Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

United award -- possible to change flight time on day of travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

I booked my ticket with United miles, connecting from an international flight on Thai to a domestic on AirNZ. There is a flight to my final destination at 55min after my international flight lands, but this presumably doesn't meet minimum connection times, and so I'm booked on the next flight at 2h55m after my international flight lands.

If I can get myself to the domestic check in counters with 30+ minutes to spare, is there any chance I'll be able to take the earlier flight?

Possibly (ir)relevant information: I have no *A status, will be in business class on the TG flight, and will be travelling on Christmas Day.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
All Air NZ sold tickets with a domestic connection on the same PNR give flexible fares for the domestic flights so these can be changed on the day at the airport.

I can only assume the same rules apply for a UA reward flight but certainly have no knowledge of whether this is correct or not.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:22 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I don't think awards have flexibility.

If TG flight is on time then very doubtful you could make domestic check-in early enough to change as need to disembark, possible bus if on stand, possible longish walk to immigration depending on gate, immigration, wait for luggage if any checked in, customs, 10 minute walk to domestic terminal (can't change flights at the domestic kiosks in the international terminal even on flexible fares), queue at service desk (because kiosk won't permit a change).

The only situation I can see where it might work is if the first flight is significantly delayed, not overly full, and the later flight is at risk of being cancelled. Even then it would not be guaranteed as relying on check in agent getting authority to make the change to the earlier flight (they don't have discretion so needs to be approved).
Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:16 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I didn't get on to the logistics of a 55 min connection but is worth pointing out that will be almost impossible to meet unless your flight arrived early.

Even a best case scenario of immigration, baggage claim and biosecurity is 20 mins and with a 8-9 min walk to the domestic terminal and the requirement to change the ticket manually at the counter you'll struggle to get them to put you on that flight with bags.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
NZ won't let you fly ahead with a ticket issued by another airline, period, unless due to operational reasons.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:51 pm

Last year I was travelling on a United award ticket with Thai & AirNZ BKK-AKL-CHC. When I booked the award the only AKL-CHC sector available was at 8pm (TG491 arrived at 11:45).

We decided to try our luck at the domestic ticket counter and although the person was initially skeptical they were able to switch us to the next flight down to Christchurch. Not sure if we got lucky or something else was at play.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Update, in case it's useful to others.
​​​My inbound TG flight was on time, and didn't use a bus gate. Because I was in J I was one of the first off the plane. I encountered no queue at the passport check, and I'd deliberately taken my bag as carry on. Because I was on a kiwi passport I didn't have to get my bag x rayed. I ended up outside the international terminal by 12:16, and after going the wrong way initially, ended up in line at domestic at 12:26. It was 12:30 by the time I got to the front of the line, and the person had to call a colleague to figure out how to do it, but...

I got on the 13:00 flight, with a checked bag.
jawnbc, trooper and therossinator like this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
I can corroborate that. Last month, I arrived into AKL on a United business award (no *G status) with a 8 hour layover until my domestic flight in economy to CHC (same PNR). The Premium Desk at the domestic terminal was (kindly) able to switch me to a flight departing 35 minutes after I got to that desk for no charge.

Originally Posted by sbiddle
All Air NZ sold tickets with a domestic connection on the same PNR give flexible fares for the domestic flights so these can be changed on the day at the airport.

I can only assume the same rules apply for a UA reward flight but certainly have no knowledge of whether this is correct or not.
therossinator likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.