Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The New PE class - no-one likes it

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Shamrock55

What does seem to vary a lot is the service from the crew. Some try and make it as close to BP as possible, others just do the bare minimum. I'll never forget my first ever PE experience in the 777 where the lady came and shook hands with all of us in PE at the end of the flight, and thanked us for our business. What a nice touch! I sent an email to Air NZ complementing her service and got a phone call thanking me in response.
Totally agree, along with the service level difference between the 789 and the 77W can be huge. With the 789 only having 21 PE seats it can make for an very good flight.

Almost wish with the 77W refit that they relocated the bathrooms and galley to half way down the PE cabin to provide to smaller PE cabins.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
CX has Europe fares for between $59XX-$6100 return in business right now (including LHR) - Air NZ PE is more expensive to LHR...
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Originally Posted by Rebound
CX has Europe fares for between $59XX-$6100 return in business right now (including LHR) - Air NZ PE is more expensive to LHR...
Yes, we are in the process of booking for April next year - CX in J is $6,196, SQ in J is $6,791, while NZ in PE is only a few hundred cheaper at $5,632 (and that's if you are careful with dates/flights!).

Although I do tend to factor in airpoints dollars which can then be used later which I treat as an effective discount of sorts that can be spent later so I don't mind paying a small margin more for NZ flights, but there comes a point where it isn't sensible, especially if paying for multiple travellers.

We have been quoted $4,629 for CX in PE, and $5,259 for NZ/CX.

We will be joining a tour for part of our trip and can get discount on Qatar but in economy so are waiting to see if that can extend to other classes (I don't think they have PE, just J).

Confusing ...... how I long for the days when I travelled internationally for business, and it was simply a case of giving our travel agent my dates and getting presented with tickets!
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:43 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ottiehund
Yes, we are in the process of booking for April next year - CX in J is $6,196, SQ in J is $6,791, while NZ in PE is only a few hundred cheaper at $5,632 (and that's if you are careful with dates/flights!).

Although I do tend to factor in airpoints dollars which can then be used later which I treat as an effective discount of sorts that can be spent later so I don't mind paying a small margin more for NZ flights, but there comes a point where it isn't sensible, especially if paying for multiple travellers.

We have been quoted $4,629 for CX in PE, and $5,259 for NZ/CX.

We will be joining a tour for part of our trip and can get discount on Qatar but in economy so are waiting to see if that can extend to other classes (I don't think they have PE, just J).

Confusing ...... how I long for the days when I travelled internationally for business, and it was simply a case of giving our travel agent my dates and getting presented with tickets!
Would you get Gold status with one return trip on CX J?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Beano
Nope. Depending on fare class, the earn is either 360 (D/I) or 420 (J/C), but 600 needed for Marco Polo Gold.

There are some lounge access benefits for MP Silver (300 required) it seems.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Oct 7, 2017 at 4:28 pm
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Instead of starting a new thread just hoping on this one -

For NZ1 and NZ2 (from LAX to LHR), in PE - I was going to pay more for the seats in front - can anyone tell me their experience with those seats? Better as you don't need to disturb anyone to get up or be disturbed. Any negatives?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
No seat in front to put your hand luggage, so it has to go in the overhead. Monitors are in the armrest so no IFE during take off and landing too.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by kyanar
No seat in front to put your hand luggage, so it has to go in the overhead. Monitors are in the armrest so no IFE during take off and landing too.
Anyone know why they opted to put the monitors in the arm rest for the bulkhead rows on the 777s? we as the 789s have them on the wall.

Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
Originally Posted by toop28
Instead of starting a new thread just hoping on this one -

For NZ1 and NZ2 (from LAX to LHR), in PE - I was going to pay more for the seats in front - can anyone tell me their experience with those seats? Better as you don't need to disturb anyone to get up or be disturbed. Any negatives?
I always prefer the next row back- place to put your hand luggage. You wont disturb anyone getting in and out of seat as the space between the rows is adequate to move about without disturbing anyone else usually.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Anyone know why they opted to put the monitors in the arm rest for the bulkhead rows on the 777s? we as the 789s have them on the wall.

I don't know the answer but I do know the front row in the 789 is the worst because of the distance to the screen. The touch screen is unusable if you have your seat declined.
jawnbc likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Ah, forgot about that. Hand luggage that is. Plus water in pocket. Ok, thanks.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
[QUOTE=kyanar;28963231]No seat in front to put your hand luggage,

i had an argument with a guy on 804 the other night in 1C (I was in 2C) who wanted to stick all his stuff under his seat! Muppet
Old Oct 23, 2017, 4:16 am

Programs: NZ*G, United.
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I don't know the answer but I do know the front row in the 789 is the worst because of the distance to the screen. The touch screen is unusable if you have your seat declined.
Same on the SQ 380 in PE. And awkward distance if you wear glasses for long sight. well, for me anyway.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:23 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by Beano
Not for QFF either as you'll earn 520 status points (need 700 for QF Gold/OW Sapphire inc 4 QF sectors), but if you do some QF flying regularly particularly in Oz (given VA gives you no status credits on NZ) it might be well worthwhile (If you were on BAEC you earn 560 and the BAEC threshold for the equivalent status (Silver/OW Sapphire) is 600 (although you also need 4 BA sectors p/a and you can't join with an Australia/NZ address)).

Last edited by libertyuk; Oct 23, 2017 at 1:17 pm
Old Oct 30, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Those on here all know I'm a huge Spaceseat fan but I'm actually going to defend the Zodiac seats.

First of all they aren't "new" - they've now been in use for 3 years on the 777 and 789, and in that time I've probably had 7 or 8 Zodiac PE flights. I've yet to ever hear a single person complain about the seat on a flight.

This can be compared to the Spaceseat which was a constant cause of complaints on every flight. I don't think I've ever been on a Spaceseat flight where somebody nearby hasn't complained about the seat to crew or had to get the crew to help them tilt the seat forward/back since it relies on your body weight.

The Spaceseat is an incredibly polarising product and once you've flown on it you'll have an immediate view - it's safe to say that probably sits around 50% hating and 50% loving it. I don't think can have an "it's OK" answer.

The FSM's I've chatted to all pretty much have this same view, and I've yet to ever speak to one who didn't think the new seat was an improvement for the very fact people actually stopped complaining.

Yes I dislike the Spaceseat going and I definitely don't sleep as well in the Zodiac seat.

Yes I dislike the fact accountants have become involved in the move to 2-4-2 as I loved the middle because it meant I had plenty of space and direct aisle access.

Is there a big difference between the Zodiac and the Spaceseat? That really depends if you loved or hated the Spaceseat. I think it's a great seat - it's just IMHO it's not as good as the Spaceseat it replaces. There will be plenty of others on here who couldn't wait to see the end of the Spaceseat as they thought it was terrible.

I love NZ's PE product and see the Elite APD upgrade price as one of the true bargains in this world.

In the last week I managed to fly AKL - IAH on the "new" PE seat and back from LAX - AKL last night on the space Seat configuration . . . I am totally 50/50 on which one I prefer. The functionality of the new PE, the ability to exit my seat with out disturbing the passenger beside me and the more traditional orientation were a plus. The leg rest and support bar? not sure on that feature, designed for Hobbits? additional there was a "lug" protruding from the foot rest digging into my calf all flight. Over all slightly less comfortable than the space seat experienced last night . .

This was old, tired, clunky, took forever to work out the mechanics of it. The orientation was all wrong, screen, table . . just all bad! As was disturbing my neighbor to exit Was much more comfortable though than the new offering though.

Just my 5 cents worth . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.