Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air NZ app Apple Pay issues

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Air NZ app Apple Pay issues

Anyone else have an Apple Pay card loaded, open the Air NZ app to the QR code to let the gate kiosk scan it only to have the Apple Pay prompt come up multiple times completely obscuring the QR code? Only happening since Air NZ changed their kiosks over to the new ones in the past few months.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:36 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
No issues here and I'm confused - Why would Apple Pay come up?

I experienced no problems loading the boarding pass onto the Wallet App or using the Air NZ directly.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:51 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints - Gold Elite, Velocity - Platinum, Qantas - Gold
Originally Posted by codyc1515
Anyone else have an Apple Pay card loaded, open the Air NZ app to the QR code to let the gate kiosk scan it only to have the Apple Pay prompt come up multiple times completely obscuring the QR code? Only happening since Air NZ changed their kiosks over to the new ones in the past few months.
Yep this happens to me quite often. It's a bit annoying, but most of the time I can get my boarding pass scanned before the Apple Pay comes up.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dadig
Why would Apple Pay come up?
I assume iOS thinks that the gate kiosk looks like a payment terminal, so it pops up. It's the same screen as when I hold my phone over a payment terminal.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
I suppose if you double press the home button and then switch to the boarding pass it might cause the behaviour you are reporting?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:47 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Are you keeping your NZ digital BP in the NZ app, or adding it to your wallet? Adding it to your wallet might mitigate this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dadig
I suppose if you double press the home button and then switch to the boarding pass it might cause the behaviour you are reporting?
Nah, it's not this.

Originally Posted by jawnbc
Are you keeping your NZ digital BP in the NZ app, or adding it to your wallet? Adding it to your wallet might mitigate this.
My friend said he added them to the Wallet which meant he didn't have the issue anymore. Makes sense.
jawnbc likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:52 am

Programs: NZ *G
Just had it happen to me in Wellington. Very odd. I just took my finger away from the home button and ignored it.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Sounds like the reader may also have an NFC transmitter? if the iPhone detects NFC it automatically assumes it's a payment terminal and opens Apple Pay.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by jawnbc
Apple wallet also good back up if your flight doesn't accrue given they are going paperless. But I am struggling to think of when that's ever happened for me on NZ.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: NZ*G,Accor-Gold
When I was wearing my Apple Watch I would put the qr code on wallet and use that as the airnz app on the watch would turn off the display when you turned your arm
Over to scan. Wallet on the watch wouldn’t.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Craig Whitmore
When I was wearing my Apple Watch I would put the qr code on wallet and use that as the airnz app on the watch would turn off the display when you turned your arm
Over to scan. Wallet on the watch wouldn’t.
Yes, I've also had this issue. Given the angle that the scanners are on, the fact that they even offer the Apple Watch app with a boarding pass is simply odd as the screen will always turn off. Poor customer experience.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: NZ*G,Accor-Gold
The fix was to turn arm over and then click on the screen to make the screen alive
Again. I was one of them the first to get the watch and had a few months of strange looks of the check in and lounge staff when I used to use it (the app was out before the watch was available in NZ and I got mine in Australia on day one)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.