Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Will more Seats become available upon Online Check In?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2017, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Hello,

For an upcoming LAX-AKL flight (Airpoints member without status), Advanced seat selection for that flight is extremely limited. For example, towards the front left side (rows 35-46, A-C) are all blacked out as "unavailable".

I was really hoping for a Window seat, but none is available currently, without paying for the Preferred Seats.

If I were to check in online very early (i.e. 24h before), do I expect a better seat availability?

Will calling the Air NZ now help, i.e. does the customer service agents have access to seats that are not currently available online?

Thanks again
Old Oct 21, 2017, 4:21 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Rows 35-46 A-C and H-K are Skycouch rows. Those won't become available to you at all unless the flight loadings are quite low, as they are flagged as "frequent flyer seating", which is to say only available with status.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 4:26 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
35-46 are all a combination of frequent flyer seating and Skycouch rows. You won't be able to select any of these.

You also need to remember seats ex LHR will be limited as people also join this flight at LAX.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Interesting I just checked in on line for my NZ28 flight today, was prompted to check or change my seats, normally I would not, I did check, the bulk head seats were available to me at no charge, so I grabbed the window one. See how it goes. Travelling in a party of 7 in PE . . should be entertaining.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:56 am

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Don't be stingy: pay for a pre-reserved seat. Once OLCI opens up you can swap it.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kyanar
Rows 35-46 A-C and H-K are Skycouch rows. Those won't become available to you at all unless the flight loadings are quite low, as they are flagged as "frequent flyer seating", which is to say only available with status.
Thanks! Do you mean it won't become available to me, both now AND when OLCI opens?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by chowinlondon
Thanks! Do you mean it won't become available to me, both now AND when OLCI opens?
Correct.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
And to clarify, when I say "unless the flight loadings are quite low" I mean that you may be randomly assigned one if you don't seat select, but you won't be able to select one yourself.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by kiwicyclo
Interesting I just checked in on line for my NZ28 flight today, was prompted to check or change my seats, normally I would not, I did check, the bulk head seats were available to me at no charge, so I grabbed the window one. See how it goes. Travelling in a party of 7 in PE . . should be entertaining.
The front row of PE is blocked off for airport control until 48hours, if they aren't needed when the flight is opened up for airport control they become released to Gold, Elite, Koru free of charge.

E.g. they are blocked off to allow the airport staff the ability to seat passengers that might require assitainces or for example of them to try seat an family together.

Only way would be to have Gold or above status with an *A airline, and have that membership number attached to the booking.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Speaking of seat selection, any possibility of getting either 4A or 5A on NZ2 from LAX-LHR tomorrow? I'd like a window seat if possible instead of a middle one but those two are "unavailable" on NZ's website and the only other remaining window seat is right in front of the PE cabin (where the possible noise/traffic is a bit concerning). No status, unfortunately, if that matters.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by tmiw
Speaking of seat selection, any possibility of getting either 4A or 5A on NZ2 from LAX-LHR tomorrow? I'd like a window seat if possible instead of a middle one but those two are "unavailable" on NZ's website and the only other remaining window seat is right in front of the PE cabin (where the possible noise/traffic is a bit concerning). No status, unfortunately, if that matters.
Looking at Expert Flyer, for NZ2 on 23 Oct, 4A and 5A appear blocked but unallocated. I expect these are being held back until load control goes to the ground staff at LAX so they have some clex for special care pax, separated families etc.

You could call Air NZ, try OLCI at earliest, or try physical check-in at the earliest opportunity.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Looking at Expert Flyer, for NZ2 on 23 Oct, 4A and 5A appear blocked but unallocated. I expect these are being held back until load control goes to the ground staff at LAX so they have some clex for special care pax, separated families etc.

You could call Air NZ, try OLCI at earliest, or try physical check-in at the earliest opportunity.
Thanks for your help! It's a United ticketed/booked award itinerary so I don't know how much help they'll be. If I get a chance I'll talk to the NZ gate agents at LAX once I get off my domestic flight.

Worst-case, 3J isn't bad. In fact, I even saw a blog post somewhere claiming that it was one of the better J seats on NZ's 777s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.