expired, to tell me I hadn't re-qualified and express disappointment for me. I explained that I knew I wouldn't re-qualify but hadn't flown enough. The staffer asked if there was anything they could do to help. I thought hey, great service, yes, so started to explain the blip in my usual flying pattern. Bad idea. All the staff member was actually offering was to book me lots of J travel (at my cost) to quickly get the status points I needed.

Moral of the story? It appears NZ only tracks travel by Elites by reference to milestones. Beyond that, from what I've seen NZ doesn't care or want to encourage additional customer loyalty.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Please, Air NZ, feel free to take the one airpoint you took off regional flying (down to one from two airpoints) and donate to your worthy cause. You can also donate the four status points you took from my earning this year (down from 8 to 4), too.
My current 120 NZ regional flights per year do not qualify me for elite status anymore (though I manage to top it up from other flying) but earn me the princely airpoint sum of $120 - about the cost of a one way regional fare.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Air NZ lowly Jade now, Emirates
wow, I am never going to be elite or even likely to get back to silver lately but I think this idea has a certain whiff about it. I dont like it when people make charitable decisions on my behalf. I will make my choices about those sorts of things thanks very much and they arent about giving money to schools.

And who the hell are the people moaning about getting a gift. None on here.

I suspect this is why I pretty much discounted the loyalty factor a while ago in flight decisions. In the past I would have probably paid a bit of a premium to fly ANZ but now I'll fly with who has the best overall deal (which might be cost, service, times, plane type, seat etc)
Old Oct 29, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by drajknox
I don’t know whether the status match in the link below is still valid but it might be useful
https://www.ausbt.com.au/how-to-get-...s-status-match
Thanks thats super helpful I will give this a go
Old Oct 29, 2017, 5:58 pm

From the Airpoints Update email:

In past years, we have sent gifts to our Elite members at Christmas, but because it is difficult to cater to differing tastes and preferences, each year we receive mixed feedback. One of the most common suggestions is that we use the money spent on gifts to instead support youth or charities. So, taking this feedback on board, this year we will use those funds to give even more Kiwi kids the means to realise their dreams through a greater Air New Zealand contribution to the Airpoints for Schools programme.

We are now inviting New Zealand schools to apply for the 2018 Airpoints for Schools programme, with donations opening early next year. If you know a school that you feel may benefit from this extraordinary opportunity, please encourage them to apply before 3 November.
In past years, we have sent gifts to our Elite members at Christmas, but because it is difficult to cater to differing tastes and preferences, each year we receive mixed feedback.
You are confusing "mixed feedback" with complaints from FF about the diminishing value of the gift.

One of the most common suggestions is that we use the money spent on gifts to instead support youth or charities.
"Common" really? From who? Are you mixing up suggestions from FF with ones from C Luxon?

So, taking this feedback on board, this year we will use those funds to give even more Kiwi kids the means to realise their dreams through a greater Air New Zealand contribution to the Airpoints for Schools programme.
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/airp...r-schools-2016
Wait a minute! This is something you were already doing anyway. So you have now decided to fund it using the budget from Elite Gifts.

or maybe it was to
- increase shareholder bottom line
- stave off another reduction in inflight catering
- produce another polarising inflight safety video
<insert your favorite here>
Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: NZ*E
And don't forget the tax refund

One thing that always puts me off donating through a separate business firm is the thought that if it does send the money to a charity it can claim the 33% tax refund though the IRD. Hence even if AirNZ actually donates the value of all the elite gifts to charity, they will immediately be able to claim a third of it back from the IRD (this is OUR tax remember) as a donation claim. The sort of donation that is a win:win for AirNZ!
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:56 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zoovet
One thing that always puts me off donating through a separate business firm is the thought that if it does send the money to a charity it can claim the 33% tax refund though the IRD. Hence even if AirNZ actually donates the value of all the elite gifts to charity, they will immediately be able to claim a third of it back from the IRD (this is OUR tax remember) as a donation claim. The sort of donation that is a win:win for AirNZ!
You are talking about the Tax Credit on Donations available to individual Tax Payers (IR526).

There are different rules for Companies around the treatment of Donations.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by WLG Base
You are talking about the Tax Credit on Donations available to individual Tax Payers (IR526).

There are different rules for Companies around the treatment of Donations.
Maybe we could all claim a tax credit since Air NZ have said they're donating on our behalf?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: NZ*G
Originally Posted by zoovet
Air NZ has already paid tax on the income it earned, subsequently donated and then claimed back. So yes there may be some benefit there.

But it isn't 'OUR' tax. There was never going to be a tax benefit to you unless you were going to pay income tax on the gift's value before donating it to a charity and claiming the tax deductible.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:17 pm

What actually holds them to any account that they actually donate the full value of the gifts as an incremental amount, and no one will know any way as it will just become part of the larger schools programme.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
I am sorry but I don't agree that sending school kids to some excursion trips is charity.

On the Airpoints for School page it says:

Thanks to the generosity of our Airpoints™ members, we are thrilled to announce that all schools that participated in this year's Airpoints for Schools programme have met their targets early.

Generosity of Airpoints members? This is actually done by reducing member earn rates and reducing member benefits. If NZ wants to do CSR, why does it have to be in the name of their FFP? The purpose of the FFP is to entice customer to fly with you. Some FFPs allow you to donate your miles but that's an individual choice. Doing it on behalf of your entire membership base is quite ridiculous and defeats the purpose of a loyalty programme.
poopbunny and kiwicyclo like this.

Last edited by Xiaotung; Oct 30, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Old Oct 30, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: *A NZ Gold Elite for over 20 years previously SQ PPS and UA 1K
Made a booking for next year

Combo Nz and Lh fare in business class $8500 to Europe and agent advised zero air points as P booking class. Zero for an $8500 spend. Cancelled booking. Loyalty counts.....yeah right. Nice to have plenty of other options😁

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.