FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Additional Lounges for AKL? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1869405-additional-lounges-akl.html)

cavemanzk Sep 28, 2017 8:25 pm

Additional Lounges for AKL?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/973...ckland-airport

Looks like NZ is pushing for more space at AKL to create more lounges, wonder if we could see an Business Lounge/Elite? and the current lounge becoming Gold/Koru.

Or would they been wanting another lounge close to Peir B?

Kiwi Flyer Sep 28, 2017 8:38 pm

Perhaps positioning for having more space allocated in the new domestic terminal (when it finally is built)?

samjnz Sep 29, 2017 9:31 am

That new AKL lounge gets way too crowded during the early evening.

I’m surprised they can’t reopen that old lounge space next to QF maybe as a Business/elite lounge

Kiwi Flyer Sep 29, 2017 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by samjnz (Post 28873638)
That new AKL lounge gets way too crowded during the early evening.

I’m surprised they can’t reopen that old lounge space next to QF maybe as a Business/elite lounge

That is now the Strata lounge, operated by the airport, and is used by many airlines as well as accepting pay per use entry. The old Emperor lounge downstairs is closed (to be replaced by more shops I think).

kiwicyclo Sep 29, 2017 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer (Post 28871800)
Perhaps positioning for having more space allocated in the new domestic terminal (when it finally is built)?

TDM (New Domestic Terminal) is all go . . . .

SFO_FT Oct 3, 2017 12:02 pm

The overcrowding is entirely the making of NZ as they've been handing out and selling those one-time entry passes more than ever before.

samyoull Oct 3, 2017 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by SFO_FT (Post 28889365)
The overcrowding is entirely the making of NZ as they've been handing out and selling those one-time entry passes more than ever before.

They haven't sold one time passes in a couple years. I have a bunch from credit card spend though, although I can never use them.

samjnz Oct 4, 2017 9:15 am

Has anyone been to the Strata lounge in the old AirNZ space?

I hear it's a Priority Pass lounge -- if it's quiet it's almost tempting to go there since that main NZ lounge isn't relaxing at all during the evening widebody departure block.

NZbutterfly Oct 4, 2017 4:56 pm

Checked it out once, maybe 4pmish and there was plenty of seats available then. There is a shared long bench work area with seats with backs. Can power up lap top etc. There's a kids tv room also. Otherwise a fairly large open plan area. Air NZ has a nicer variety of seating areas I think. Toilets are inside the lounge. Can't remember about showers. No tarmac views.

They are opening a spa and sleep pods in November (?end). Verbal from the front desk staff. I'll be keen to check out the sleep pods etc just to be nosey and see if the spa is free or at a cost.

I think Air NZ's food is nicer. There was pasta, roast veggies and butter chicken. Some reasonable little cakes. Wine was ok, there is beer as well. Didn't notice any bubbles but wasn't really looking. Juices and a hot drink machine.

If it's just a bit of peace and quiet you're after then it's worth a look. Especially if you already have priority pass.

I guess I still like my tarmac views so I'm still happy hanging with NZ:) But it is nice to have an alternative if I fly another carrier.

WLGNZ Oct 4, 2017 6:56 pm

Think I will check it out on my next departure as the AirNZ lounge has standing room only in the evenings. A little quiet space would be great.

poopbunny Oct 4, 2017 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly (Post 28894716)
I think Air NZ's food is nicer. There was pasta, roast veggies and butter chicken.

Yes, but these hot food options are also available very late at night

From my Experience

During Lunch & Dinner times
NZ > Strata/Emperor

Late afternoon / Late night
NZ < Strata (due to lack of hot options in NZ)

Kiwi Flyer Oct 6, 2017 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by samjnz (Post 28892885)

I hear it's a Priority Pass lounge -- if it's quiet it's almost tempting to go there since that main NZ lounge isn't relaxing at all during the evening widebody departure block.

I'll try it in a week or so. I guess it will be busy in the evening given the sky team and non-aligned airlines generally used to use the emperor lounge (which now no longer exists).

Kiwi Flyer Oct 23, 2017 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by samjnz (Post 28892885)

While the decor has been refreshed, that is about the only positive over the old Emperor lounge. There doesn't seem to be enough seating for peak periods (my visit was when there were only 2 departures not by *A or OW airlines and the lounge was moderately full), although there does seem to be space to cram in more seats (distance between seating is generous).

Food & beverage okay without being great.

Only 2 toilets so long queue to use them.

No shower.

The only newspapers were Chinese. The only magazines were crap. Very few tvs or even flight monitors.

Bub001 Oct 24, 2017 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer (Post 28968964)
While the decor has been refreshed, that is about the only positive over the old Emperor lounge. There doesn't seem to be enough seating for peak periods (my visit was when there were only 2 departures not by *A or OW airlines and the lounge was moderately full), although there does seem to be space to cram in more seats (distance between seating is generous).

Food & beverage okay without being great.

Only 2 toilets so long queue to use them.

No shower.

The only newspapers were Chinese. The only magazines were crap. Very few tvs or even flight monitors.

Their website clearly says that there are showers....

Kiwi Flyer Oct 24, 2017 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Bub001 (Post 28969397)
Their website clearly says that there are showers....

So I see. I didn't find showers when I was in the Strata lounge.

The website also refers to newspapers. While in the strictest sense newspapers were available, most users of the lounge would not have been able to read them.