Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Personal experience with using Airpoints other than NZ flights rewards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Airpoints, Qantas FF

I gave up on Air NZ almost completely a couple years back, but I still got some small amount of APD left over from past flights or being a customer at certain shops. Does anyone have any experience with using APD on anything other than Air NZ flights rewards? I think I can use them to for Star Alliance flights rewards on Star website, use them to book Air NZ codeshare flights operated by another airline, or use them for non-flight rewards (which I'm 100% sure Qantas allows its Frequent Flyers to purchase non-flight rewards).

Which one is the best value in using up the leftover points? I don't have much, about 110 APD. And it is unlikely I will ever accumulate more than 50 again in the future.

Thanks.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: NZ*E
Realistically, with 110APD your only options are AirNZ flights (which you’ve already ruled out) or the Airpoimts store.

Any award fare is more than APD 200 + Tax & booking fee, even just to Australia: https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/airl...r-reward-chart

you’d be best off just grabbing a few bottles of wine (or similar) if you want to consume the last of your points, I haven’t personally used the AirNZ system but it should be fairly simple.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Could you join a shairpoints scheme with a family member who does fly, and let them have them?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Airpoints, Qantas FF
Thanks guys, funny enough my family fly a lot less than I do and they accumulate APD when they fly on partner airline (almost always CX on AKL-HKG), and have said I’m free to use their points.

I think with sharepoints I have about 380 APD in total. But with the bitter experience with Air NZ I’m reluctant to book award flights with them as much as practicable.

Last edited by nzworldtraveller1; Oct 19, 2017 at 3:26 am Reason: Proofread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.