Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

anyone affected by the AKL fuel shortage?

anyone affected by the AKL fuel shortage?

Old Sep 19, 17, 7:36 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum, VA Gold
Originally Posted by Markhm View Post
Am I correct in believing that all main trunk and regional fares seem to have exploded in past few days? I was looking to fly PMR -AKL tomorrow and the fare was circa $400. Flights from Chc-AKL are off the planet, even the 540am flight
Regional gotta go fare capped at $169? Call 90 min prior.
825am 33 seats on seat map, seems good chance.
Or flexitime it
Old Sep 19, 17, 1:59 pm

Programs: NZ*S, GHA Gold
With Air NZ cancelling multiple flights, they will be running at very high loadings. So there will be minimal seats available, hence the high prices.
Old Sep 19, 17, 9:18 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite*G; Skywards Gold; SPG/Marriott Gold; Accor Gold; GHA Platinum; Hertz President's Circle
Mmm....I was due to be on NZ269 AKL-SGN today, but had to reschedule my trip out until the end of October yesterday afternoon. Wonder if Air NZ will refund my change fee in the circumstances?
Old Sep 20, 17, 1:23 am

Programs: QF (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
My work related trip to AKL is cancelled due to the moratorium on public service travel to AKL.
I am pretty relieved as I did not want to go anyway.
Old Sep 20, 17, 5:44 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum, VA Gold
Apart from an EK flight AKL-MEL on Sunday, there are no flights to BNE or SYD on QF's website. That's pretty nuts! EK still selling tickets on their own metal to BNE as well, so a bit weird QF aren't selling that. Called QF and agent said no planes planned for Sun.

NZ&VA flights go out too early for my liking, the evening flight isn't offered so..... it's either EK or CI for me. Same price.
Old Sep 20, 17, 7:56 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Air New Zealand Gold Elite; Qantas Platinum; China Southern Gold; Marriott PPE; Accor Gold
Website not being updated...good or bad?

The NZ travel alert page around this https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/trav...Fruk6G6vA7Qy5p hasnt been updated and still lists all yesterdays cancellations. And only 3 listed for today (which were already published yesterday) and none for tomorrow.

Also no flights listed for refueling tomorrow.

Wonder if this means the situation has stabilised? (or its even worse and they dont want to tell us!!!)
Old Sep 20, 17, 11:05 pm

Programs: QF (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Well NZ may not be flying via WLG but QF, VA and JQ seem to routing AKL to Australia flights via WLG today.
Old Sep 20, 17, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by Blackcloud View Post
Well NZ may not be flying via WLG but QF, VA and JQ seem to routing AKL to Australia flights via WLG today.
sure... but their equipment make this not possible to go through WLG.
QF and JQ are flying A330s which NZ do not have, the runway at WLG is not long enough to handle B772, 77W or 789 [Edit: with pax and bags] so they are sacrificing their in-bounding flights to stop at MEL or BNE from Asia or Nadi from NA to fuel up before they turn their planes around.

adding 25% to the travelling time 3 vs 4 hours to Oz is quite unacceptable and I can imagine a lot of people will be complaining their 8am today is going through WLG to SYD.

Air NZ has been upgrading a few of their SYD services to 789 or 777 so they still carry a 7XX number today's 7am to SYD is operated by 789 although it was scheduled for A320 originally
Old Sep 21, 17, 12:20 am

Programs: NZ Koru
A1244/17 - AD OPERATIONAL BUT CTN ADZ DUE LTD FUEL AVBL. FUEL FOR SCHEDULED
FLIGHTS IS AVBL. NON-SCHEDULED FLIGHTS ARE TO MAKE PRIOR
ARRANGEMENTS WITH THE FOLLOWING FUEL SUPPLIERS ON EMAIL:
-PACIFIC ENERGY, EMAIL: RAJNESH.PRASAD AT P.ENERGY PHONE: 679 7757602
OR
-EXXON MOBIL, EMAIL: JOHN.V.MAARTENSZ AT EXXONMOBIL.COM PHONE:
61438700023. 18 SEP 04:59 2017 UNTIL 30 SEP 17:00 2017. CREATED: 18 SEP 04:59
Looks like Nadi is getting an bit low on fuel, as per the last NOTAM issued for NAN.
Old Sep 21, 17, 1:56 am

Programs: NZ *GE
Interesting to fly domestically today. My flight ex AKL was only 75% full (I thought it might get cancelled as the equivalent was cancelled on Tuesday), but my return flight about to depart ex WGN looks 99% full. Fuel weight causing brake heating is apparently the cause of a 15 minute schedule delay.
Old Sep 24, 17, 11:47 am

Programs: Air NZ *G
I was on NZ29 (IAH - AKL) on Friday, the day after that flight was cancelled. Prior to boarding an announcement was made requesting volunteers to relinquish their seats. The plane was overloaded due to several holdovers from Thursday's cancelled flight and carrying extra fuel. Initially no takers. A beat was skipped. Then another announcement: "We forgot to mention, in addition to hotels and meals, volunteers who are delayed will each receive $1,300 USD." There was no shortage of takers after that.
Beano likes this.
Old Sep 25, 17, 2:23 am

Programs: NZ *E, Accor Platinum, Hertz President’s Circle
Originally Posted by musselpoint View Post
I was on NZ29 (IAH - AKL) on Friday, the day after that flight was cancelled. Prior to boarding an announcement was made requesting volunteers to relinquish their seats. The plane was overloaded due to several holdovers from Thursday's cancelled flight and carrying extra fuel. Initially no takers. A beat was skipped. Then another announcement: "We forgot to mention, in addition to hotels and meals, volunteers who are delayed will each receive $1,300 USD." There was no shortage of takers after that.
Conveniently forgot to mention😀....people respond to incentives!