FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   anyone affected by the AKL fuel shortage? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1867417-anyone-affected-akl-fuel-shortage.html)

mmonster Sep 17, 2017 5:58 pm

anyone affected by the AKL fuel shortage?

just curious, looks like most NZ services to Oz are fine where VA flights are to go through CHC or even WLG for refueling.

I know some services to LAX, SFO are through Nadi and one flight to NRT is making a stop at BNE. Apart from the list of cancellations, most domestic, the impact is not as severe, but I do hope it will be solved soon.

brenrox Sep 17, 2017 10:29 pm

A friend was due to fly VA APW-AKL...next flight wasn't until 22/9, so are doing APW-SYD-MEL-WLG and have to find own way to AKL:eek:

zebranz Sep 17, 2017 10:53 pm

Air NZ Cancellations thus far announced: (on NZ web site under travel alerts)
Monday 18 September=
NZ722 Melbourne to Auckland
NZ543 Auckland to Christchurch
NZ550 Christchurch to Auckland
NZ413 Auckland to Wellington
NZ420 Wellington to Auckland
NZ437 Auckland to Wellington
NZ444 Wellington to Auckland

Tuesday 19 September=
NZ718 Sydney to Auckland
NZ719 Auckland to Sydney
NZ411 Auckland to Wellington
NZ418 Wellington to Auckland
NZ429 Auckland to Wellington
NZ428 Wellington to Auckland
NZ538 Christchurch to Auckland
NZ543 Auckland to Christchurch
NZ555 Auckland to Christchurch
NZ566 Christchurch to Auckland

Wednesday 20 September=
NZ413 Auckland to Wellington
NZ420 Wellington to Auckland
NZ430 Auckland to Wellington
NZ440 Wellington to Auckland
NZ441 Auckland to Wellington
NZ412 Wellington to Auckland
NZ535 Auckland to Christchurch
NZ546 Christchurch to Auckland
NZ555 Auckland to Christchurch
NZ566 Christchurch to Auckland
NZ617 Auckland to Queenstown
NZ620 Queenstown to Auckland

===
my next NZ flight on 22 Sept. NZ still selling seats for it.

Flygirlnz Sep 17, 2017 10:59 pm

Yup. Supposed to be flying AKL- WLG on Wed. Sunday am, flights showed as unavailable til Thu, that afternoon, they opened up again, and today, the new one was cancelled. They had released the cx list for Mon and Tue up til lunchtime today, but then added the Wed ones this afternoon. I managed to shift from the cx service to a flight later in the day.
Typical NZ-in-a-disrupt: nothing from the airline, I found out via Tripit alert...

Also tried to book an overnight courier ex AKL today (perishable...please keep a straight face...baking for Uni daughter) to be told they couldn't guarantee overnight, given the fuel situation. Awesome. I actually have a win in the competitive-mothering stakes to be knocked out at the last hurdle. Gutted. And on a sugar high.

oranjemakker Sep 18, 2017 12:12 am

Out of seven upcoming flights this week, six of which on Air NZ, only one disrupt so far on Weds AKL-WEL, not too bad only one hour

My major worry is my Friday flight to Vancouver, but guessing they wont mess too much with the long hauls?

airsurfer Sep 18, 2017 12:45 am

Originally Posted by oranjemakker (Post 28828126)
My major worry is my Friday flight to Vancouver, but guessing they wont mess too much with the long hauls?

NZ 24 seems to be unaffected.

EK449 flew via CHC today and will fly through MEL tomorrow.
But QR921 seems to be unaffected.

It appears to be a major problem.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-jet-fuel-pipe

Shamrock55 Sep 18, 2017 1:57 am

Just got a txt saying NZ80 HKG-AKL this evening will stop in Brisbane for refueling.

oranjemakker Sep 18, 2017 2:59 am

Originally Posted by Shamrock55 (Post 28828334)
Just got a txt saying NZ80 HKG-AKL this evening will stop in Brisbane for refueling.

Have they advised how much time this adds to the flight?

gratn Sep 18, 2017 3:26 am

Looks like my AKL-WGN domestic sector may be cancelled on Thursday. The equivalent tomorrow is cancelled, so guess I will find out tomorrow if my Thursday flight is operating. It's life, as long as I can grab another flight down. At least there's no suggestion yet of problems on my return sector ...

irishguy28 Sep 18, 2017 4:06 am

Strange that the inbound stops for refuelling, as it should have a sufficient load on board from HKG. But perhaps they are picking up enough to operate HKG-BNE-AKL-BNE and will refuel for the actual destination on the way back.

Cathay Pacific is stopping at BNE on the outbound to refuel; Qatar is leaving 2 hours early tomorrow and the day after, presumably to pick up fuel somewhere; Emirates is stopping at Christchurch, and from tomorrow, at MEL to fuel up for DXB.

THR Sep 18, 2017 4:53 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 28828620)
Strange that the inbound stops for refuelling, as it should have a sufficient load on board from HKG. But perhaps they are picking up enough to operate HKG-BNE-AKL-BNE and will refuel for the actual destination on the way back.

That's precisely what they are doing.

oranjemakker Sep 18, 2017 3:14 pm

Honolulu diverted via Melbourne

Just overheard FA telling some pax in front of me their honolulu flight is diverted via Melbourne to refuel

That seems like a serious detour?

Why not Christchurch, or are they running low too?

mmonster Sep 18, 2017 3:21 pm

I think this is to protect the outbound to Oz again out from AKL. most direct services to Oz from AKL on NZ are not impacted (see the likes of VA where they have to fly the opposite direction to refuel)...

this is really sharing the pain...... I cannot complaint as I am on to Oz Thursday morning and looking at the schedules for the past few days, all is normal apart from a few wide bodies that got cancelled

oranjemakker Sep 18, 2017 4:17 pm

The cynic in me

Just wondering, air nz seem to be consolidating a lot of domestic flights so presumably running very high load factors.

And would they be covered by insurance for other increased costs of doing business?

While I appreciate that this is a situation entirely outside of their control could they actually end up saving money?

jawnbc Sep 18, 2017 4:27 pm

I'm booked on it for Friday too. As long as they don't add a fuel stop in Merka (HNL) I'll be happy.

Originally Posted by oranjemakker (Post 28828126)
Out of seven upcoming flights this week, six of which on Air NZ, only one disrupt so far on Weds AKL-WEL, not too bad only one hour