Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

anyone affected by the AKL fuel shortage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

anyone affected by the AKL fuel shortage?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
My flights WLG-AKL yesterday were not affected. I even managed to change my 7:00 pm return flight to 5:00 pm and was offered 5:30 or 6:00 as well.
From looking at the operations you can tell they are trying to save fuel and that no domestic A320 I saw took on fuel, so tanking operations must be working. I do wonder though does ZQN have sufficient supply for the domestic operations as I do not recall seeing the domestic flights being refuelled there, due to cost. I guess ZQN need to refuel the Trans Tasman flights so they must have a decent supply.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Just wondering, air nz seem to be consolidating a lot of domestic flights so presumably running very high load factors.

And would they be covered by insurance for other increased costs of doing business?

While I appreciate that this is a situation entirely outside of their control could they actually end up saving money?
talking about utilizing opportunities. it really depends on which side you are standing on, their share prices have actually dropped.... and there would be one or two angry souls out there that would complaint to the nth degree so it is adding pressure on to call centre etc. The cost of communicating to customers would be substantial as well as scheduling and purchasing fuel from out ports might be more expensive (with the lack of service agreements). Landing fees and extra time are on top.

so I do not think they are making anything out of this. They would have reschedule their services like Jet Star (sarcastic) if they wanted to as Business As Usual.... a lot of airlines do that and I am sure NZ does it to AKL - WLG, AKL - CHC
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Looks like they are flying at least one 772 (with no pax) AKL-WLG RT, just to refuel as stocks in the Pacific are dwindling.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Tuesday 19 September
NZ99 Auckland to Narita - Refuel in Brisbane
NZ175 Auckland to Perth - Refuel in Melbourne
NZ87 Auckland to Hong Kong - Refuel in Brisbane
NZ245 Auckland to Denpasar - Refuel in Brisbane
NZ6 Auckland to Los Angeles - Refuel in Nadi
NZ8 Auckland to Los Angeles - Refuel in Nadi
NZ24 Auckland to Vancouver - Refuel in Noumea

-QR 921 AKL-DOH was moved earlier by 2 hours on 19&20th.
I am on Fridays flight and waiting to see as if 2 hours earlier will miss with my flight from ZQN (if flying). Unfortunately NZ not posting any changes/cancellations past tomorrow (Wednesday). Both NZ and QR web site have "Travel Alerts" showing flights affected.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by brenrox
Looks like they are flying at least one 772 (with no pax) AKL-WLG RT, just to refuel as stocks in the Pacific are dwindling.
Was wondering when NAN was going to start to run low, an extra 2-3 777 daily is probably doubling there fuel useage.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:30 pm

Programs: NZ*G
Is the Harbour at Onehunga still operational? Surely they could ship in Fuel straight there? Makes Logical sense..
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:36 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Sam_87
Is the Harbour at Onehunga still operational? Surely they could ship in Fuel straight there? Makes Logical sense..
Would take 3-4 days for an ship to reach Onehunga as its on the wrong coast.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:00 am

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by Sam_87
Not enough draft for the tankers. More logical would be to set up Wynyard Wharf for Jet A1 offloads, which I believe is under consideration.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:30 am

Programs: NZ Silver
I see the flight to SGN has been cancelled...wonder if they are using this as an excuse for cancelling due to poor flight loadings....I can't see why they wouldn't just re-fuel via Australia
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Originally Posted by brenrox
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/970...crisis-deepens

Has info about the refueling in WLG for the 772.

A spokeswoman said the airline had closed sales for new bookings to all long haul and Pacific Island destinations for travel through until Sunday and all trans-Tasman services for travel tomorrow and Thursday.
It looks like the fuel issue really is starting to bite and it is probably a week away from the pipeline being fixed.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Have they advised how much time this adds to the flight?
It was due to land in AKL 3 hours late, but then when we were boarding there was a handwritten sign at the gate saying we were now not stopping in Brisbane. Chatting to the crew they were very relieved! Must suck for them having to go through the whole landing\takeoff sequence twice.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:25 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
The 777 that went to WLG was is flying out to BNE in the morning.

V​​​A AKL-MEL in the morning is flying via WLG to fuel up.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
Am I correct in believing that all main trunk and regional fares seem to have exploded in past few days? I was looking to fly PMR -AKL tomorrow and the fare was circa $400. Flights from Chc-AKL are off the planet, even the 540am flight
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:37 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Markhm
Am I correct in believing that all main trunk and regional fares seem to have exploded in past few days? I was looking to fly PMR -AKL tomorrow and the fare was circa $400. Flights from Chc-AKL are off the planet, even the 540am flight
I was looking at WLG to CHC over the past few days. No sub $155 fares until the week after next.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:20 am

CHC-AKL r/t tomorrow is $938

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.